Author Topic: Want to reinstall AVAST, but  (Read 2955 times)

LRM216

Want to reinstall AVAST, but
« on: March 31, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »
If I install Avast, (I have windows XP) do I need to disable Windows Defender, or should I just leave it on.  Also, if I disable Windows Defender do I then need to add another firewall?

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Want to reinstall AVAST, but
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
HI LRM216,

No need to disable windows defender. Avast runs well with it. However if you do decide to disable it  I strongly recommend you get another firewall. Generally XP has a wide range of firewalls to choose from (free firewalls that is). You can search the forum for some discussions on firewalls. As far as I have noticed there is no one favorite firewall among the users of the forum.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »
Leave it on. It protects hosts file that is uncovered by avast. They do not conflict.
WD is not a firewall, but an antispyware. You need, at least, Windows Firewall on.
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:51:08 AM »
HI LRM216,

No need to disable windows defender. Avast runs well with it. However if you do decide to disable it  I strongly recommend you get another firewall. Generally XP has a wide range of firewalls to choose from (free firewalls that is). You can search the forum for some discussions on firewalls. As far as I have noticed there is no one favorite firewall among the users of the forum.

So sorry... i must have been out of my mind.Thank you Tech for the correction (mistook Wdfender for the Firewall)
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:57:01 AM »
So sorry... i must have been out of my mind.
Never mind... we all mess things from time to time ;)
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:16:52 PM »
Well at least my name was indicative of my state (confused) ;D
Still , I'll be more careful.
Cheers
Computer Systems: