Author Topic: Avast 5 Beta on Windows 98  (Read 58183 times)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Avast 5 Beta on Windows 98
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:59:56 AM »
This is getting worrying now, as the beta is near will I be able to test the Avast 5 beta, or will that be pointless due to it possibly be not supported?

:'(
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5 Beta on Windows 98
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:31:26 AM »
You won't be able to beta test version 5.0 as it doesn't support win9x/ME.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:36:04 AM »

Can you tell me how long then Avast 4.8 will be available for users of the 98 system?

Win98 still has many users. Believe it or not, it is very stable. It runs lots of useful software and legacy hardware that function just fine. it's in jeopardy only because of wasteful planned obsolescence driven by MS to drive profits from replacement hardware and software that provide minor updates to existing Win98 functions. People are still writing drivers and porting new functions to it.

See: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130936 and http://www.mdgx.com/spx/ to understand how active the Win98 users' community still is.

And what are users meant to do, have no protection to their systems?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:06:03 AM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:05:39 AM »
Hi nightshade,

Then you must have been here: http://www.geekgirls.com/windows_reinstall_98.htm
Did you also install the non-official service pack for Win98 SE, it is from a Turkish coder and it gives you for instance usb support etc.
If avast is no longer supporting Win 98 you should go for an alternative option like ClamWin resident, eventually with DrWebCureIt scanning every so many days or using a combination of SafeHex and online scanning through various online scanners. Your system is obsolete, and a computer isn't a museum, how much we like to cling to the past, for some it is not the future. Use your OS with normal user rights, have a good back-up regime, mention that as less and less users have Win 98 it can become more secure by its exclusiveness. Good thing some browsers can still be used, but IE6 is also vulnerable and should not be used as a rule (Browzar IE shell browser is a good option on Win 98). Like to hear how you like to plan to secure an obsolete OS?

polonus
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:08:20 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:25:19 AM »
I thank you for your reply.

But I do find it to be the very same as has been said previously.

We all know it's obsolete, but it's only obsolete due to Microsoft's greed as per my message previous.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:29:59 AM »

Can you tell me how long then Avast 4.8 will be available for users of the 98 system?
<snip>

We are covering the same ground again, it has already been stated for win9x/ME support the end of this year for certain and anything after that is a bonus. That will of course be on the 4.8 version/model of avast! it has been suggested that support may extend beyond that for 4.8, but nothing set in stone.

Regardless of how many versions of win98 are out their it is still a drop in the ocean for other OS versions, with version 5.0 it is the direction avast wants to go with new developments and that simply can't happen with older OSes. That means for a time there will be effectively two avast 4 windows versions being supported and this can't go on indefinitely and that is a fact.

All of which has been done to death in many topics, which you have participated in.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 02:43:36 AM »
DavidR,

I am sorry if I have been a nuisance, I thought that is what this forum was for, looks like I have been proved wrong.

And I certainly don't appreciate you trying to make a fool out of me either, I thought you may have learned from that on a previous occasion, obviously not.

All you needed to have said when I asked initially was that Avast 5 won't be supported, but 4.8 will continue for the coming months, and no date has been set for 2010, that's all that was needed.

I see no harm asking about this again as things can change and decisions altered, it's no big job to be polite either.

By the way I am confused when you say there will be 2 Avast 4's running, why would this be? surely Avast 5 and Avast 4.8, or have I missed something?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:46:26 AM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Mike Buxton

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:09:18 AM »
Hi,

I'll respond to your PM with my detailed thoughts - hopefully within the next couple of weeks or so.

In the meantime - can you tell us about your machine's age including info about any replacement motherboard and/or hard drive(s) and also size of hard drive(s) details of RAM and Speed in MHz?

Can you tell us if you have an external drive and/or any flash stick(s) and any strategies you have for backups and/or clones and what other security software (including firewall etc.) that you use?

Finally, since we don't know your identity, is that you cannot afford to update to a newer machine (with a later version of Windows) or is that, for whatever reason, you just like Win98?

