Author Topic: "Unscheduling" Boot-Time Scanning - Help! It Won't Stop Doing It!  (Read 6741 times)

hotlegz57

Help! I cannot stop Avast from doing a boot-time scan every time I turn on my computer.  I have Avast 4.8 Home (free) Edition on my Windows XP (w/service pack(s) computer.  I love Avast, but this is driving me crazy.

The Help section says (and I've tried this tons of times) to click on the "Schedule Boot-Time Scan" and it is scheduled.  You are also supposed to do the same thing to "unschedule" it.  When you do, it says something like, "Boot-time scan already scheduled.  Do you wish to unschedule it?"   I click "Yes".  It still does it.  There is also supposed to be a "Scheduling" page in the program (per the Help section) where you can do more specific things in this area.  Thought I would try to "undo" this there.  My program doesn't seem to have a "Scheduling" page period.

Love Avast, but I'm really frustrated!  ???

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: "Unscheduling" Boot-Time Scanning - Help! It Won't Stop Doing It!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »
Take a look at this post and see if it helps you...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=43006.0
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »
In short, disable Spybot if you are using it - that's what is causing the problems.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
Well, yes, but more specifically the "Tea-Timer" module that is commonly installed with Spybot.

You can remove the tea-timer module, or allow registry settings with tea-timer, then re-enable it once you have the boot time scan unscheduled.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

hotlegz57

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:15:36 PM »
Thanks, Scythe, I will try it.  (How did you know I've got Spybot S & D?!) Anyway, I'll try temporarily disabling Tea Timer to unschedule the boot-time scan.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 05:18:25 PM »
Lol, well, I didn't know.  It was more of an assumption.  We use Spybot around here a lot, and Teatimer is meant to prevent registry changes, so it seemed logical.

I hope it helps, and welcome to the forums!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »
After the boot-time scan avast would try to clean-up in the registry, the entry to run the boot-time scan on the next boot. If S&D blocks that change guess what it will run again.

What gets me is security software that just blocks and doesn't report/notify the user, they are just left wondering what is going on and blaming the wrong application.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
Precisely why I don't use the Tea-timer application anymore.

It's great in theory, but I feel it needs work in that aspect.

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »

Do not blame Spybot/Teatimer for this. With default settings, it will notify the user when settings are attempted to be changed. Had the default settings still been in place, there would have not been a problem. Someone has changed the default settings without realizing the consequences ... just as they do in the avast settings.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »
Yes, I guess you're right.  My bad.

I still don't like tea timer for regular end-users though.  It usually causes more harm than good in my experience.  That's just me though.  If anyone finds it particularly useful, then by all means, forget what I have said about it!

udidwht

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 10:55:10 PM »
Yes, I guess you're right.  My bad.

I still don't like tea timer for regular end-users though.  It usually causes more harm than good in my experience.  That's just me though.  If anyone finds it particularly useful, then by all means, forget what I have said about it!

Ad-Aware free/Spybot S&D are old news. It's scanning/detection abilities aren't on par with programs such as Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 03:27:59 AM »
Ad-Aware free/Spybot S&D are old news. It's scanning/detection abilities aren't on par with programs such as Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware.
Feel exactly the same.
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 02:34:52 AM »

Feel exactly the same.

Really has little to do with the problem in this post. But, you are both entitled to your opinions.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:37:13 PM »
Well, I agree that Spybot isn't what it used to be, but I like the immunization feature still.  It keeps the hosts file updated pretty nicely.  At least it's better than downloading one on the internet and keeping it up to date all the time, spybot does it for ya.