Author Topic: ThreatFire  (Read 9268 times)

Alan|Cvette

Re: ThreatFire
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
@Alan|Cvette: you can also use pc tools firewall as a firewall alternative to comodo. It has performed very well in matousec Proactive Security Challenge.

I actually gave that a try just 3... maybe 4 weeks ago. The interface is what bugged me the most though. Never really got a chance to try it out 100%.

Mikos

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 10:36:37 PM »
One thing that most people advise (which I have read in Forums about Threat Fire) is that you should not register it in the Security Center. I think there is an option to do that since it will get identified as an Anti Spyware and that may create conflicts. Don't know if it is true. But I just followed it. I did use threat fire before but I decided against it. It was causing my browsers to have this delay in loading websites. I do understand it since Avast already scans websites, and you have threat fire coming also to scan any possible attacks based on behavior. I just find it too cumbersome. But don't get me wrong. I saw the reviews of Threat Fire and they are very good, even stellar.

As for Comodo, it made my PC freeze during one of Avast's updates. Since then, I threw it out of the Window. Their software is also bloated for just a Firewall. I use Online Armor. But I heard, Outpost Free and PC Tools Firewall Plus also works well with Avast. :)

Just a noobs thoughts....

Mikos

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »
One thing that most people advise (which I have read in Forums about Threat Fire) is that you should not register it in the Security Center. I think there is an option to do that since it will get identified as an Anti Spyware and that may create conflicts. Don't know if it is true. But I just followed it. I did use threat fire before but I decided against it. It was causing my browsers to have this delay in loading websites. I do understand it since Avast already scans websites, and you have threat fire coming also to scan any possible attacks based on behavior. I just find it too cumbersome. But don't get me wrong. I saw the reviews of Threat Fire and they are very good, even stellar.

As for Comodo, it made my PC freeze during one of Avast's updates. Since then, I threw it out of the Window. Their software is also bloated for just a Firewall. I use Online Armor. But I heard, Outpost Free and PC Tools Firewall Plus also works well with Avast. :)

Hi there Mikos, I too have experienced the internet slow down too after installing TF last year. Wish they could have done something about that but the issue still persists. Yes Comodo still to this day is a little bloated, they did a great job last time at cutting the program down from 87MB to 42MB. The Defense+ can be a bit cumbersome if you don't have a ton of patience to train it. It does get irritating though.

I've been dying to use OA again but they still do not have a x64 version of the program.

Outpost I used not long ago, was rather nice but I had a better sense of protection from Comodo.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 12:10:11 AM »
Hi Alan|Cvette,

I had no paticular hick-ups with TF while having it on my XP SP3, the only isue is the freeze while Threatfire does the update. I have no such issue with ImmunetProtect and RUBotted,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!