Author Topic: Update fails with message not enough memory to complete  (Read 27550 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Update fails with message not enough memory to complete
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
As I was trying to explain here, nothing has changed in the recent update. It's just that the virus database grows continuously (as the new virus detections are added), and it seems that some "limit" has been reached just recently.

If anybody can supply the File Monitor log, I think this can be fixed.

Rogier

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »
OK Igor what file log do you want? Is it the setup.log, error.log or warning.log? Let me know and I can send it in attachement via mail because they are to large to be posted.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
From the link he gave in his post the 'here' text being the link, I have copied it below.

Hmm, it seems that the updating process is "reaching some limit" on the target machines; we've already seen something like that before - when the VPS file got over 16MB, it wasn't possible to write the file to disk in one big write, because it failed on some Win9x machines. No idea why... perhaps an issue with a particular disk [controller] drivers.

If anybody (having the problem) is familiar with File Monitor (from Sysinternals) - could you please try to monitor the updating process (i.e. invoke an update and wait for it to fail) with it? I'd say you can filter only avast.setup process... or use just "avast" mask. If you upload the log to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming then, we can look for any other problematic disk access, and possible split it into smaller ones.
Thanks!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rogier

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »
I downloaded File Monitor and ran it against an avast update with avast mask, but found no way to save the monitor file (Save and save as has no effect) Any suggestion how to get the > 70000 lines in a file ? The clipboard does not accept that size. Appears that the latest version 7.04 does not allow to create a log file. Could someone provide me with a copy of Filemon.exe that saves the log ? Then send it to my Email.
Thanks Rogier

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
Are you filtering against avast.setup, so as to exclude other files ?

If not that could reduce the returned lines.

So if you set that filter and apply it in filemon before you do a manual update. Well that was a surprise, I did that and it still returned 103374 lines on completion of the update.

However, on completion of the avast update I was able to select File Save As and that was a little over 7MB. So I don't know why yours isn't allowing save as, I'm using Filemon v7.04 also..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rogier

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 11:59:13 PM »
I put a post in the Sysinternals forum about the save and save as problem, but i managed to get the trace for the last seconds where the problem with Avast update occurs in a filemonupdate.doc file and will upload  that to the URL Igor suggested and hope he will be able to get something out of it (at least i will try).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 01:24:43 AM »
If you do manage to save the log, I have just found that using 7zip I have compressed the 7.019MB file down to 129KB, that is useful for those of us on dial-up if you had to upload it.

Starlit

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »
I am also a WIN98 SE user (512 RAM and 55 G of free space) and installed Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1335 a couple days ago. Everything seemed to install just fine and I never ran into any problems except that I couldn't get it to scan my Outlook Express mail. The only two mail providers included were Outlook/Exchange and Internet Mail.

In the process of trying to resolve the issue, I uninstalled, downloaded again, and just finished reinstalling. NOW I have the same problem as Rogier. When I go to update, it jussssst about finishes before I get the evil red Avast alert that I don't have enough space to complete the task. I'm more than a little confused, as everything downloaded and has updated just fine until I uninstalled and reinstalled tonight.

UPDATE!!

I uninstalled the download of the program I did from CNET and tried the one directly from the AVAST website. Still no luck. Then I remembered I had made my 'working' download a few days ago from filehippo. TADA!  I don't know why, but the AVAST program (still most recent) from filehippo works with my WIN98 SE.  Like I said, I don't know why... and don't question it... just know it works.  Now I'm onto figuring out how to make it scan my Outlook Express mail.  GOOD LUCK, Rogier!  :)

I'm anxiously waiting for a suggestion to successfully resolve this problem as well as to get Avast to scan my Outlook Express mail.

Thanks in advance and keeping my fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:18:56 AM by Starlit »

Rogier

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 01:21:40 PM »
Believe it or not but the first download and install of 4.8 was the Dutch version from my favorite download site "Gratissoftwaresite.nl" which downloaded a setupdut.exe from download609.avast.com. This gave exactly the same problem of not being able to use Outlook Express (Server connection failure) I did not even check if it installed the correct VPS files since it was not usable. So I uninstalled and got another download from www.avast.com, namely avast_home_setup_exe neutral version 4.8.0.0. It installs Avast 4.8.1335 in any language of your choice and see Outlook Express works, but then no VPS file update !!

I noticed that the Filehippo site has older versions to download, so my question would be if they implement also an older version of the VPS updater ? (question for the support team)
To Igor i would like to mention that the only way to upload the Filemon log file (actually a doc file) was to issue a ticket request to the support team. If you have other suggestion pleas let me know

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »
And this particular update (you sent the FileMonitor log for) failed, with the "Not enough memory..." error?

Rogier

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
Yes, and by the way the ticket id is OOT-705943

I also copied the file to ftp.avast.com/incoming but am not sure this succeeded

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 02:18:18 PM »
Hmm, I don't see any disk problem there... really just the memory allocation failure. However, I have no idea how much memory is required for the particular operation... will have to wait until tomorrow and ask the developer of this piece of code.

releone

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
I am a new user and just downloaded and installed Avast 4.8 Home Edition on a Windows Millennium Edition system with Amd Athlon 1000  processor and 256 MB Ram and 80 GB hard disk with 90% free space. At installation and at manual and automatic AVS update (no other applications running) I always get a message in the red box that says the transaction could not complete because not enough memory. Can somebody help me with this, else I will have to uninstall, and try to find another virus scanner.
Claudio Cipollini

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »
I am a new user and just downloaded and installed Avast 4.8 Home Edition on a Windows Millennium Edition system with Amd Athlon 1000  processor and 256 MB Ram and 80 GB hard disk with 90% free space. At installation and at manual and automatic AVS update (no other applications running) I always get a message in the red box that says the transaction could not complete because not enough memory. Can somebody help me with this, else I will have to uninstall, and try to find another virus scanner.
Claudio Cipollini
Seems that avast is slowly being incompatible with few resources (RAM) computers.

Igor says elsewhere...

It seems that the updating process is "reaching some limit" on the target machines; we've already seen something like that before - when the VPS file got over 16MB, it wasn't possible to write the file to disk in one big write, because it failed on some Win9x machines. No idea why... perhaps an issue with a particular disk [controller] drivers.

If anybody (having the problem) is familiar with File Monitor (from Sysinternals) - could you please try to monitor the updating process (i.e. invoke an update and wait for it to fail) with it? I'd say you can filter only avast.setup process... or use just "avast" mask. If you upload the log to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming then, they can look for any other problematic disk access, and possible split it into smaller ones.
The best things in life are free.

releone

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 11:38:20 AM »

[/quote]Seems that avast is slowly being incompatible with few resources (RAM) computers.[/quote]

Ciao, scusami so benissimo che anche Igor ha lo stesso problema tant'è che ho copincollato il suo thread perche' io l'inglese non lo parlo, ovviamente ho messo i miei dati al posto dei suoi ;D
Se per caso tu parlassi italiano, ti sarei grato se potessi di nuovo inviarmi i tuoi consigli nella mia lingua.
Grazie e saluti :)
releone