Author Topic: The blue "a-ball" want display in system tray  (Read 8272 times)

kSloan

The blue "a-ball" want display in system tray
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
Good day everyone,

I have encountered a problem with the blue "a-ball" not showing up in my system tray. I have followed all instructions to reestablish in the system but to no avail.  It appears that the blue "a-ball" is NOT active.  When I click the "a-ball" short cut via desktop, it just hangs there not doing anything (non-responsive).  I went to Add/Remove programs--it will not launch at all after repetitive clicks. Additionally, I went into safe mode to delete old/previous version of Avast and I was successful however, upon re-installing Avast the blue "a-ball" still does not show in the system tray.  I am fearful that my computer may be infiltrated with a rogue virus.  I need to reestablish this great program IMMEDIATELY--please advise soonest ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: The blue "a-ball" want display in system tray
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:35:38 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Check and post the results.

Which was your old antivirus?
How did you uninstall it?
The best things in life are free.

kSloan

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:38:53 AM »
First, of all thank you for the advice/instructions however, the blue "a-ball" icon want display in the system tray.  I forgot to mention in my first post that I had already completed the instructions you provided.  At this point, I really NEED to get Avast active on my system because my computer is at RISK for virus(es).  Can you or someone provide any additional advice/instruction on how I can get Avast active on my computer soonest? ???

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:19:13 AM »

Which was your old antivirus?
How did you uninstall it?
Can you answer this?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
Besides the old antivirus questions, is ashServ.exe running?
Is the icon shown in system tray or not?
The best things in life are free.

maxwachtel

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »
Might also be useful to know what version of windows(XP SP2/XP SP3/Vista SP1 etc.) and what other security programs(Firewall/Anti-Spyware etc.) are installed.

kSloan

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:22 PM »
Besides the old antivirus questions, is ashServ.exe running? No
Is the icon shown in system tray or not? No

How might I check to see what old antivirus I had because when I checked properties (before deleting)it indicated Avast 4.8 home version.  Guys I need a fix to this dilemna..I am at lost...PLEASE HELP

kSloan

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 11:26:18 PM »
Might also be useful to know what version of windows(XP SP2/XP SP3/Vista SP1 etc.) and what other security programs(Firewall/Anti-Spyware etc.) are installed.

I am running XP w/SuperAntiSpyware and SpyBot (Search & Destroy) and prior to me losing the Avast antivirus program the SuperAntiSpyware and SpyBot were compatible with no issues.  I simply do not know how/why Avast suddenly disappeared from the system tray.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:17:13 AM »
Spybot and Superantispyware are antispyware programs, and (unless you've purchased the pro version of Superantispyware (SAS for short) neither run in realtime, that is, they are not antiviruses.

Go to the control panel and select "system". The screen that will open, in the "general" tab, will tell you what your service pack status is. (See pic below.)
Then go to the control panel again, select "add remove programs". It will take a few seconds to open. Sort the programs be name, and browse through to look for an antivirus program that is not Avast. The computer quite likely came with something like Norton pre-installed.

Let us know what you find.

kSloan

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:52:40 AM »
Spybot and Superantispyware are antispyware programs, and (unless you've purchased the pro version of Superantispyware (SAS for short) neither run in realtime, that is, they are not antiviruses.

Go to the control panel and select "system". The screen that will open, in the "general" tab, will tell you what your service pack status is. (See pic below.)
Then go to the control panel again, select "add remove programs". It will take a few seconds to open. Sort the programs be name, and browse through to look for an antivirus program that is not Avast. The computer quite likely came with something like Norton pre-installed.

1. You are absolutely correct SAS and Spybot do not run in real time on my computer. They are initiated/launched by me...
2. The service pack on my computer is "service pack 3"
3. The computer came pre-installed w/Norton on a trial basis of 90 days. After 90 days I opted not to continue and went with Avast as my Antivirus program.

