Author Topic: "Application configuration incorrect...  (Read 9452 times)

Spamlet

"Application configuration incorrect...
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »
XP Home SP3; Avast ?

Having only just found out how to stop the last version of Free to stop popping up/shouting at me/spending ages updating twice or more a day...  I turn on today to get a red popup telling me my license is running out soon.  Clicking the link: instead of a license I get a new version.  Or not!

That was 4 hours ago, and I have now forgotten what I actually wanted to do on the laptop, and still don't know if the av is actually working at all!

There is no icon in XP's notification area, and the desktop icon for the user interface just produces a message saying the application configuration is incorrect so it will not open.  As I need to open it to configure it this is a sick joke.

While there is no icon, and windows security manager tells me no av is running, Services none the less has 3 avast items running, and this is borne out in Process Explorer.

I have tried using the 'repair' button of the uninstaller with no effect.  I have uninstalled, and redownloaded; in safe mode and normal mode; and all I get is the same 'configuration incorrect' message whenever I try to open the user console.

And with all this there has not been anything about the license renewal at all though this is supposed to be what was to happen in the first place!

Now what do I do?

Surprised I don't see any others with this message.

Anyone knowing how to fix, please advise.

Cheers,
S

Tanafreedom

Re: "Application configuration incorrect...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
The same thing happened to me-Tried to renew license- ended up with no Avast-downloaded new version- (3X)  Message:  Application failed to start because application configuration is incorrect.  ???!!   :P  Now it shows as a currently installed program where I have tried to repair, change, and update.  Now it says it's all up to date.  And I have no virus protector?  Haven't the foggiest!  I see no one has replied to you, hope someone sees this and does.  Pleeease.

Spamlet

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
Hi Tana,

I have a little cosolation in that microsofts process explorer power toy, does show that avast is working, and you can also infer this by the long load time when it is updating.  It seems to be just the user interface that won't open.  As we need this to reregister I still don't know what to do about that.  let's hope for some other readers who have solved it!

S

Spamlet

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »
Further information:

I've tried adding all the avast components to the exceptions on the windows firewall; turning off Spybot's TeaTimer; and even turning off the firewall altogether.

When I try a repair install it gets so far and then says unable to configure the user interface, and says to do a full update.  However in the repair mode it gives a debugging log, but in the full update mode it just says unable to configure.

The last few entries of the debugging log are:

02.04.2010 17:22:23 package: LoadProductVpu: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\prod-ais.vpx ended with 00000000
02.04.2010 17:22:23 package: FilterOutExistingFiles: 86 & 86 = 0
02.04.2010 17:22:23 package: IsFullOkay: vps_32-16c.vpx - not okay (doesn't exist)
02.04.2010 17:22:23 package: SetDownloadBits: vps_32 setting 2 diffs to process
02.04.2010 17:22:23 package: IsFullOkay: vps_win32-181.vpx - not okay (doesn't exist)
02.04.2010 17:22:23 package: SetDownloadBits: vps_win32 setting 2 diffs to process
02.04.2010 17:22:23 package: ArePartsInstallable: 0
02.04.2010 17:22:23 package: Error processing packages. 0x20000011

Google searches for these 2 files come up with nothing.

Anyone out there reading this who knows how to make these files exist?

S

Spamlet

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
Hi Tana, if you are still reading this.

I have managed a partial solution (It still will not let me turn on the mail scanner - but I can live with that.)  I don't know which was the cause of the trouble though.

I noticed I had an adaware service running and that it kept coming straight back every time I tried to turn it off.  Its permission sheet only allowed the system administrator to turn it off, and it was rather a pain (in xp home) to get the permission, but I did eventually manage to turn it off.

I also turned off another protection device Spybot's 'teatimer', and the windows firewall.

Then I uninstalled avast, and rebooted, and then got the latest update link from one of the threads above.

Thankfully this then ran to completion and it was good to be able to register properly and to see the icon in the system tray again, and for the user interface to open without an error message.

However, there is still an exclamation mark on the system tray icon to tell me that the mail scanning module is not switched on, and the buttons to switch it on do not work.  As I didn't use mail scanning previously anyway, I can live with that, but I still don't like it when controls don't work!

I can't make changes to the pemissions for the avast programme, stick either...

So partial solution only I'm afraid, but it's a start!

S

Spamlet

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 11:25:40 PM »
Right,

The exclamation mark disappears and the icon rotates when I turn on Outlook:  and off again when I turn off Outlook.  I use Outlook Express mostly, so this is a pain if they have now not given the option of using avast with Outlook Express!

Grrr,

S

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
Right,

The exclamation mark disappears and the icon rotates when I turn on Outlook:  and off again when I turn off Outlook.  I use Outlook Express mostly, so this is a pain if they have now not given the option of using avast with Outlook Express!

Grrr,

S
Mail Shield can protect Outlook Express...
The best things in life are free.

Spamlet

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »
Er could you expand a little on how to get it to start then?

