Author Topic: Uninstall problem HELP!  (Read 5322 times)

Aprildawn

Uninstall problem HELP!
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
OK, I have read all of the uninstall answers here with a search and I seem to have a bit of a problem with getting it to go away. I first tried to just drag it to trash.  It is still there.  But it of course is now gray in the preference, so I can no longer access preferences. Now when I try to open the application I only get the bouncing icon in the dock for a few minutes, then it stops, and nothing.  Also, I now have "Zero KB available" for applications, documents, favorites, well, the entire HD.  Before installing Avast I had in the GB's available.  Now there is ZERO! I need this thing off and I need to find out what it did with my available space. I can not even use my puter as it is now so incredibly slow, I am using a friends PC to send this message.  PLEASE HELP!  Thank you, Aprildawn

Aprildawn

Re: Uninstall problem HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »
I now seem to have an additional problem.  I decided to shut down my Mac, and now I can not even get it to boot up.  It just sits there and spins and spins and spins.  I have never ever had problems with my Mac until I downloaded Avast a few days ago.  I have an older iMac loaded with Leopard.  I really need help now.  Thanx, Aprildawn

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Uninstall problem HELP!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
I now seem to have an additional problem.  I decided to shut down my Mac, and now I can not even get it to boot up.  It just sits there and spins and spins and spins.  I have never ever had problems with my Mac until I downloaded Avast a few days ago.  I have an older iMac loaded with Leopard.  I really need help now.  Thanx, Aprildawn

Hallo,
honestly, the biggest problem for the Apple machines is ... usually MacOS X itself. Not avast, it's  a well behaved userspace application, and I repeat, _application_. Application can't cause boot lock-up, it's always just an application, which has (except the socket to the kernel extension) nothing special to do with the system/xnu.

Your hdd space might be probably exhausted, and thus blocking the system, who knows - especially Leopard is so HDDspace/memory hungry, that one gigabyte might mean "browse few pages, and end with 0 bytes free". Try to boot in single-user mode, and get rid of files in trashcan, swap files in /private/var/vm, etc.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)