Author Topic: Prefetch folder  (Read 13297 times)

pmal67

Prefetch folder
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »
Sorry everyone the Irish computer disaster here again . I updated my laptop to sp3 os xp pro .
I'm running tine up utilities and I got a message saying ' the files in the prefetch folder were recently deleted ' . I swear that for once I didn't do anything , well I think so .

As usual any suggestions

Thanks in advance

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Prefetch folder
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
The prefetch folder contains information on programs that are run on your system to basically try to speed their loading, such as the start location of where the program file is on the hard disk.

The tune up utilities is clearing this folder and it will recreate the entries again as you run programs again. It isn't really an issue as there may well be old entries in there and clearing it out now and again isn't really a problem.

However, you should exercise care in using these tuneup/tweaking style programs as it is easy to go to far, some people tweak their systems to within an inch of their lives. The only way they find that level is to kill it and back off an inch, not ideal. Personally I have never used these so called tune up utilities as for most people they will find any difference is minimal.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pmal67

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »
Thanks DavidR for the reply but my computer has slowed down dramatically should I try to restore the Prefetch files .

paul

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
The prefetch folder will eventually clean itself and shouldn't be messed with.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=743

Windows will rebuild the files in the prefetch folder as you use programs.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:34:27 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
Thanks DavidR for the reply but my computer has slowed down dramatically should I try to restore the Prefetch files .

paul

You can't physically restore the files, they have to be regenerated and that will take a few boots and opening the commonly used programs before you see your system back as it was.

So now you know one of the pitfalls of tuning your system, you went an inch too far. So I would suggest that you disable that option in tune up utilities.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ManyQs

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »
I agree about not messing with the prefetch folder unless extreme measures are needed to solve a problem, and then it's best to consult a pro to be sure you are doing the right thing.

But there is one thing about that slowdown right after a prefetch folder is emptied. It's normal for a short bit until the prefetch folder builds itself back up. I wouldn't sweat that too much.

And for any Vista or Windows7 users that may read this, the actions of the prefetch folder was significantly upgraded in those operating systems and one upgrade is that the prefetch folder cleans itself. I may be wrong, but I don't think XP SP3 yet had that feature. Still, post-XP prefetch should be dealt with a different mindset than pre-Vista style thinking.

Does that last sentence make sense. I NEED MY COFFEE! My post-young-man prefetch folder needs populating every morning.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:01:28 PM by ManyQs »

ManyQs

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »
Wow, DavidR, you really do type faster than I.

By the way, your point there reminds me of an expression from a WWII battle.

So now you know one of the pitfalls of tuning your system, you went an inch too far. So I would suggest that you disable that option in tune up utilities.

"A Boot Too Far" showing at An Avast theater near you.

pmal67

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
thanks guys for the help but my question is how did they get deleted in the first place and DavidR when you say after a few boots what exactly do you mean

paul

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
You're welcome.

How did they get deleted 'tune up utilities' though it was a good idea is my guess.

The prefetch process may take three windows boots to recreate the contents of the prefetch folder, that same for other programs that you run after windows boots, that will also recreate their entries in the prefetch folder. All of the above takes time but it shouldn't be long before the prefetch folder is recreated/repopulated.

pmal67

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
ok many thanks again DavidR for your time I get the impression that you are not a big fan of tune up utilities ???

paul

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »
yeah no sweat with this, as said they will be regenerated while using the programs and rebooting a few times. As to the risk of deleting any there's exactly none ;D I use to delete manually the entire prefetch folder once in a while when I was running XP (to cleanup eventual corrupted stuff...not sure that was really useful though ;D ) and there never was any side effect :D Rebooted the system and they just got recreated progressively.

pmal67

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 10:41:09 PM »
Bon soir Logos

when you talk about 'rebooting' is that the exact same as 'restart' je ne sius pas au top avec mon ordi pardon

paul

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:42:41 PM »
Bon soir Logos

when you talk about 'rebooting' is that the exact same as 'restart' je ne sius pas au top avec mon ordi pardon

paul

ouai, ça veut dire redémarrer ;)

pmal67

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »
merçi beaucoup

a plus

paul (irlandais)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 11:20:46 PM »
ok many thanks again DavidR for your time I get the impression that you are not a big fan of tune up utilities ???

paul

You're welcome.

Not tune up utilities in particular, but that type of application as I have never found much use for them and most don't seem to make a really noticeable difference in your system performance. Many of the functions are available already in the OS you just need to know where to look and it is this that makes users buy products like this they don't know where to look.