Author Topic: Safari challenges Chrome on Web app speed!!!!!!!  (Read 14154 times)

samuelvirucide

Safari challenges Chrome on Web app speed!!!!!!!
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:09:31 AM »
Hi to all avast forum member,

What can you say about the new safari 4 beta challenging googles  Chrome browser in web app. speed???

This is the link of the whole article on this matter http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10171145-2.html?tag=mncol;posts

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Safari challenges Chrome on Web app speed!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:59:18 AM »
I'll stick with SRWare Iron. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:14:31 AM »
I Have the Safari 4 Beta and its faster than Safari 3 for sure but I dont have any experience with chrome to compare it to(there is no Chrome for Mac).

One thing that is welcome is that Apple has address the biggest gripe of windows users, Safari on Windows now has a Interface Just for windows instead of using the Mac GUI on both platforms so it no longer sticks out like a sore thumb on Vista/Win 7.

Full Rundown is HERE
Those who use Safari on Windows get everything discussed here, plus some additional Windows-only changes. Until now, Safari on Windows has looked very much like Safari on the Mac—the user interface, buttons, and even the font rendering were all taken directly from OS X. While Safari looks perfectly at home on OS X, it looked completely out of place in Windows XP or Vista, having an interface that was unlike anything else on the platform (except for iTunes!).

Safari 4 Beta solves that problem by adopting a true Windows-native appearance, including native Windows font rendering. (Mac-style font rendering is available as an option in Safari 4 Beta’s preferences.) No longer does Safari look completely out of place when running on Windows; it now looks like it belongs on the operating system, which is a good thing if you’re a Windows Safari user.

EDIT: Just like the early developer releases of Safari 4, the beta fully passes the Acid3 test. Safari was the first browser to pass Acid2 as well.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:58:45 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:38:29 AM »
And speed (unless abysmal) will move how many users?

The first startup of Firefox is (to say the least) at present somewhat sluggish ...  but do I care?  Not one whit. After that it is as fast as I want it ... and I like it.  Isn't that what matters most in a product ... I like it?   Isn't that what is needed to
move me to a different product  ... something I like more?

Please tell me about features in a new Safari that make me want to make it my preferred browser ... speed (after fast enough) is a non-starter.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:18:15 AM »
What good is ultimate rendering engine if webpage loading hangs half way on stupid counters, banners and other ad junk thats hosted on snail slow servers? Firefox with AdBlock and Opera with its integrated Content Blocker pwns both, Safari and Chrome regarding this. Besides, both Safari and Chrome lack many features i just can't live without. Mouse gestures for example. Bookmarks and passwords synchronization. AdBlocking.
Without these features, browser is useless to me.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:29:51 AM »

What good is ultimate rendering engine if webpage loading hangs half way on stupid counters, banners and other ad junk thats hosted on snail slow servers? Firefox with AdBlock and Opera with its integrated Content Blocker pwns both, Safari and Chrome regarding this. Besides, both Safari and Chrome lack many features i just can't live without. Mouse gestures for example. Bookmarks and passwords synchronization. AdBlocking.

I will have to agree. Speed is nice but without the built-in applications/features that one needs or likes, a browser is just another browser among the many.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:57 AM »
While I observe is is usual for CharleyO to publicly thank just about every post of polonus and RejZoR (no problem they are both great contributors - though I doubt that either need a personal thank you from you for every post)  ... may I ask CharleyO (who must know since he agrees with it) or RejZoR himself what "pwns" is a short form of? 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:19:50 AM by alanrf »

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »

It's not really a short form of a word but a changed word. Remove the p and replace it with an o.

Many forums will block the original word (with the o) and so, many posters will replace the o with a p.

In the usage that RejZoR posted above, it means that something is much better than something else.

By the way, there have been a few times I have disagreed with RejZoR and once or twice maybe when I have disagreed with Polonus ... though with both, it has been quite a while since that has occurred. Well, at least publicly it has been quite a while.

Perhaps it is that I have similar thoughts and ideas on subjects that they post. As you might have also observed, I do not start many posts. My time is limited and therefore, I am usually reading & answering or replying in posts/threads started by others.

And, there have been times when I have agreed with you, alan ... as well as times when you have corrected me on misinformation I gave. I haved publicly thanked you for that.

I hope this has answered your question. If not, please let me know.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:33:03 AM by CharleyO »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 11:18:41 AM »
Sorry, i often use short geek speak words. "pwn" means "pwnage" or in words that regular people use, this means that something is absolutelly superior to something else. This is often used in online first person shooters when you win against someone else by a huge number of frags and you can say "I pwned you!".
Anyway... ;D

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »

Safari has many add-ons just like Firefox(although mostly for the Mac version)  and supports bookmark and password sync for MobileMe users. Safari has built in Ad Blocking like firefox and there are more add-ons if the built in blocker is not enough. Mouse gestures are available as a add-on.
http://www.apple.com/safari/features.html

In other world Safari is just as feature complete as any other browser and it all boils down to personal preference. If you prefer Firefox or Opera thats your choice. But Safari is a legitimate choice for many users now.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »
Well Mac specific plugins and extras are as good as if they don't even exist. And as far as ad blocking, last time i tried it, there was only popup blocking. Every browser has that. But not many have actual ad blocking that blocks and removes banners.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:01:01 PM »
Hi browser users,

I follow bob3160 and also CharleyO here. I have the following browsers for testing I use: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b2) Gecko/20081201 Firefox/3.1b2 - Build ID: 20081201080242 and for surfing I use Flock, when things are not rendered as they should I never have any problem using the same browser as bob3160 SRWare's Iron with the adblocking.ini installed. For searching I link to scandoo.com in SRWare's Iron, to have some form of pre-link scanning of sorts.
It is a pity they ask money for it, but else I would have liked to try the new security browser Opus9, but you can only try it out for 30 or 60 days now, but it has been compiled and built up completely new from the ground up again. For a real security oriented browser from the makers of MS we have to wait just a little while until Microsoft will be launching its experimental Gazelle browser, but a browser that we can throw away with the eventual exploits and malware as a virtual application is the only way to solve a lot of the problems we have with security in browsers to-day as I see it,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »
I'm using Firefox 3.2 Alpha 1 Pre-release at the moment. All existing extensions work with extensions.checkCompatibility trick. And it's fast. ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 10:59:21 PM »
I'm using Firefox 3.2 Alpha 1 Pre-release at the moment. All existing extensions work with extensions.checkCompatibility trick. And it's fast. ;D
Good to know that easy times are ahead... compatibility is one of the worst problems with FF right now as all of us depend on our favorite extensions to have our personal browsing experience.
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 11:04:45 PM »
Takes exactly few seconds to add extensions.checkCompatibility as boolean to about:config and set it to false. Restart browser and voila.
Rarely ever any extension breaks. So far GMail Notifier, FireGestures, Foxmarks and AdBlock Plus work without any problems.