Author Topic: Invalid License Key  (Read 25593 times)

grandmasterb

Invalid License Key
« on: September 17, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »
Avast will not accept the license key that I received in an e-mail.

The key is:    C1848944H1400A0811-.....

Any suggestions?

I am using a Windows 98 system. :(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:03:29 PM by igor »

spg SCOTT

Re: Invalid License Key
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »
Hi grandmasterb,

Is this a home or pro license?
Where did you get the key?

I am not sure whether it is actually necessary to post the whole key really...

Can you double check the system time and date?

Do these help?
avast! license key tutorial
avast! FAQ >> Invalid License Number

-Scott-

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
What build of avast! do you have installed?

grandmasterb

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »
I have done all of that.

I posted the whole key because AVAST tells me it is invalid and I am hoping that someone call explain WHY it is invalid.

Thank You

grandmasterb

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
i have the Avast! Home Edition 4.7.942

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »
Honestly, I don't think anybody can tell you what it going on in that ancient version.
I suggest to update to the latest build first.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
Well the avast version is way out of date, the current version is 4.8.1351 and that may contribute the problem.

So I would suggest that you do a clean reinstall of the latest version of avast.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

darkchild101

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 02:52:09 AM »
Hi Guys i too am having this problem and have been for the past 2/3 weeks trying install avast without success. Done all the recommmended thing like check the date settings and still no luck.

Ended up here and deleted/uninstalled all the avast downloads i had on my laptop using David Rs tool just above my post and installed latest version of Avast and still its stillcoming back as invalid licence key

What could be causing this. I am using Firefox and Windows Vista if it helps :'( :'( :'(

Desperate

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 03:30:57 AM »
Have you tried getting a new license key (and are we talking about avast 4.8 Home) ?
- Complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key. Use the option I'm a registered user but my key has expired, that should ensure that you don't get a copy of the same key back.

Are these some of the things you tried ?
Q: My licence key has expired, what to do? http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-registration-license.html#idt_1442
Q: "Invalid license number". Why? http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-invalid-license-number.html Or Insert Registration Key - Video
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

darkchild101

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »
DavidR i have tried all the things above from watching the video to see where i am going wrong to checking the date as well as checking if its latest version of avast and in all cases it cheks all the right boxes and yet still keep getting invalid licence. What could be causing this guys as i am at my wits end.

Have unstalled and reinstalled it about 5 times but still same problem

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »
So did you get a new license/registration key ?
e.g. did you check it was a different one.

If you re-register and input the same email that you used before it is possible you would be sent a copy of the one you have (compare the two). That is why I suggested you should use the "I'm a registered user but my key has expired" option.

I know I'm going over old ground but your answer was not detailed, but a I tried everything, call me fickle but I like to know exactly what you have done or I'm guessing.

darkchild101

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »
Yeah they are different keys. Even tried registering with my other email address and was sent different key and yet the problem persists

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 05:46:12 PM »
Yeah they are different keys. Even tried registering with my other email address and was sent different key and yet the problem persists
Please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 06:35:31 PM »

OK, when you did the reinstalls, did you also run the avast uninstall utility ?

If not and there is nothing in the setup.log, a clean reinstall (I know) would be the only other thing I can suggest.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

darkchild101

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »
Ok chaps will try that. So when i do a clean install, do i register for a new licence key or choose the lost my licence key or what

@ Tech, tried to post the log as requested but came back saying the post exceeding the permitted 1000 characters allowed so how do i get around that or can i send PM to you to look at it
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:12:12 PM by darkchild101 »