My regards

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 03:18:55 AM »
Hi Mike,

It's not to do with not being able to afford a new machine, it's the hassle of starting up again learning and also finding that stuff may not work, plus things like printers and scanners etc. And also all the stories one reads about Vista being rubbish, all this puts me off, so that's the reason.

I will PM you those details you asked.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:20:50 AM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:52 AM »
I am sorry if I have been a nuisance, I thought that is what this forum was for, looks like I have been proved wrong.

And I certainly don't appreciate you trying to make a fool out of me either, I thought you may have learned from that on a previous occasion, obviously not.
<snip>.

It has nothing of trying to make a fool of anyone, but this ground has been covered many times before in topics that you participated in. All I have learned is that you repeatedly post the same questions and that basically I waste my time when responding.

I see no harm asking about this again as things can change and decisions altered, it's no big job to be polite either.

The answers haven't changed to the same questions.

I don't know where I was impolite, just stating facts ???

By the way I am confused when you say there will be 2 Avast 4's running, why would this be? surely Avast 5 and Avast 4.8, or have I missed something?

Currently if you look at the forum title you posted in "avast! 4.x Home/Pro" that is what is meant by two "avast 4 windows" versions being supported  (4.8 and 5.0). So two versions of avast would be being actively supported for windows and not one as it currently is.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:47 AM »
You are the rudest helper I have ever come across, you are even worse than rdsok over at AVG, and that's saying something.

I'd prefer you to ignore me than to type the way you do to me on here.

Utter disgrace.

Wonder how you will cope with all the questions you receive for 5.

Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Mike Buxton

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 04:30:16 AM »
Hi,

I ask the questions because if your current computer is big enough and fast enough you could probably dual boot Win98 and say, XP - but perhaps, especially at the beginning, only booting into XP when using it for your Internet connection and emails - there would be practically no learning curve and you could continue using Avast with its A1 protection.

A few years ago when visiting my far-away-sister-in-law, she had major problems with  XP (but not because of any intrinsic deficiency in XP) and I had only 4 hours to fix them but never having previously used XP it was a really major hassle to find my way around (though I did just manage to fix everything).  That experience turned me off XP and in any case I didn't want or need it then as I was a very happy with W98SE, however, as with yourself, the upcoming cessation of Avast support for W98 required/requires new thinking.

I now use Xubuntu (a free Linux version) and W98SE. I have many strategies to avoid  disasters from viruses to hard disk failure. Xubuntu needs a major learning curve but if only used for Internet and emails it would take, I think, at most a few hours to become proficient. Also Xubuntu is so  secure that Linux infections are almost unheard of and I can use the Linux version of Avast (which is expected to continue indefinitely) to continue to check for Windows infections - this will be important as cloning a clean system for a 20 minute full clone back is great but its not so clever to clone an already infected system.

My regards

Mike Buxton

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 04:45:36 AM »
Hi all,

A year or so ago DavidR solved a problem for me and he has been a huge help to so many forum users.

He did once tell me off for posting in the wrong place but then he was probably right, and lots of you will know I'm not all honey - even my wife has tried, unsuccessfully, to part-exchange me a couple of times recently.

My regards

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:48:23 AM by Mike Buxton »

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »
how can such a thread exist  ??? Gotta say I'm impressed with the fact anyone here's patient enough to answer the OP.
This topic should be either locked or deleted. Someone is running an obsolete piece of software and insulting the development teams that obviously won't waste their time anymore to support it.
 If I run a forum and you came there to post something like that, I would ban you Sir  ;D

edit: I wrote teams and not team as I'd bet anything someone like this is posting the same bs on other places  ::)...Comodo, OnlineArmor etc...there's always there someone complaining the software doesn't run on his so called "machine", because he's either running win9x or/and a pentium 2 with 64 MB RAM...and then comes all the rest, MS is greedy etc...I got a nausea when I read stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:39:17 AM by Logos »

XxCompg33kxX

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 10:32:07 AM »
Sorry Mate , Its not going to be available you will probably have to upgrade