Author Topic: conflict problem using Avast  (Read 15997 times)

aboutface

conflict problem using Avast
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:14:25 PM »
I just recently downloaded Avast on to a new notebook but after a few days It took up to 15 minutes to connect to my wireless network, the computer slowed down and froze. Also the avast ball with  "a" in it had a red mark and I could not scan or update and I kept getting the message " RPC error ".
I then removed Avast from my computer and the problems disappeared.
I then reloaded Avast and the computer seemed to be OK
After closing down and rebooting the next day the same problems are back.
I have again removed avast from the computer
I have never run any other anti virus programme but the computer is reconditioned bought from PC World
Should I try another anti virus programme or can someone help me with this problem ??? 

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: conflict problem using Avast
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:22:46 PM »
are you sure there are not another antivirus running in your computer now or before installing avast! antivirus?

please post a HijackThis Log here:

1. Download and run HijackThis from: http://go.trendmicro.com/free-tools/hijackthis/HijackThis.exe
2. after Run, do a system scan using that and save the log file
3. Attach the log file to your next post/reply.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:29:24 PM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

aboutface

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 08:35:38 PM »
Omid
Thank you for your quick reply. I did a scan as you suggested but I am not sure how to attach this to my reply, I cant find where it is saved to.
regards
aboutface

aboutface

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »
Omar
I think Ive got it. Please let me know if this is what you asked for
regards
aboutface.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:03:41 PM »
Omid
Thank you for your quick reply. I did a scan as you suggested but I am not sure how to attach this to my reply, I cant find where it is saved to.
regards
aboutface

no problem.

if you want to attach the log, here is step by step guide.

1. when you did a scan with HijackThis program, it would open a log file itself (mostly in Notepad), so you can save it from File Menu -> Save as.
2. if it did not open log file itself, you have selected "scan only" in main menu, close program, open it again and choose scan and save a log file.
3. to post the log file here you have 2 options:
          a) when you are writing the reply, click on the "Additional Options" below the text box area and you would see "browse" button, click on it and select were you have saved the log file.
          b) you might copy whole area of the log file, everything in log file, and paste it here as reply, which is not recommended. it's better you attach the log file to your post.

Good Luck.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
Omar
I think Ive got it. Please let me know if this is what you asked for
regards
aboutface.

Yes, that's same what I asked you.

your logfile is clean and there is nothing in that which conflict with avast! (else than SpyBot TeaTimer which rarely may cause slow down to your computer by keeping your CPU high).

can you please explain more about your problem, exactly what problem you have when you install avast! antivirus ?

for the RPC Error, did you try this? : http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-other-questions.html#idt_1539
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:14:55 PM by Omid Farhang »

bobo1

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
You must have remains of another antivirus program on your computer in the registry that cause avast RPC errors. Nortons have a removal tool & macafee have one too!. Symantec/Norton antiviruses are renown to leave bits and pieces behind.

aboutface

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:04:13 PM »
Omid
Yes I did follow the instructions as shown on your link,it was on automatic and was running, I even tried the restart to no avail,
As well as the problems I reported in my origional post, when I tried to start the wireless network in control panel the torch light came on and control panel could not be found. when I tried connect to the computer froze and I had to close down using the on/off button. This happened many times before I deleted Avast

aboutface

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 10:08:26 PM »
bobo1
Thanks for your involvement.
If there remnents of previous anti virus programmes. Is it possible to download a free tool to remove any programme

bobo1

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »
Hi
Looked at your log.
Spybot search and destroy i use this but do not have tea timer running as this may cause lock up with avast. You can un install spybot and re install it with out tea timer running. See what that does.

bobo1

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »
The removal tools are within the MacAfee & Symantec web sites
Symantec (Norton removal tool) I think Pc world install norton/ symantec products on their laptops they sell ie norton 360 etc.

aboutface

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »
Hi bobo1 , Omid
I have to go out soon and will return to this thread tomorrow.

bobo- I will try as you suggest tomorrow morning and post the results

Thanks both

bobo1

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:49:22 PM »
Also noted in the log that you are running IE8. IE8 Has caused me bother in the past and i had to go back to IE7. As this trashed my internet connection on xp service pack 3. If your internet is ok keep IE8.

silvertones

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
If you're comfortable go into device manager, Under view check"show hidden devices" the expand "non plug and play". Delete the drivers from any previously uninstalled AV products.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »
Hi
Looked at your log.
Spybot search and destroy i use this but do not have tea timer running as this may cause lock up with avast. You can un install spybot and re install it with out tea timer running. See what that does.

no need to do this, to disable SpyBot Residents, just open the SpyBot, from view menu go to advanced mode, then in the left column, in the settings find Residents and un-check/de-select both IE and TeaTimer residents.

If you're comfortable go into device manager, Under view check"show hidden devices" the expand "non plug and play". Delete the drivers from any previously uninstalled AV products.

No good advise, too risky, at least for newbie users.

to remove remaining parts of your antivirus use the uninstall/removal tools from same vendor:
Symantec Norton: download and run Norton Removal Tool
McAfee: Download and run McAfee Removal Tool
AVG: Download and run AVG Remover 32Bit or AVG Remover 64Bit.

Also noted in the log that you are running IE8. IE8 Has caused me bother in the past and i had to go back to IE7. As this trashed my internet connection on xp service pack 3. If your internet is ok keep IE8.
it's always recommended to use latest version of computer programs for all reasons. safety, stability etc.
and also down-grading programs version is never recommended, if you had problem with IE 8 you must find the problem or in-compatibility reason in your own computer. avast! antivirus has no problem with Internet Explorer 8.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:05:08 AM by Omid Farhang »