Author Topic: Thanks Avast  (Read 9312 times)

Matt_Matt

Thanks Avast
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:17:10 PM »
Do to the false positive last night, i had to reformat my computer....thanks you for nothing
 >:(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Thanks Avast
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »
Talk about a massive over reaction, reformat.

Whilst there is no doubt this was a huge pain in the rear, no way it should have required a reformat to resolve. Even if you deleted all the files detected (never a good option without full investigation) it wouldn't have touched the system files (certainly none reported in the topics I viewed).

Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

Restore a false positive from avast chest (version avast 4.8), see http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=376.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
I guess another big issue here (like it happened with Comodo a few weeks ago) will be the amount of noobs running their computer on one unique partition, and saving their stuff very naturally on the Windows drive There might be a need to reformat and reinstall after such a disaster, depending on what was affected, and restoration options, but those complaining that they lost personal data can only blame themselves for, once again, saving it on drive C:/  ::)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:44:13 PM by Logos »

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:52:51 PM »
I see what David is saying. Reformat is a huge over reaction. I have had issues with my PC (not from Avast!), but my mindset is that anything can be fixed and or repaired with some time and patience and if your personal files and programs are valuable to you its worth the time to try and fix the issue.

Also, as a good rule of thumb. Always investigate (I.E Google) the files. Keep files in the chest for a week or more before deletion.

Matt_Matt

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »
yeah, i really should have done that. it was just that i had an infection with Virut a year ago, and the only option back then was to reformat.
So when avast started detecting a huge number of my programs and files as infected, I had a flashback, and i just hit the kill switch.

...sigh...i should have saved my files on removable media first.
now its all gone  :(

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:55:28 PM »
yeah, i really should have done that. it was just that i had an infection with Virut a year ago, and the only option back then was to reformat.
So when avast started detecting a huge number of my programs and files as infected, I had a flashback, and i just hit the kill switch.

not necessarily on removable media (that's for backup), but on a separate partition on the same disk  ;)

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:59:01 PM »

I've been in your position though, it does suck. An external hard drive is a great idea, pretty cheap too. Best of luck to you Matt_Matt.

Joe S

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
Kind of ruined my night too. All the browsers were closed and suddenly the alerts started. One of the main targets was Webroot Spy Sweeper chest which had some tracking cookies then program files. Avast only let me delete files. While I was fighting popups I finally got Spy Sweeper shut down. About then Avast updated and alerts stopped. I figured it was a bad update the way it stopped so suddenly and the forum didn't load.
For safety I uninstalled Spy Sweeper ran their removal tool. I did the same for Avast. Then I installed Avast and then Spy Sweeper. I didn't want any damaged or corrupt files.
Joe

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »
Kind of ruined my night too. All the browsers were closed and suddenly the alerts started. One of the main targets was Webroot Spy Sweeper chest which had some tracking cookies then program files. Avast only let me delete files. While I was fighting popups I finally got Spy Sweeper shut down. About then Avast updated and alerts stopped. I figured it was a bad update the way it stopped so suddenly and the forum didn't load.
For safety I uninstalled Spy Sweeper ran their removal tool. I did the same for Avast. Then I installed Avast and then Spy Sweeper. I didn't want any damaged or corrupt files.
Joe

Sounds good, thanks for your patience and accept our apologies.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Joe S

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »
Something else  I did this afternoon after I saw the Notice here was run System Restore to make sure no other programs were affected. So far everything seems to work fine. I hope the Avast quality control puts in a different process to test definitions before public release so this is a one time event.
Joe

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:23:04 PM »
Well, as a matter of fact, the process is quite good but problems start happening when someone decides to not follow it (in an attempt to solve a different, smaller issue)... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:18:23 PM »
Well, as a matter of fact, the process is quite good but problems start happening when someone decides to not follow it (in an attempt to solve a different, smaller issue)... :-\
Sounds like someone is in the doghouse....
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 06:38:04 AM »
Who might be responsible for all this blunder?

Someone in Avast

Who is that guy? >:(

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 09:16:21 AM »

They are not likely to say who. Besides, the name really does not matter to us.
Everyone makes a mistake now and then. The important thing is to learn from the mistakes we make.

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »
Who might be responsible for all this blunder?

Someone in Avast

Who is that guy? >:(

this is exactly what you shouldn't ask  >:( What would you do if you were in a position to have a word @ Avast, suggest to send the guy to jail, cut one of his hands, crucify him what ??? this question about who did it is a shame. You want a name, address, phone number, beliefs etc... ::)