Author Topic: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?  (Read 131927 times)

bong2x

Re: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
i have peak ratings what is that mean?
its coming back this morning.

Cako

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
I'm afraid I failed to reproduce your problem... even after about 20 hours DPC Latency Checker doesn't show any peek.
It seems this problem occurs only in XP, so maybe this is the reason I failed... I use Vista :P
I also run uTorrent in XP compatibility mode but no effect. Only I noticed is a bit increase of sound chattering when a load has been added to my PC.

What happening in your P2P shield... got me stumped.  :-\

Again I hope your problem will be solved. Best wishes

this sound chattering is what I have on my PC when the DPC latency is too high.
Your pick was not red, but it was enough for you see what happens on my pc with my sound (sound chattering).
I think many people have the same problem and do not realize.
I'll keep trying and insisting on a solution.
you are the best. :D
thank you for testing and your dedication.

Cako

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »
i have peak ratings what is that mean?
its coming back this morning.

this is just the beginning my friend, after many hours it gets worse.
My PC is turned on, 6 days a week 24 hours a day, so I see the problem as DPC latency more easier.
are you having problems with sound ?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:30:56 PM by Cako »

Romberry

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 03:39:27 PM »
Well I decided to download this as a bit of general analysis of my XP Pro SP3 system.

Now I'm just browsing the internet posting on the forums, etc. and it reports "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio, etc.... without drop-outs," which is patently ridiculous as I'm on dial-up.

So this latency checker has some limitations itself, as it doesn't seem to consider connection speed (or be able to calculate it).

I don't think you have a firm grasp on what DPC latency is. It has absolutely nothing to do with internet connection bandwidth. DPC latency is a measurement of delays (latency) that occur within the computer system in something called "Deferred Procedure Calls." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Procedure_Call for more info, and also see the MSDN definition at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms789534.aspx

The message from DPC checker telling you "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio, etc.... without drop-outs" is not saying that your connection to the next can handle/support these things, it's saying that your computer hardware itself can handle/support these things. See the difference?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:54:42 PM by Romberry »

bong2x

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 03:46:02 PM »
 :D i run it while im playing internet radio for 1 hour only :D

but you know try also to figure out what the problem in your system and if you got it you may share here with everybody. playing sound its ok low noise :D

Best Regards!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »
<snip>
I don't think you have a firm grasp on what DPC latency is. It has absolutely nothing to do with internet connection bandwidth. DPC latency is a measurement of delays (latency) that occur within the computer system in something called "Deferred Procedure Calls."<snip>

The message from DPC checker telling you "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio, etc.... without drop-outs" is not saying that your connection to the next can handle/support these things, it's saying that your computer hardware itself can handle/support these things. See the difference?

My grasp of it is sufficient, what I left out was the tongue in cheek smiley from my post.

The point I was too subtly trying to make is, that any DPC Latency measurement and the ability to download, play media, multi-task, etc. is dependant on more that the reporting of one set of figures. There are obviously other factors going on in the OPs system causing this drag in DPC latency. Something that many people have been banging on about for some considerable time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2010, 08:16:27 PM »
The OP appears want a Avast version that works in his computer 100% without problems. He dont understand that there are not perfect programs. How are you sure that the latency problem is caused by Avast and not for other program or driver? Stop whining and re-check your problem before blame avast.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Cako

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 09:29:43 PM »
The OP appears want a Avast version that works in his computer 100% without problems. He dont understand that there are not perfect programs. How are you sure that the latency problem is caused by Avast and not for other program or driver? Stop whining and re-check your problem before blame avast.

hi, I do not agree,Avast was working 100% on my PC.
since version 418 does not work 100%.
I dont want anything perfect, but if you had this problem, you would be very upset too.
I did the possible.
I can only point the problem now, fix is much more difficult.
see the first two photos of the topic, you will see the difference between the avast (P2P shield) on and off.

this problem has nothing to do with the Internet, is a problem with drivers...

Antarctica

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »

I dont want anything perfect, but if you had this problem, you would be very upset too.
I did the possible.
see the first two photos of the topic, you will see the difference between the avast (P2P shield) on and off.

Cako, I don't understand you... Why do you insist of running Avast on your computer? See myself it was Avira that would not run nicely on my box, and you agree that Avira is not a bad AV either, right? Now since I did install Avast Internet Security, all my problems are gone. There are thousand of different PC with different configurations, it's almost impossible that a certain AV will work perfectly with every configuration! Just pick up another AV on I am sure your problems will be gone. ;)
Good luck!

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »

I did the possible.

They are not problems. Also lot members gave you alternatives to solve YOUR complaints. These situations with Avast bothers you, then change the AV or live with it. The live is NOT perfect. That some users maybe 1 or 2, comparable with millions of Avast users, had YOUR complaints, doesnt mean that is a Avast problem.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

faust

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »
Great; another thread that has been ruined by fanboys who don't understand the concept of bug reporting.

If only fanboys could be moved to the virus vault, this forum might actually be useful again.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
Sorry but you're not right in this case, faust.

I spent a great deal of time trying to simulate the problem and/or find an issue in the avast driver sources that could lead to this scenario (e.g. holding spinlocks for too long etc). And I'm pretty confident that the problem is not related to avast in this case.

As you can easily check, cako is spending a lot of time complaining about this issue here (pretty much all of his ~100 posts so far are related to this). But the problem is, the measurements are inconsistent. Also, it simply doesn't make sense that 5.0.462 would have this problem while the previous versions not have it as there were no meaningful changes that could make any difference. DPC Latencies are difficult to debug, and you usually need to understand what's really going on under the hood to be able to understand the problem.

Now on a side note, we've just found that the paid version of Malwarebytes (namely its "IP Protection" component) is a real DPC Latency master though (we see *huge* latencies when doing e.g. speed tests with IP Protection enabled). And for some reason, it gets ever worse when avast is installed (I suppose that's because with avast's WebShield in place, the connections are doubles [as WebShield acts as a HTTP proxy]).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:57:39 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 12:01:51 PM »
Vlk,so you suggest to run MBAM resident with out IP Protection with Avast 5 Free, to reduce DPC latency......is that correct?

Regards!

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
Well see for yourself, I wrote a bit more about it here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56694.msg486878#msg486878
If this is happening even on your system (it will depend on your connection speed - here I have a ~60 mbit connection so pretty fast) you should get in touch with MBAM and report the issue to them.

It should be relatively easy to fix on their side, I assume they're doing lookups to the banned IP list on DPC level (e.g. while holding a spinlock) while this is not really needed.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2010, 01:19:51 PM »
Two local proxy problem... if so, it is possible that this causes my sound chattering (only sometimes, indeed), because I use another local proxy (Proxomitron).
My sound chattering is always on my PC (long running worsens this), and avast! and Proxomitron is always together too... I thought chattering is because my PC's power shortage, but it seems this is the reason.

Now DPC Latency Checker shows exactly same graph compared to before my post, and this time is only 1 hours after reboot (with no P2P application).
Cako, are you using other local proxy software? If so, it can cause your problem too.

Anyway, I like avast very much. Thanks Vlk for your great work!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:25:07 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。