Author Topic: XP freezes  (Read 1857 times)

drfrankc

XP freezes
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:17:48 AM »
Hi all,
Don't know if I'm the only one on the planet with this problem but I thought I'd share it. I first noticed the problem when I tried to access my networked attached storage device (ReadyNAS Duo). I could open the share and view files and folders but as soon as I clicked one, the computer running Windows XP Media Center 2002 service pack 3 would freeze up. The mouse could move but there was no response to clicks I couldn't get into task manager and the only way I'd get out was to unplug the computer. This did not occur accessing a second local drive. It did occur accessing a networked attached storage device I have through a VPN (Buffalo Terastation) but it didn't freeze until I had tooled around quite a bit. Well, I isolated the problem to Avast Standard Shield in High sensitivity mode. I just updated to Avast Home 4.8 and tried setting the Standard Shield to normal and this seems to be working. So if I'm not the only one I hope this helps someone.

drfrankc

Re: XP freezes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:58:29 AM »
On further testing my computer froze again. However on restart I terminated  Standard Shield and I was able to access the folder which previously froze me up. I'm not sure why Standard Shield would cause this problem if that is the case nor am I certain that I have solved the problem but it seems to have.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: XP freezes
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
We'd need a full memory dump (taken at the moment the computer is frozen) to inspect the problem.

Here is a description on how to generate the dump (the discussed problem is unrelated and very old - but the description is valid). However, you'd need a PS/2 keyboard to do that... if you have a USB keyboard, it wouldn't work.