Author Topic: Can't get License Key  (Read 7119 times)

10snut

Can't get License Key
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:42:50 AM »
Hi

i have a problem with free home eddition of avast 4.8. I´m not sure if I´m allowed to post questions here regarding this free product but I dont know where else to ask.
I downloaded avast free eddition and installed it, I never received a license key or if I did I can't find it.  How do I get a license key - I tried to uninstall avast and was going to reinstall it but when I uninstalled Avast it cause some text problems on my computer - could not read anything I sent on yahoo or received and could not see sign in and password options on pages like aol mail or couldn't even see my saved pages when I would click on tabs on Internet explorer.  It was just a blank page when I clicked on tab.  How can I get a license key please.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't get License Key
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:51:59 AM »
It comes with a demo license which lasts 60 days, all you need do is register and the registration key gets emailed to you and you enter it. This gives you 14 months use for signature updates, etc. at which point you re-register and get an new key sent.

Complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key.

Also see Insert Registration Key - Video.

What is your OS ?
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

10snut

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:14:55 AM »
OK I re-registered and got the key and put it in - now when I try to open avast it says that "program cannot load inews (c:\programfiles\alwilsoftware\avast4\data\inews.htm)

and when I tried to uninstall avast it uninstalled but then I could not see typing like on yahoo in sending or receiving messages - could not see the member sign in screen for aol and if I clicked on new tab for IE it just showed a blank screen and did not show my webpages that I normally go to so it did something to all that when I uninstalled Avast.

I am running Vista Home premium

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:44:54 AM »
I asked questions and that helps me to help you need to answer the one about previous AVs.

I believe your installation is not 100% so I would suggest a clean reinstall.
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

I really don't see how the problem you have is related to avast especially after uninstalling it.

I don't use AOHell, but I do know aol email program uses a proprietary email protocol and as such wouldn't be scanned by avast's Internet Mail provider.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

10snut

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:26:30 AM »
Sorry - didn't see that question - when I bought the computer it had a trial version of mcaffee on it and I uninstalled it by using remove programs on control panel.

When I uninstalled avast - that is when I had the probs that I described above.  Could not view many things including text.  So I went into system restore and restored computer to the day before (yesterday) and it put avast back on my computer and then I could view all the text on yahoo and sign in screens etc.  So it has something to do with unistalling avast for that to have happened.  I will try to do what you said to do in your previous message.  Thank you

10snut

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:44:20 AM »
OK - I uninstalled avast using the avast uninstall file and went to safe mode.  Then rebooted and installed the new avast.  Once again - when I uninstalled the original avast my text on yahoo, and sign in screens and adding tab with IE did not work so I had to restore to another date.  As long as the old version of avast is on my computer then yahoo and all of that works.  I don't understand why that is happening.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »
This article provides the steps to remove SecurityCenter from your computer.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525
Also for direct download: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
and http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe (2007)

Sometimes, McAfee won't be completely removed if, before, you do not uninstall Avast, including the use of its "Uninstall Application" if necessary (www.avast.com/eng/faq-install-uninstall-avast.html).
The best things in life are free.