Cheers,
S

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 12:30:01 AM »
Which is your avast version? 5.0.462?
The best things in life are free.

Spamlet

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 12:57:22 AM »
Yes,

see my thread: Outlook Express?  As we are getting off topic of the original post.

Cheers,
S

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 01:36:11 AM »
It isn't going off topic as you say the configuration isn't correct, this could have an impact in a number of areas and asking those trying to help (who are just avast users like yourself) to seek out the information in another topic is not making it easy for them to help as I have said in your other topic.

So it would probably be best for all concerned to copy and paste from that topic and abandon the other one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spamlet

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »
Now working.

After numerous attempts at starting the service in pc managment, and just getting 'access denied', I hit the 'start the service' link one more time, and it did start.  I have no idea why, but it is nice to have functionality at last!

Cheers to all who offerred advice.

S

Tanafreedom

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
Hi, Well, I've spent way too much time on this & haven't found a solution.  I've uninstalled, reinstalled, deactivated firewall and spyware-(Online Armor and Superantispyware) I've cleaned, removed all remnants of McAfee, checked services to see if I had anything blocked,.. can't think of anything else.  Can't see the user interface.  It won't open.  Avast is in program list and I get an opening poster quickly when I open Outlook, so I can see it's working there... I was hoping to not have to change to Avira, but I guess I'm going to have to if noone has an answer.  Anybody know?  I'm running on Windows XP.  Thanks to anyone that can help.

Spamlet

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »
Hi Tana,

Sorry to hear you have still not managed to get to the bottom of the new avast.

I don't recall you saying which operating system you have been using, or whether it is fully up to date - to service pack three if Windows XP.  In my case I had another problem in tandem with the antivirus one, in that I had an old version of the msinstaller programme and this was preventing some updates.  If you are not up to date with SP3 then you may have some important missing updates too.  So I would do this before you try reinstalling avast.

Also, I may not have made it clear that if you are using XP Home the security tabs of the permissions sheets of the various files and folders do not show up unless you are in safe mode, and you can't change them unless you are an 'administrator'.  Some of the services would not let me start them until I was the administrator in safe mode.  Similarly, if you are in XP Pro and have 'simple file sharing' enabled, then you also don't get to see the permissions sheet, in properties, and this can be a real pain when progs you download come with administrator permissions only.  (This can get pretty complicated, so if you do think this might be a permissions problem do read up about the subject first - don't have a good link off hand, sorry.)

On the other hand you might just have a stubborn service like I did with the mail scanner.  If you right click on MyComputer and open the managment console and then services, you will see which are started and which not.
You may simply get to click the start the service link, and be away if you are lucky, but I had to do quite a bit of tinkering with permissions and ownership before this finally worked for me - and I'm afaid I didn't make notes...

Mind you there may be a much simpler alternative:

Before I managed to get mine working I put a question on the microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general newsgroup, and found that the Microsoft Security Essentials is now free too, so you might like to read what the group said.  Start from the bottom as they seem to top post there - there are some links to comparisons of the various free alternatives - as the MS version updates through the normal ms updates there should be less time wasted going to two different sites every time you turn on:

"MSE doesn't include an email scanner so there's no confusion about whether to enable or disable it (On OE there is a general opinion that mail scanners are not necessary).  MSE auto-updates at least once every 24 hours via the Automatic Updates "tunnel."

As for MSE vs Avira AntiVir Free, see

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=43119

What is the Best Free Antivirus Software? AVG or Avast! or AntiVir? (by MVP
Donna Buenaventura)

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/34746.aspx

spamlet wrote:
> People here used to recommend avast or avg for free av.
>
> Now asking an MS MVP I suppose is not the most reliable way of getting an unbiased answer, but is MS Security Essentials going to be so much better than avast that it is worth me replacing it after I've only just succeeded in getting it going properly?
>
> One thing that strikes me might be an advantage is that if the MS av updates came as part of the normal MS updates, things might be quicker than the two - or more - separate downloads we have to wait for each time we boot up.
>
> Cheers,
> S
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:u53Qrg70KHA.5828@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Can't seem to find a straight answer on the avast forum
>>
>> You get what you (don't) pay for.
>>
>> Tip: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx
>>
>>
>> spamlet wrote:
>>> I know PA, but that little exclamation mark was bugging me!
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>>> Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email (in the first
>>>> place)
>>>> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm
>>>>
>>>> spamlet wrote:
>>>>> Can't seem to find a straight answer on the avast forum, so can anyone
>>>>> here explain why the most recent version of avast free, only seems to have
>>>>> a mail scanner that works with Outlook?  When I don't have Outlook on, the
>>>>> option to turn on mail scanning remains unresponsive.  As it happens I did not
>>>>> use email scanning with my OE in the last version, but in this one there is a
>>>>> permanent exclamation mark over the system tray icon 'warning me' that this thing I can't turn on, isn't turned on. "
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:25:34 PM by Spamlet »