Author Topic: Avast just... stops after Memory test  (Read 4520 times)

whiskeytits

Avast just... stops after Memory test
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »
I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic (ugh).

When I try to start avast!, I'm getting the splash screen and the memory test, but (before it completes, I think) it just -stops-. Also, it's not showing up in the system tray as running in the background.

I feel like the computer's running a bit wonky, would a virus of some sort be able to disable avast!? ???

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Avast just... stops after Memory test
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »
Hi whiskeytits,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic (ugh).

So am I... no need for ugh. It's a good OS.

When I try to start avast!, I'm getting the splash screen and the memory test, but (before it completes, I think) it just -stops-. Also, it's not showing up in the system tray as running in the background.
Now Does it stop and disappear or is the splash screen still on you screen after it stops?

Also if possible please mention if there are other security programs on your computer that might cause issues. What was you previous anti-virus?

I feel like the computer's running a bit wonky, would a virus of some sort be able to disable avast!? ???

Generally I have not seen this but you came to the right place to find answers/solutions.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

whiskeytits

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »
I just don't like Vista, I'm a Linux girl myself. This is my Auntie's computer.

As for the previous antivirus program, my boyfriend had installed Spybot S&D for a short time. Before that, Auntie was using ClamWin, which I'd never heard of.

There is definitely something wrong with this computer. Google Chrome has frozen up ("not responding") like three times in the last half hour.

shark123

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »
happens to me after memory test, start it up again and after it starts and does the mem test wait for 1 min and it shud show up!

whiskeytits

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »
Yeah, I've tried starting it three times.
It. Stops. During. The. Memory. Test.

shark123

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:37:58 PM »
probably the prob is vista. i cant say much here. only thing i would say is try re-downlaoding and installation.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »
I just don't like Vista, I'm a Linux girl myself. This is my Auntie's computer.
I Admit that Linux looks a bit nicer but I'm not yet ready to make the plunge.

Well that's a problem. So let's see about fixing. Given that you have reason to suspect the computer might have viruses, you can try following the steps in this list to attempt to clean it.

I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

This is a sort of tried and tested way of cleaning the computer.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.

Here just try DrWeb directly given that Avast doesn't start. Next follow the remainder of the steps.
Report back with findings.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

norel

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 07:07:07 PM »
I also have Vista Home Basic and mine did the same thing. I disabled the memory test and it worked fine. After running avast! on  my system for a few days I turned the memory test back on and everything worked fine. I can't explain it, that's just what I did. From what I've read here, the memory test feature is primarily meant to run before you run a manual scan. I leave mine off most of the time. Right click the blue avast! icon in the system tray, click program settings, select Common. The first one in the list enables/disables the memory test.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »

Try this:
- Edit the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini using Notepad [Common] section, add the following line to the section SunbeltKPFHack=2, save the file, you will be prompted by the avast! Self-defence module if this is OK answer Yes. Whilst this is primarily for Sunbelt or Kerio Personal Firewalls it may well work even if you don't use either of these firewalls.

Also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37609.msg315764#msg315764
Also see, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40840.msg342656#msg342656 which mentions a similar issue relating to McAfee Site Advisor and remnants of menus, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security