Author Topic: Avast 5 released to public too soon ?  (Read 28426 times)

enddays

Avast 5 released to public too soon ?
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »
Perhaps it is just me, but I feel that Avast 5 final has been released far too soon as it is still very buggy and with far too many BSOD's, and without any real explanations and official fixes for these glitches coming from the developers. I appreciate that they might be under pressure to complete Avast 5 but it does not do the reputation of this program any good to release it in this sorry state  :-[ 

sded

Re: Avast 5 released to public too soon ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
I have had no issues with Avast! 5 on two different Vista machines for some time using the various Avast! 5 betas.  Once the beta testers stop finding problems, bringing in the public to look for other issues is about the only alternative.  And with a very large number of users (claimed 100 million), sure looks like just a trickle of problems here, mostly incompatibility issues with other programs that just didn't have enough exposure during beta testing.  Getting more "no problems" from most of the beta testers doesn't help mature the product.  Next update should incorporate lots of the new problem reports.  Most of us are very happy with "this sorry state"  :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:18:21 PM »
I've also had no problems with the Free version on both Windows 7 (32 bit) and Windows XP.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:40:40 PM »
No problem no bsod just a small thing that i did find strange and its the removable media scan... Also maybe some translation error but im sure that will be fixed later. At least i can understand what its mean all is ok. ;D

enddays

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:47:07 PM »
Next update should incorporate lots of the new problem reports.  Most of us are very happy with "this sorry state"

That is the point I am making re ( next update. ) The " lot's of new problems "  have not been adressed yet, most annoying being the recurring BSOD's

sded

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
The public version has been out nearly a week, so probably about time for a new release with many of the new issues solved it it.  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:13:54 AM by sded »

enddays

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »
So far, 2 replies on this thread stating that Avast 5 Free is working as it should, are you all in denial or something !! Avast 5 Free is a crock and should be removed from download sites till it is working properly, as did Avast 4

Mr.Agent

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:03:14 AM »
So far for me i find it very great for a first release but i still cant wait for the another update. ;D

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »
So far, 2 replies on this thread stating that Avast 5 Free is working as it should, are you all in denial or something !! Avast 5 Free is a crock and should be removed from download sites till it is working properly, as did Avast 4
You will find that the most voices raised will be from those that have problems - out of the total user base what is the percentage that are experiencing problems - how many have not posted to say it is working with no problems.  And as stated most can be found as a conflict with other programmes, the beta testers do not use "all programmes".  So far I have had no problems on two Vista and one windows 7 system.  Should I make three posts stating that ?   

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:07:11 AM »
same here no problem at all  ;)

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 12:10:05 AM »
just to add: if the bsod issue among others was so wide spread, there would have been not just a few but tens and tens of users posting to report like it's been the case several weeks ago with the FP disaster. But hey this vast majority didn't post after the release of avast 5, guess why...

sded

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 12:20:31 AM »
Why don't you post your configuration and your list of problems under avast! Free/Pro/Suite so that the developers can work on the issues with you?  There were a large number of beta testers, most of their problems were solved that way, and the newly surfaced issues can be worked off in the same way.  But the fact remains, it is working fine for the overwhelming majority of users, and the developers need more information to solve the remaining issues for others.

Dabur

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »
hi ,

the upgrade period should be extended from feb 1 to at least apr 1 ( !! )

is avast 5 released to soon ? no , its working fine  :)  8)

have a nice day

Philbee

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 01:18:11 AM »
maybe it's just dumb luck, but avast 5.0 seems to be working well on my windows 7 X64 machine.  i have been keeping close track of the problems it has been having on this forum, and i am hoping that a new program update will be released soon.  i think i have been very lucky.  i also tried many of the recent betas during beta testing, and again, i had no problems with them either.  the only security software i am running is windows defender without the on access scanning, and avast 5.0. 377.

i think i may have been very very lucky so far.  i am keeping my fingers crossed that a new update will be released soon.

DarkLegend

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:06 AM »
Same here. Works perfectly on my Win 7 x64... as well as my brothers. No issues besides the sand boxing being a pain.