Author Topic: Can't Get Avast To Install On My Win 98 SE Computer, Pentium 3  (Read 18861 times)

Lidarose

I was an AVG user and still have the AVG free program installed on my older Win 98 SE computer, which is my second computer (i.e., spare).  I could not upgrade AVG any further due to my older OS, and heard that AVAST would still work with Win 98 SE.  I would think it is necessary to uninstall the AVG program BEFORE installing the AVAST program, but the AVG program has 3 viruses quarantined in its Virus Vault, which if I uninstall the program, will become active again!  I tried to install the AVAST program (by downloading the home version from their website), with AVG still intalled, but got the following error message, along with the description of my OS, etc.:

"Program folder does not exist in registry"
                                          POST result:  0x200000004, server response:  0

I'm not sure why it won't install and wonder if anyone can tell me if (1) it's possible to install AVAST over AVG, and if not, (2)  how to uninstall AVG so that I can keep the 3 viruses it found quarantined somehow, so they don't re-invade my computer, and (3)  How to install AVAST without running into this same error message again!

Thanks for any help anyone can afford, I'm totally flummoxed!!!

Sincerely,
Lida

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't Get Avast To Install On My Win 98 SE Computer, Pentium 3
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
No, if you uninstall AVG the files in vault won't be restored (I think).
You may delete them from vault before uninstalling AVG.
Do not try to install or run both at the same time.
The best things in life are free.

Lidarose

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
Will the latest version of AVAST be compatible with my Win 98 SE OS?  I thought perhaps that was why it wouldn't install???

Lida

Lidarose

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »
Also, while trying to uninstall AVG, the program asked me what I wanted to do with the 3 viruses in the vault, i.e., uninstall them with the program, or keep them quarantined somehow - (didn't know how AVG would do this if its program was being uninstalled)?

I didn't know what to answer???  Does anyone know what I should do when it asks me this again?

Lida

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:01:06 PM »
I'd delete them if they've been in your quarantine for some time.  If they were recently found, it might be a good idea to keep them.

I agree, that if you remove AVG, but leave files in the quarantine, it's hard to believe that your system is protected.  I guess it could guard them with standard NTFS permissions, but I don't know.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:53 PM »
Im just a bit curious what is the virus name and location. Thank.

Edit : If you did delete it already well its not a problem i was curious to see what it is.

Mr.Agent

Lidarose

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »
Not sure the names of the viruses, ( I think a couple of them were trojans), but the next time I boot up the old Win 98 SE computer, I'll be happy to relay them to you, Mr. Agent!  No, I've done nothing yet.  Haven't uninstalled AVG, as I was afraid the viruses would re-infect my computer!  Tried to install AVAST with AVG still installed, but got the error message I mention above.  No one's mentioned anything as to what that error message means?!  I guess I can take that to mean that no one knows...(?)

Thanx for your responses!

Lida   :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:40:41 PM »
Haven't uninstalled AVG, as I was afraid the viruses would re-infect my computer!
They won't.

Tried to install AVAST with AVG still installed, but got the error message I mention above.
Never run two antivirus at the same time. They will conflict.
The best things in life are free.

Lidarose

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 05:30:56 AM »
Can anyone give me any info on the error message I received while trying to install AVAST???  Tried to copy and paste it here, but it wouldn't copy and paste?!  Below is what I thought was the most pertinent part of it:

"Program folder does not exist in registry"
                               POST result:  0x200000004, server response:  0"

Also, no one answered to whether the latest version of AVAST on AVAST's website is compatible with Win 98 SE?

Thanx,
Lida

yawetage

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:23:42 AM »
Basically, the error message means that AVG is not letting you install avast because they are both resident AV programs; people often get this message when they already have an AV installed (I've seen it before with Norton). Avast 4.8 is compatible with both Windows 95 and Windows 98. There have been some reports of Windows 98 users being unable to get large updates to the virus database, but this can be fixed by downloading the database manually. To be honest, it's not very safe to be online if you have Windows 98; it's just too outdated. Perhaps you could try Windows 2000 if your PC could take it.

Lidarose

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »
Thanx, Yawetage...my Win 98 SE computer is a 2nd computer, and I hardly ever use it, other than to boot it up once a month, to keep it going,  just in case I ever have a problem with my Dell XPS 410, running Win XP Pro and its Fax.  Unfortunately, the old WIN 98 SE computer is a DIAL-UP, Pentium 3 computer, with not enough hard drive space left on it to run Win XP, but it does have a working fax and printer, which I use as a spare.  However, I would like to have some kind of virus protection on it, in order to keep it running without incident.

Removing AVG, which became unuseable when they brought out their latest version, which was not made for Win 98 SE, rendered it unprotected, so, of course, I'd like to install AVAST, which would be compatible with WIN 98 SE!  Am finding this harder than I thought, as I still have Norton Systemworks installed (I removed Norton's anti-virus program), but am concerned about the removal of AVG, because of the 3 viruses/trojans it quarantined!  As I stated earlier, when uninstalling AVG, it did give me the option of keeping those 3 viruses/trojans in quarantine, but I have no idea how AVG would do this, without conflicting with the later installation of AVAST.

This is where I could use some knowledgeable help!

Any thoughts on this, Yawetage?

Exasperatedly,    ::)
Lida             
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:26:57 PM by Lidarose »

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »

AVG would do this by not completely removing it's program. Hence, the conflict you are having while trying to install avast. AVG must be completely removed which will destroy the virus/malware that it has in quarantine. Please completely remove AVG from your computer and then install avast.

I hope the above makes clearer what the others have posted above.

Lidarose

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
Thanx CharleyO - it most assuredly does!  I'll give it a shot and report back, if there are any further problems.

Thanks to all for your assistance!

Gratefully,
Lida       :)

Lidarose

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 03:53:30 AM »
Hi - sorry it took me so long to get back, but I had surgery and am now post-op!

I tried to remove AVG 7.5 build 550, from my Win 98 SE computer via both its own uninstall program which didn't work, and then via Add/Remove Programs which also didn't work.  I just can't seem to get rid of this dang program!

Here is the error message I received after making the two attempts to remove it (same error message on both attempts):

Local machine:  installation failed
Installation:
Error:  Action failed for file setup.exe. creating backup....Access is denied (5)%DESTINATION% = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVGFree\setup.exe.install_backup",
%SOURCE% = "C:\ProgramFiles\Grisoft\AVGFree\setup.exe"

This sounds like the type of error message one would get if installing a program, not unintalling it, (lol)!     :o

I'm thoroughly flummoxed!   ???

Can anyone help?  I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I can install AVAST on my Win 98 SE computer!

Lida

cinchez

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 04:01:04 AM »
Are u an administrator?^^

If not, then that would be the answer^^

-AnimeLover^^