Author Topic: Avast Hang Up On Start Up  (Read 10023 times)

Rickochet

Avast Hang Up On Start Up
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
I have been using Avast for several months on my computer and my wife's.  I am running XP Home edition.  Several days ago when my wife started her computer the Avast blue ball shows up in the task bar with a small circle with a red slash through it.  It hangs up until the computer is turned off and rebooted.  Some times it does not do it the second boot up and some times it takes several tries.  It did it for the first time on my computer this morning.  Second boot up it did not do it.

Could someone please tell me what is happening?

Rick

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Avast Hang Up On Start Up
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »
-= There might be left traces of your previous antivirus.. You may download a removal tool to completely remove thoe traces..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This is one of the common reasons for the Red circle and bar.
Also see, AAVM subsystem detected and RPC error. http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-other-questions.html#idt_1539
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rickochet

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This is one of the common reasons for the Red circle and bar.
Also see, AAVM subsystem detected and RPC error. http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-other-questions.html#idt_1539

I had Norton Internet Security on both and just did the "program removal" but did not use the Norton Removal Tool.  Both computers have been running fine for 5 months.  This problem just popped up a few days ago.  Today my wife's computer did not hang up and mine did for the first time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:28:34 PM by Rickochet »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »
did not use the Norton Removal Tool. 
1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:43:26 PM »
I would suggest also using their removal tool as Norton can be harder to get rid of that some viruses ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bill8

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
I have been using Avast for several months on my computer and my wife's.  I am running XP Home edition.  Several days ago when my wife started her computer the Avast blue ball shows up in the task bar with a small circle with a red slash through it.  It hangs up until the computer is turned off and rebooted.  Some times it does not do it the second boot up and some times it takes several tries. 

I thought it was perhaps just me experiencing problems for past 2 weeks, but I've been experiencing some issues with both my XP Pro computers hanging/freezing too during startup too.  The issue does not happen every time I boot the computer.  Both Dells have had Avast installed from new about 9 months ago. No previous antivirus sw installed.

The windows desktop would appear and icons would start appearing in the system tray as normal.  But only the Avast icon (no red cross) and the Intel graphics icon would appear.  No other icons I normally see would appear.  I could not access Task manager nor the Start menu.  The mouse pointer could be moved, but eventually it too would freeze.    Lately, the laptop started to hang far more frequently on startup so decided I had to fix it once and for all.

Turning the laptop off and back on usually resolved the problem.  The Event log was not very helpful.

This has happened many times on the laptop.

Then one morning, my Dell desktop experienced the same symptoms too and this was just too much of a coincidence. (It has only happened once and has not yet been repeated)

I've gone thru my laptop with a fine 'tooth comb' as they say to see what new applications I may have recently installed that may have contributed to this new problem.  A few weeks earlier, I had upgraded both computers to IE8, installed OfficeXP, Windows Live Messenger and Mail 2009 and netframework up to v3.5.  Used Hijackthis to assess what was running on my laptop etc.

Scanned it for viruses and malware.  Performed many restores from older image backups I have made, to try and isolate the problem.    I ruled out the above mentioned software I installed recently and eventually I narrowed the problem down to Avast being the only probable cause.

To cut a further long story short, I reluctantly removed Avast Home Free edition from the laptop and installed AntiVir to see if it would resolve the problem.   So far, I have not had a repeat of the windows freeze problem in over a week.

I later discovered Avast has Troubleshooting menu features which I could have used to investigate the problem.

I am still running Avast on the Dell desktop but have decided to tick the check box for 'Delay loading of Avast! services after other system services'.

I've used Avast on previous computers since 2004 but this is the first time I've encountered a problem which I believe is down to Avast v4.8.1335

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:39:58 PM by bill8 »

Massa

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
Rick
I have the exact same problem as the op. But I built a new computer, installed Win XP SP2, then avast, then SP3. Avast hangs the computer randomly (maybe four times a row, maybe every other time etc) on XP startup so that the desktop shows and the blue A icon ball has a red circle with line though it. I can move the mouse but cant open task manager or do anything. If I hit the mouse buttons a few times the mouse freezes too and I have to hit the hard reset button. If I uninstall avast, the computer boots fine every time and I can play any game for as long as I want, surf the web or watch videos. During successful startups when avast doesnt hang, everything works great for as long as I do not reboot.

