Author Topic: problem to start the resident protection  (Read 3335 times)

beb

problem to start the resident protection
« on: July 15, 2004, 02:24:56 PM »
Hello,
i'm french so sorry for my english.
I have 2 pc on witch i have instaled avast.The first is on Win NT4 sp4 and outlook express and works fine the resident protection works well.
The second is on Win NT4 sp6 and incredimail .Avast scan works but i can't start the resident protection and i haven't mail protection.Ihave a message "Avast:the subsystem AAVM detected an error RPC.L'operation could not be carry out".
I show the service management and i see that:
(service)"avast! antivirus   (etat)"nothing" (start) "automatic"
(service)"avast!iASV4 controle service  (etat)"nothing" (start) "automatic"

for these sevices i can't have the strat status

how can i do to have the correct config
Thanks for your help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:problem to start the resident protection
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 04:01:25 PM »
RPC error (Remote Procedure Call) can be solved 'repairing' your avast installation. Run the setup program again or use the Control Panel (Add/Remove programs).

Do you have (or had) any other antivirus installed in your computer?
The best things in life are free.

beb

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 05:22:23 PM »
i haven't another anti virus

beb

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 05:25:40 PM »
i have repairing avast but i can't have the resident protection

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 10:16:19 PM »
Maybe it will be better uninistall / boot / install / boot (or, in other words, make a clean installation). Let us know if this help  ::)

cjtc

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 12:20:26 AM »
I've just started to have the same problem. It coincided with my loading DesktopX on my pc to do some cool skinning. Disable DesktopX at boot time Avast! loads OK. Enable DesktopX at boot time, Avast! won't load its resident protection and gives this RPC error.

However, if I load DesktopX later (not during boot), everything is OK with Avast!!!!

So, I finally installed the much-publicised "Startup Delayer" program to force DesktopX to load much later in the boot sequence. Problem solved! I've further configured it to give an orderly boot sequence of most of my autostarts so that they're not all piling in at once.

http://www.r2.com.au/downloads/files/startdelay_v2.1b10.exe

It's great!

wagonman76

Re: problem to start the resident protection
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 01:44:47 AM »
I know this is an old topic, but this helped me fix my problem, so I thought Id post for the record.  I also have NT4 and was getting that same message and no resident protection.  Turned out I had just installed a video driver by Trident, then a sound driver, but it didnt show up till the sound driver was installed.  Turning off the sound driver didnt help, so I turned it back on.  Then I turned off the service called triserv.exe and avast worked.  Having it off makes no difference in my display, so I just leave it off (see below).

I tried the startup delay program, and it installed but then gave errors when I fired it up.  The I uninstalled it, and it screwed up my smartmedia card reader software so I had to reinstall that.  Going to the website, I see it is not for NT4.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: problem to start the resident protection
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 01:52:05 AM »
So I thought Id post for the record.
Welcome... it's always good to share experiences.
Feel free to ask any question about avast you may want.

I tried the startup delay program, and it installed but then gave errors when I fired it up.  The I uninstalled it, and it screwed up my smartmedia card reader software so I had to reinstall that.  Going to the website, I see it is not for NT4.
Strange... startup delayer never gave me any trouble, what exactly happened with it? Maybe it just doesn't suit for NT4.