Author Topic: Update fails with message not enough memory to complete  (Read 27559 times)

Rogier

Re: Update fails with message not enough memory to complete
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 07:15:42 PM »
This is what the support team wrote:

"The "Not enough storage" message means that you don't have enough memory (RAM) to process incremental updates that are small size to download but require some memory to process. As the virus database size grows, also memory requirements are higher. For now, at least 80MB free memory is required.
Besides installing more memory in your computer, I'd recommend to close all running programs and try to start update manually again.
If it doesn't help, download and run the latest full virus database updater (now around 25MB):
http://www.avast.com/eng/updates.html "

I downloaded from the indicated site, ran the downloaded EXE file and now everything finished and my virus db got updated to the latest version and apparently everything runs fine..

Conclusion: disable automatic update, and do a download and install of the new virus db on a regular basis (daily or weekly)

Hope this helps

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »
See also here, please.

releone

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »
This is what the support team wrote:

"The "Not enough storage" message means that you don't have enough memory (RAM) to process incremental updates that are small size to download but require some memory to process. As the virus database size grows, also memory requirements are higher. For now, at least 80MB free memory is required.
Besides installing more memory in your computer, I'd recommend to close all running programs and try to start update manually again.
If it doesn't help, download and run the latest full virus database updater (now around 25MB):
http://www.avast.com/eng/updates.html "

I downloaded from the indicated site, ran the downloaded EXE file and now everything finished and my virus db got updated to the latest version and apparently everything runs fine..

Conclusion: disable automatic update, and do a download and install of the new virus db on a regular basis (daily or weekly)

Hope this helps

Thank you for yor reply rogier! :D

releone

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Hello Rogier, thanks of new for the aid and excuse a question, every time that we make the update virus from the URL that you indicated recommences all from beginning or only update the files lacking?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:58:41 PM by releone »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 10:02:20 PM »
The above link is for the complete virus signature database, which is why it is 24.13MB and not just signatures you haven't got.

If you haven't read this topic on the memory problem, I suggest you check it out, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45169.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

releone

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 01:45:13 PM »
I am a new user and just downloaded and installed Avast 4.8 Home Edition on a Windows Millennium Edition system with Amd Athlon 1000  processor and 256 MB Ram and 80 GB hard disk with 90% free space. At installation and at manual and automatic AVS update (no other applications running) I always get a message in the red box that says the transaction could not complete because not enough memory. Can somebody help me with this, else I will have to uninstall, and try to find another virus scanner.
Claudio Cipollini
Seems that avast is slowly being incompatible with few resources (RAM) computers.

Igor says elsewhere...

It seems that the updating process is "reaching some limit" on the target machines; we've already seen something like that before - when the VPS file got over 16MB, it wasn't possible to write the file to disk in one big write, because it failed on some Win9x machines. No idea why... perhaps an issue with a particular disk [controller] drivers.

If anybody (having the problem) is familiar with File Monitor (from Sysinternals) - could you please try to monitor the updating process (i.e. invoke an update and wait for it to fail) with it? I'd say you can filter only avast.setup process... or use just "avast" mask. If you upload the log to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming then, they can look for any other problematic disk access, and possible split it into smaller ones.

if I go to the URL ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming I cannot open no rows

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
The preferred way for submitting samples is e-mail (or sending them from Chest). Although, you can use Alwil FTP server as a second way to transfer only big files. Upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (please, note that you won't have READ access to the ftp server, just write - so you won't even be able to see what you've just uploaded).
Note that uploading the files to FTP, without additional contact, is not a good idea. The FTP is not monitored - so unless we are expecting some files, we won't really see them. Besides, finding a folder of randomly-names files on FTP doesn't really say much about them. If we detect it - is it a false positive or something that we added recently? If not - is it a false positive that was already fixed? Is it a virus sample? Is it just some random file some warez guys tried to upload to the FTP? So, please, don't upload the files to the ftp unless asked to do so (or unless it's arranged in advance).
The best things in life are free.

releone

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
The preferred way for submitting samples is e-mail (or sending them from Chest). Although, you can use Alwil FTP server as a second way to transfer only big files. Upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (please, note that you won't have READ access to the ftp server, just write - so you won't even be able to see what you've just uploaded).
Note that uploading the files to FTP, without additional contact, is not a good idea. The FTP is not monitored - so unless we are expecting some files, we won't really see them. Besides, finding a folder of randomly-names files on FTP doesn't really say much about them. If we detect it - is it a false positive or something that we added recently? If not - is it a false positive that was already fixed? Is it a virus sample? Is it just some random file some warez guys tried to upload to the FTP? So, please, don't upload the files to the ftp unless asked to do so (or unless it's arranged in advance).

If I go to the URL that you have indicated to me, it makes me to unload update of the 11/05/09. Yesterday to the same URL I have unloaded update of the 10/05/09, but going to install it, the installation jams with the following message: - the database already it is dawned but if I go to control to the voice - about avast! - I still find like last modernization the date of the 19/03/09. why? Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »
Why don't you try an installation from the scratch?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45169.msg378451#msg378451
The best things in life are free.