Author Topic: Trojan Horse keeps coming back  (Read 28277 times)

mark1123emily

Re: Trojan Horse keeps coming back
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 06:35:29 PM »
I've deleted a tracking cookie from doubleclick. Is that bad? Im kinda new at this thing coz its my first time to encounter such problems. Im really lost! Thank you very much for all your help!
Ive searched the file c:/etc (file path for xp you've given me earlier) I couldn't see what you were pertaining to all I got was:
hosts
hosts.backup
lmhosts
networks
protocol
services
They're all under etc folder. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:42:35 PM by mark1123emily »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 06:38:15 PM »
No problem

spg SCOTT

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
I've deleted a tracking cookie from doubleclick. Is that bad? Im kinda new at this thing coz its my first time to encounter such problems. Im really lost! Thank you very much for all your help!
Ive searched the file c:/etc (file path for xp you've given me earlier) I couldn't see what you were pertaining to all I got was:
hosts
hosts.backup
lmhosts
networks
protocol
services
They're all under etc folder. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

the one you want is 'hosts'

or you could open notepad, click file --> open and paste this path into the filename:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

It will open up and you can check it to see what it contains like Tech says

-Scott-

mark1123emily

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »
Is it good that I only have those things under my etc folder? wow it's now that I realize that there are too much threat!
Thank you! Thank you! for the insights!

mark1123emily

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »
Thank you Scott and tech! I really don't know what to do well I've downloaded spybot s&d from another pc and got it installed here at my eeepc. I was able to install it using a flashdisk I ran a scan and got three alerts from a tracking cookie, it was red so I removed it. When I checked my hosts file (thanks to Scott who taught me how to) spybot entered the host file after I immunized my system. What should I look for that seems suspiscious? I'll try to redownload the spyblaster to see if everything works out. Thank you guys!

-It's still getting cancelled. :( I guess it must be something from the previous infections. I ran everything MBM, SAS, AVG and SPYBOT none can be detected anymore.. Must be something from my registry.. :(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:18:49 PM by mark1123emily »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 07:19:09 PM »
I'll try to redownload the spyblaster to see if everything works out. Thank you guys!

I think you are referring to spwareblaster. In any way dont go to spyblaster.com - it gives you a rogue application
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:18:00 PM by nmb »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »
got three alerts from a tracking cookie
Don't worry, almost innocuous.

What should I look for that seems suspiscious?
Open it in Notepad and post the contents here.
The best things in life are free.

mark1123emily

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »
It's long so I split it in half. Thanks again!

mark1123emily

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
here's part2! Thanks for your time!

mark1123emily

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 07:46:31 PM »
@NMB yeah.. I was trying to download the spywareblaster that was posted earlier. Sorry for the typo..
BTW I just installed spybot a couple of hours ago.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:49:01 PM by mark1123emily »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
I can't analyze such a big hosts file and can't make sure it's clean.
You can try to remove Spybot protection of the hosts file and check if all the entries disappear.
I also suggest you use HostsMan to completely substitute your hosts file and not using Spybot anymore.
HostsMan offers two options, completely substitute and update the hosts file. The first time you run it, choose substitute.

mark1123emily

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 08:18:36 PM »
Thanks alot! I'll just download it to another pc. Is it ok if I just use MBM, SAS, Hostsman and AVG/Avast (I'm currently using AVG coz avast wasnt able to detect some of the trojans that were given to me by that darn oGax.exe)? Remove the Spybot completely or just replace it's host file with Hostsman? And which is better Spyware blaster of spybot 'coz you told me earlier to have my laptop immunized.

thank you so much!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
Is it ok if I just use MBM, SAS, Hostsman and AVG/Avast (I'm currently using AVG coz avast wasnt able to detect some of the trojans that were given to me by that darn oGax.exe)?
Use only one antivirus at a time: or AVG or avast. If you want to receive help here, I suggest avast.

Remove the Spybot completely or just replace it's host file with Hostsman?
Remove the host protection (option) into Spybot and close the program.
If you don't know how to do it, just uninstall Spybot.

And which is better Spyware blaster of spybot 'coz you told me earlier to have my laptop immunized.
SpywareBlaster is better.

mark1123emily

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
Thanks alot! I was using Avast for years now! Because of the initial problem of having two laptops infected at the same time with the same breed of virus I resorted to checking out different softwares/programs to clean it out. I still don't know where the heck did that OGax.exe came from and MBM was the only one that could detect it. I had no problems downloading the MBM and SAS even if I was infected with OGax.exe Trojan agent2.iie, Update.exe, DT.exe but with Avast anti rootkit I wasn't able to download it. After everything is cleaned I now can't download spybot and spyware blaster but I haven't tried simple anti-virus programs yet. I'll try everything tomorrow (given it's 3am here) and keep everyone updated. Thank you so much for all your help!

PS:
I'll be returning Avast soon, once my troubles will be solved so I won't have any problems with auto update.

:)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 11:58:10 PM »
Is it ok if I just use MBM, SAS, Hostsman and AVG/Avast (I'm currently using AVG coz avast wasnt able to detect some of the trojans that were given to me by that darn oGax.exe)?
Use only one antivirus at a time: or AVG or avast. If you want to receive help here, I suggest avast.

I would choose avast and use AVG installer or revo uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/ to uninstall AVG.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.