Upon further discovery I noticed in control panel via Security center
 -Firewall  ON
 -Automatic updates ON
 -Virus Protection ON (Windows Protection Suite is running) I know for a fact I did not install Windows Protection Suite, is this a rogue Virus that manage to infiltrate my computer and acting as though its a Antivirus program running in real time?  Additionally, would this be result of my computer not recognizing Avast as the current antivirus running on my system.  Windows Protection Suite is not listed in the Add/Remove programs via Control panel...

Man, I am seriously worried about this recent discovery...Please provide REMEDY(s) >:(

maxwachtel

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 05:10:21 AM »
You need to google "Norton removal tool" and remove all traces of norton. You may need to reinstall avast after running the removal tool. PCDecrapifer might be a good tool to use to get rid of trial software preinstalled also. Using CCleaner(CrapCleaner) would be a good idea too. One more thing, if you do not have a NAT router with a built-in firewall,go buy one(they are cheap these days-under 50$US)

Adela

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 05:28:39 AM »
Hello and I'm sorry for the intrusion but I seem to have basically the exact same problem as KSloan.  I was looking for "New Topic" to start a new thread and not disturb this one, but can't find it(?).  Please someone tell me how to post my problem?  While it is basically the same as KSloan, it only happened today while, after using it for 60 days without problems, Avast made me re-register for 14 more months and here's where, when I got to the part of clicking on the A-Ball...I discovered that it is no longer in my taskbar bottom right.  I'll give my computer details when I know where to post.

Thanks for someone to tell me how to post.  :)       Adela

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:36:54 AM »
Welcome Adela

Return back to avast! 4.x Home/Pro so that you are not reading this topic then on the right you will see a tab NEW TOPIC to start your own.

Include operating system and service pack level and any information on any previous anti virus application that you had running.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »

1. You are absolutely correct SAS and Spybot do not run in real time on my computer. They are initiated/launched by me...
2. The service pack on my computer is "service pack 3"
3. The computer came pre-installed w/Norton on a trial basis of 90 days. After 90 days I opted not to continue and went with Avast as my Antivirus program.

Upon further discovery I noticed in control panel via Security center
 -Firewall  ON
 -Automatic updates ON
 -Virus Protection ON (Windows Protection Suite is running) I know for a fact I did not install Windows Protection Suite, is this a rogue Virus that manage to infiltrate my computer and acting as though its a Antivirus program running in real time?  Additionally, would this be result of my computer not recognizing Avast as the current antivirus running on my system.  Windows Protection Suite is not listed in the Add/Remove programs via Control panel...

Man, I am seriously worried about this recent discovery...Please provide REMEDY(s) >:(

Don't be too worried. (Just a little. It's fixable.)
-Please download MBAM and save it to your desktop. Install it then check for updates.
-Please download the Norton Removal tool (from MagorGeeks.)
-Once updated, please also update SAS.
-If you do not have the full install file for Avast, download it by clicking here. (Direct download, 36.3Mb, from the Avast site.)
-Have a look at this, (for independent verification of what I'm posting.) You might want to print it. Bleeping computer, removal instructions.

-Go offline.
-Uninstall Windows Protection Suite via the control panel. (It may refuse to uninstall, or do something else a bit weird. Don't worry if that's the case.)
-Run a quick scan with MBAM. Have it delete anything found. If it prompts to restart to complete removal, do so promptly.
-Uninstall via the control panel anything with the name "Norton" or "Symantec" in it. This is to do with the trial version on your computer. This is not malware, but will interfere with another installed AV. If there are any Norton applications you wish to retain, let me know.
-Run the Norton Removal tool. It will take a minute or two.
-Via the control panel, add/remove programs, select Avast antivirus, change, and then "repair". This should only take a minute. If for any reason it doesn't work, you have the full install file handy, and can follow the "install from scratch" post by Tech, above.
-Go online. Update Avast.

Please post the MBAM scan report here, and let us know how it's going, now. This should have fixed it. Then I (or we) have some advice about how to stay secure online, which you might want to check out.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:28:08 AM by Tarq57 »

Adela

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 06:02:28 PM »
THANK YOU YoKenny, will do.  Will see you at  the next thread.   :)  Adela