Author Topic: Unable to unschedule boot time scan, help me please =)  (Read 14455 times)

Rimmel

Unable to unschedule boot time scan, help me please =)
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »
Hello i am having the problem of my pc doing a bootimescan everytime i restart etc, simply trying to unschedule a bootimescan will not work full stop, here are my values.

BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ PDBoot.exe autocheck autochk * aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English" /KBD:2

This is driving me insane. :/

PS: This problem only happened when i scheduled a boot time scan just to be sure everything was fine, but i am unable to unschedule the scan no matter how many times i click the Bootimescan is already scheduled would you like to unschedule it to which i say yes. I have uninstalled avast and reinstalled avast twice now and it still does a bootime scan every boot even after saying no to scheduling a bootime scan after the install.

I am unable to run my weekly Perfect Disk boot time defrag now as a result because the bootime scan messes everything up. :/

Thank you

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Unable to unschedule boot time scan, help me please =)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »
Hello i am having the problem of my pc doing a bootimescan everytime i restart etc, simply trying to unschedule a bootimescan will not work full stop, here are my values.

BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ PDBoot.exe autocheck autochk * aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English" /KBD:2

Please attach (or upload to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming) the registry value as an export from regedit. I need to see where the binary zeroes are, so the text format is not good.

PS: This problem only happened when i scheduled a boot time scan just to be sure everything was fine, but i am unable to unschedule the scan no matter how many times i click the Bootimescan is already scheduled would you like to unschedule it to which i say yes

Were you logged as an administrator?
Also, it might be useful to try disabling avast! Self-defense first (settings / Troubleshooting page).

Rimmel

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »
Okay i have uploaded it to the ftp link you have supplied as it wont attach here as it is to big ie: 376kb

Thank you =)

Rimmel

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
Okay disabling the self defence module had no effect, i again i set it to also unschedule then  i restarted my pc, it is still scanning. I checked again the self defence module was disabled so i tried to unschedule the bootime scan again then restarted again.

Still it is scanning. :/

igor, thank you for helping me :)

I will await further instuctions. =)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »
Rimmel, why don't you edit that particular registry key removing the string:
 aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English" /KBD:2
including the first blank space? Won't it stop the boot time scanning?

Also, avast should remove that entry just running: C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\sched.exe /D
The best things in life are free.

Rimmel

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
Rimmel, why don't you edit that particular registry key removing the string:
 aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English" /KBD:2
including the first blank space? Won't it stop the boot time scanning?

Also, avast should remove that entry just running: C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\sched.exe /D

So you mean like remove everything after the astrix * like >>>  aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English" /KBD:2

Should i do it, it wont ruin anything will it. =)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »
So you mean like remove everything after the astrix * like >>>  aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English" /KBD:2
Yes.
Make a backup (save) the windows key just in case.
Better, before try to run the unschedule command I've posted before.

Rimmel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
Okay i tried to run the following >>>>  C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\sched.exe /D

and it said it could not find program, so i double checked the path through explorer and everything is as it should be, no idea as to why tis doing that. :/

Rimmel

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »
Okay it worked this time "i miskeyed twice" a dos box quickly flashed up so now i will check in the registry to see. =)

Restarting windows as the entry has not changed, i will see if a restart settles it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:23:48 PM by Rimmel_Gal »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »
The value in the registry key is just as it's supposed to be... nothing that may cause avast! to miss the entry, or anything like that.
It seems like "something" on your computer is preventing the value to be changed... but I must say I don't know what it might be.
So, nothing changes even when avast! self-defense modules are disabled (meaning the "Disable avast! self-sefence..." checkbox on the Troubleshooting page is checked), right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »
Okay i tried to run the following >>>>  C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\sched.exe /D

and it said it could not find program, so i double checked the path through explorer and everything is as it should be, no idea as to why tis doing that. :/
Use
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\sched.exe /D"

Rimmel

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »
The value in the registry key is just as it's supposed to be... nothing that may cause avast! to miss the entry, or anything like that.
It seems like "something" on your computer is preventing the value to be changed... but I must say I don't know what it might be.
So, nothing changes even when avast! self-defense modules are disabled (meaning the "Disable avast! self-sefence..." checkbox on the Troubleshooting page is checked), right?

Correct, that defence module is checked.

I will quickly run through the list of protections i have installed on my pc.

1> Tall Emu's Online Armour "latest def's update"

2> Spybot Search & Destroy "Latest version etc"

3> SpywareBlaster "Latest update"

Now plese keep in mind that this problem with Avast only occured a little over a week ago when i elected to do a boot time scan to ensure everything was in order, so it allowed me to set to schedule a bootimescan and did so without problem accepting those changes [Note] this is the 1st time i have ever manually scheduled a boot time scan, apart from the initial scan that it did after avast installation. But it now refuses to unschedule this. "Curious"

PS: igor a reminder to you that i have uploaded the file to the ftp link you pasted. =)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:21:24 PM by Rimmel_Gal »

Rimmel

:D! :D! :) :)
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

igor Tech you rock boys!!!!! you all do :D

igor your suggestion that something else on my pc may have been the cause was right on!
1st i disconnected from the net then disabled completely my Online Armor firewall, still the same on reboot. So i re enabled Online armor.

2nd i disabled safer networkings SpyBot Search&Destroy and applied the unschedule parameters again then rebooted. Bingo! no scan happened :) so i rebooted again allowing spybot to reinstate & the boot time scan was back!

So i uninstalled Spybot Search & Destroy completely, and restarted my pc after reapplying the unschedule parameter. Well well well :P No boot time scan, i have restarted my pc like 4 or 5 times since just to make sure & sure enough the problem is now gone. :)

So then i thought to reinstall SpyBot Search & Destroy n Booom! the scan was back, how curious so now Spybot has be uninstalled again and my pc is back to normal, no more forced bootimescans etc.

A quick note: Spybot search & Destroy had a major version change about a week ago so that may also have something to do with it. SpyBot Search & Destroy was the culprit! 100% guaranteed! So safer networking need to address this as spybot is a good program, but i will not choose it over a total antivirus solution like avast.

So guy's thank you lots n lots for you kind help....& a biiiig BaaaaaaaaaaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaaaBooooooooM huuuuuggzzzzzzz to you both, you both rock!

Thank you :)

SSllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammminnn!!!!! :)

Am happy now. :)

Later aligators :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 06:40:53 PM by Rimmel_Gal »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »
2nd i disabled safer networkings SpyBot Search&Destroy and applied the unschedule parameters again then rebooted.
Can you rephrase? What exactly did you disable? Can you post screenshots?

CharleyO

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 08:00:47 AM »

Probably Teatimer, Tech ... and I'll bet he/she had Teatimer set to not show when registry entries were blocked from being changed. That would most likely cause the problem ... Teatimer not allowing the registry change because it was told not to by the user. Tell me if I am wrong, Rimmel_Gal.

If this is true, then it is not the fault of Spybot's Teatimer module.