Author Topic: clicking on avast.com in avast ball does not bring up default browser -why?  (Read 7024 times)

MickeyDM

Clicking on www.avast.com in avast ball --> About Avast section does not bring up my default browser, it always brings up my alternate Firefox browser.  Why is that?

What do I need to do to correct that?

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Clicking on www.avast.com in avast ball --> About Avast section does not bring up my default browser, it always brings up my alternate Firefox browser.  Why is that?

Works for me although I'm not sure where you have the address specifically...Can you post information about you system OS and other applications.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

MickeyDM

XP professional SP3; 2.527 Mhz processor; 1.152 GB RAM; 89 GB HDD, 70 GB free using Avast AV and ZoneAlarm firewall along with Spyblaster and Superantispyware.
SeaMonkey is default browser with Firefox and Opera on board.
SprintPCS mobil broadband.

I've been using Avast for years and this just started happening.

norel

That sounds more like a browser issue than Avast. Have you changed anything recently and then forgot about it? This happens to me more than I would care to admit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Clicking on www.avast.com in avast ball --> About Avast section does not bring up my default browser, it always brings up my alternate Firefox browser.  Why is that?

Well it opens in firefox on mine, which is my default browser, mind you firefox was open at the time, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Was your browser already open when you clicked the link ?

There are occasions where a link does open IE but they have tried to remove those, they are historical where the call went to IE rather than the default browser. This we have been informed won't be the case in avast 5.0 it will be the default browser.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:04:51 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cinchez

@DavidR

Same experience^^
It opened using my default browser^^

-AnimeLover^^

norel

I just received a notice about the Avast Blog and when I clicked it a window opened and there was a link. I clicked it and Internet Explorer opened though I have Firefox set as default. But the link in About Avast opens Firefox...weird.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
I just received a notice about the Avast Blog and when I clicked it a window opened and there was a link. I clicked it and Internet Explorer opened though I have Firefox set as default. But the link in About Avast opens Firefox...weird.

Well it opens in firefox on mine
+1

IE is set as my default and in both cases the links opened IE not FF.
To be noted is the fact that I never attempted to set FF or any other browser as my default. I simply use FF as my daily browser and IE is there just to let MS do its thing. As far as I can gather the browser s so well intengrated you can't delete so why try to stuff it.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I use FF as default browser, so the link opens FF.
On Vista, IE is not used for "Microsoft stuffs". You can set FF as default browser without messing anything in your Vista system.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
I use FF as default browser, so the link opens FF.
On Vista, IE is not used for "Microsoft stuffs". You can set FF as default browser without messing anything in your Vista system.
That's a bit what I'm afraid of. The last time I set FF as my default browser I had issues connecting to the internet with MSN Live Messenger. The only way a round this was to set IE as my default and then go to Tools-> Internet Options->Advance and click on Reset default Settings.

That's why I leave IE as the default.  :-\
Computer Systems:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well today there was another anomaly, I got the iNews pop-up about a new Blog and clicked the read more... (or words to that effect) and the linked opened IE and not my default browser, IE got promptly squashed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Well today there was another anomaly, I got the iNews pop-up about a new Blog and clicked the read more... (or words to that effect) and the linked opened IE and not my default browser, IE got promptly squashed.
iNews opens IE on version 4. This will only be changed on version 5.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
iNews opens IE on version 4. This will only be changed on version 5.

So does that mean that certain programs might "force" you to open links in IE instead of the default one?
Computer Systems:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Yes they can, which is a pain, but most tend not to specify and use the default.

If anything opens a link in IE, it gets killed by me immediately.