I've used Avast successfully for years and have gotten all my friends and associates to use it too with no problems. I've only seen this same sort of startup hang problem with some old Avast version that was then fixed soon after by a patch. I've reluctantly installed AVG until I can find the solution to this.

I tried delaying the startup, disabling self-protection and some of the other options available, they do not help.

Here's the setup:

WinXP SP3 ENG PRO 32bit
Latest avast home free with all updates.
IE8 and ALL Windows Update updates.
AMD Phenom II X3 710
Asrock M3A780GXH motherboard
WD Blue 640GB SATAII
4GB of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM (512MB for IGP)

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:25:32 PM by Massa »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:28:50 AM »
Rick
I have the exact same problem as the op. But I built a new computer, installed Win XP SP2, then avast, then SP3. Avast hangs the computer randomly (maybe four times a row, maybe every other time etc) on XP startup so that the desktop shows and the blue A icon ball has a red circle with line though it. I can move the mouse but cant open task manager or do anything. If I hit the mouse buttons a few times the mouse freezes too and I have to hit the hard reset button. If I uninstall avast, the computer boots fine every time and I can play any game for as long as I want, surf the web or watch videos. During successful startups when avast doesnt hang, everything works great for as long as I do not reboot.

I've used Avast successfully for years and have gotten all my friends and associates to use it too with no problems. I've only seen this same sort of startup hang problem with some old Avast version that was then fixed soon after by a patch. I've reluctantly installed AVG until I can find the solution to this.

I tried delaying the startup, disabling self-protection and some of the other options available, they do not help.

Here's the setup:

WinXP SP3 ENG PRO 32bit
Latest avast home free with all updates.
IE8 and ALL Windows Update updates.
AMD Phenom II X3 710
Asrock M3A780GXH motherboard
WD Blue 640GB SATAII
4GB of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM (512MB for IGP)

Thanks for your help!

What is your previous antivirus?
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Massa

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 01:00:29 AM »
Sorry, I meant it was a clean install to a new computer and hdd, avast was the first antivirus to go in. Maybe it was a mistake to install avast before SP3. I tried uninstalling avast and reinstalling but that didnt help, didnt try manual uninstall tool yet.

Thanks

Mr K

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:59:49 PM »
Was there any solution to this ?
I'm getting exactly the same thing. Only happens occasionally, maybe once or twice a week, which makes it all the more strange.  I've eliminated all other start up programmes(quite relieved to find this thread as I thought i might have a hardware problem). Powering off the PC solves it but its becoming irritating. Reluctant to uninstall Avast as its such a good programme but may have to. I'm running XP SP3.  thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »
Was there any solution to this ?
Which was your previous antivirus? How did you remove it?
Any other security program that could interfere?

Mr K

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
I have had other secuirty software on there, but that was uninstalled (properly) years ago.  I've been using Avast since then without problem so don't think thats the issue. I'm  also using Comodo firewall but I tried unistalling that and using Windows firewall but still got the same problem.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that it happened around the time of upgrade to IE8, Think this was around the time it started happening to me  (I do have Internet Exporer in my Start Up folder). Coincidence ?

Currently trying the 'delay loading of avast services after other system service' to see if that helps, will let you know.

sparge

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »
I don't know if this might be relevant or not?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=50459.0

Have any of you guys with Avast! start-up problems read this thread and tried the experiment it mentions? I have still had not a squeak out of Alwil on this subject, or indeed anyone at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 12:24:06 PM »
I do have Internet Exporer in my Start Up folder). Coincidence ?
Hmmm... Which is your default browser?

But I think this is unrelated to startups lag times.