Author Topic: ThreatFire  (Read 9269 times)

Alan|Cvette

ThreatFire
« on: December 05, 2009, 02:29:08 AM »
Hello, hope everyone has had a good week.

I currently am looking for other security apps to run with my Avast!, I've been leaning towards using ThreatFire again like I use to last year. Currently I am using Comodo's Defense+, I'm not making a ThreatFire vs Comodo type thread haha ;D I simply am asking the community and/or previous ThreatFire users for some advice.

Cheers!
Alan.

DarkLegend

Re: ThreatFire
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:32:55 AM »
You can use

MBAM

SAS

and

A Squared

as on-demand scanners.

Omega40

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:45:19 AM »
You can use

MBAM

SAS

and

A Squared

as on-demand scanners.

Choose one, or all three?

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:46:11 AM »
Currently I am using 2/3 of those. MBam and A2. I never really trusted SAS but if its worth it, I'll give it a shot.

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 02:52:17 AM »
Would it be advisable to run Immunet Protect along side my Avast?

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 02:56:41 AM »
Immunet Protect won't hurt.

I use MBAM and A2 is a bit bloated for my liking and SAS is good as a second opinion if you suspect an infection.

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 02:59:22 AM »
Immunet Protect won't hurt.

I use MBAM and A2 is a bit bloated for my liking and SAS is good as a second opinion if you suspect an infection.

Thanks YoKenny, I'll re-install IP and give it a shot. Hoping I don't BSOD with it running next to Avast!. I love A2, and since I'm on x64 I can only use it as a scanner. So I never knew about it being bloated. SAS is going in as a 2nd scanner tonight.

PS: Awesome "Personal Text" you have there  ;D

DarkLegend

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 03:22:44 AM »
You can use

MBAM

SAS

and

A Squared

as on-demand scanners.

Choose one, or all three?

You can use all 3 of them if you wish. As they are ALL on-demand only (Meaning when you start it by hand). On-Demand do not cause conflicts with your AV. However, if you buy the pro version of any of them I think they come with real-time protection (scanning 24/7) which DOES cause conflicts. And in that case you should only have one real-time scanner active at a time.

I think the upgraded or bought version of MBAM has a real-time scanner.

I think,but am not sure, the free ver of sas does do some monitoring of the system without having to buy it. But it SHOULDN'T conflict at all with your current av. It's usually when you get two anti-virus programs using real-time that conflict. Like ESET's Nod32 and avast!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:25:25 AM by DarkLegend »

Omega40

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 03:47:16 AM »
...bought version of MBAM has a real-time scanner.

Hmm..I paid the one time fee for  MBAM's real-time scanner.
Will that create a problem with Avast?

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 06:18:51 AM »

Hmm..I paid the one time fee for  MBAM's real-time scanner.
It will not have a problem with avast!

@ Alan|Cvette

I have been using MBAM since it first came out.  

I'm not a fan of Comodo:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46737.0

I do like avast! V5 firewall. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:24:17 AM by YoKenny »

DarkLegend

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »

Hmm..I paid the one time fee for  MBAM's real-time scanner.

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was not only applying "But it SHOULDN'T conflict at all with your current av. It's usually when you get two anti-virus programs using real-time that conflict. Like ESET's Nod32 and avast!" to SAS only. I did mean MBAM. I have never used their real-time shields and have never checked into it.

With that said, I'm not sure what their real-time shield does. I think,if I'm not mistaken (and yokenny can correct me if I'm wrong, as he has more experience in that area than I do.) it monitors your memory for active infections and stops you from connecting to known malware sites.

So no, It shouldn't be a problem with avast.

It's having two AV's running at the same time (like I have posted before, for example) that conflict. Reason being, they wan't to fight over who gets to do what when an infection is found.

Hope I cleared it up :D.

Omega40

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 10:03:18 AM »
With that said, I'm not sure what their real-time shield does. I think,if I'm not mistaken (and yokenny can correct me if I'm wrong, as he has more experience in that area than I do.) it monitors your memory for active infections and stops you from connecting to known malware sites.

Right, DarkLegend...I found that it also checks IP numbers to affected sites and blocks them.
The IP protection can be turned off, however, if need be.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »
Last time I think people were saying that A2 is not that good because it detects a lot of false positives

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 06:31:41 PM »
@DarkLegend: Real time monitoring of SAS is also available in their paid product. I can monitor the change in IE homepage but only when you start SAS next time.
@shiw liang: you are right A2 have a lots of false positive detection which is mostly due to their Ikarus engine.
@Alan|Cvette: you can also use pc tools firewall as a firewall alternative to comodo. It has performed very well in matousec Proactive Security Challenge.
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 06:43:35 PM »
It has performed very well in matousec Proactive Security Challenge.
Just for information about the leak tests limitations: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29259.msg247460#msg247460
The best things in life are free.