Author Topic: Where I can find a preset list of Whitelisted website for NoScript for firefox?  (Read 29419 times)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Are there any source to download a list to import in Whitelist and Blacklist for No-Script Add-on for Firefox? :)
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I wouldn't have though there would be a whitelist as that really would be individual preference. The rest are blacklisted by default, well not blacklisted as such but not allowed to run scripts until you temporarily or permanently allow them.

It won't take long for you to build up a whitelist of your favourite sites that you trust or ned to allow scripts to display, etc. You can export that list so you save it and can import it into a new installation, etc. to save going through it all again.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:00:11 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Yes, you can import and export a whitelist, check NoScript settings.
Well, what I don't know is if there is a whitelist to be downloaded...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
@DavidR: usually there are some well known trusted source like Microsoft.com, avast.com, adobe.com that everyone would trust them, so it's not individual... there are a few of them by default in NoScript, I want more!

@Tech: I'm looking a list like what Ad-Blocker Plus has... ok! I would share it here if I found it ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Me I really wouldn't like to import a whitelist into something like noscript, you never know what you might be allowing without checking the full list. There are very few sites that I trust, there are more that I have allowed to run scripts because for the site to function they effectively have to be allowed either temporarily or permanently, but trust is something that has to be won and not just given because of some whitelist .

Since adblock plus works opposite to noscript it is easier to build a blacklist as there are many sources for that in one form or another, but a whitelist is considerably harder because you are allowing it to run scripts, not just block ads.

So a worst case scenario you don't see some legitimate content, that is taken as an ad, to allowing a site to run malicious code. So for the well known they too would be personal preference again and wouldn't take long to manually allow them, so if it's a small number it is hardly worthwhile bothering, I just know I wouldn't trust a whitelist that has the capability to run malicious script if any entries are wrong.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi Omid Farhang,

The maker of this cop inside the browser, Giorgio Maone, advises to keep the whitelist as minimal as could be, and I have to agree with him, so just the site of Mozilla and add-ons, and what is whitelisted there by default should do.
You could go into the extension and make the settings preferred by you, like whether you want to block Webbugs, what you would like to block further, but from the start use default settings.
Being on the Mozilla Forum thread for this extension I am quite well informed, and if you want to go there and subscribe you can ask Mr Maone himself ( http://forums.mozillazine.org/  & http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1070305 )
My working of NoScript is that I have NoScript installed by default and on a page where I have been before or I know to be free of malware I allow the site partially with NoScript. As far as I know it is in-browser protection that has not failed yet, if you have grown to know how to handle it you will no longer surf without it's feeling of security, and then again you always have the avast shields running in the browser as an extra security...

polonus
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:22:34 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
@DavidR and @polonus: Thanks for answering :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.