Author Topic: c'mon NEW AD IN PAID VERSIONS????? what the heck??  (Read 70000 times)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: c'mon NEW AD IN PAID VERSIONS????? what the heck??
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
Mr steckler :)

What do think of my suggestion of implementing this in the Avast! :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60375.msg509450#msg509450

Greetz, Red.

P.S. Please can you change you user name AND status ( Admin or Mod ) , so that the forum users KNOW you are the the CEO. Just a friendly advise ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:59:26 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:40 PM »
1. This has also been borne out by the first 12 hours of calls to iYogi. They received 128 calls.  Out of the 128 calls, I count less than 10 that are actual technical issues. Half the calls were just on how to install the product. In most of these cases the user just wanted iYogi to install the product for them--they did not even try to install it themselves.  Most of the rest of the calls were just questions on how to configure the product, turn off the firewall, etc. 20% the callers took the post-service survey and just over 90% were satisfied or very satisfied with the service.

2. I realize that the people here on the forum do not need this kind of help.  But lots of our users do want this type of help. 80% of our users are computer novices or average users. Those of us here on the forum tend to be the other 20%. We have to try creative ways of supporting these other 80%.

3. Now I do absolutely agree that the banner in the program was terrible. It has been fixed.  Ondrej showed the new wireframe. The actual new screen is now complete and it will be rolled out Friday morning. Until then we have turned off the in-program banner.

4. This is still just a short term trial--we want to make sure that the users like the service and that they are not abused by the service. It is also only available in English and thus should only even be seen by users in UK, USA, Canada, and Australia.

1. 50% of the users want them to install it...?? How do they know about iYogi without installing...???
2. I guess it's rather somewhat like 95% to 5% or even lower. ;)
3. As already said in a prior post: It's much better now...!!
4. All users I support right now are German-speaking, so it won't bother them now, nevertheless if this is just a short term trial, I'll be highly interested in the outcome..!! So please keep us informed..!!!!
asyn

Edit: Removed a suggestion that already has been followed....! Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:08:19 AM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hermite15

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2010, 10:48:05 PM »
1. 50% of the users want them to install it...?? How do they know about iYogi without installing...???

excellent point Asyn ;D

tom-m

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2010, 10:53:04 PM »
In most of these cases the user just wanted iYogi to install the product for them--they did not even try to install it themselves.  

I don't use the pro version so I don't understand this bit.  If the banner is shown on the GUI, then how did the people who wanted iYogi to install it for them know to call iYogi, didn't they install it first?  Have these people bought the pro version in a box with the information printed on it, or did they all get the IYogi number off a friend?  I don't quite understand, chicken and egg thing?  

tom-m

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:35 PM »
AAhh point already made  ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »

excellent point Asyn ;D

It just caught my eye... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »

The in-product banner was just one of the ways the service was advertised.
It was also being displayed during the check out process, for example (when the user purchased the product) - and that's where the setup-related calls were probably coming from.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2010, 11:42:43 PM »
Vlk,
I still think you should move all that under the Help Center tab where it won't bother the users who don't think they need help and don't want to keep looking at the announcement.  And still should be readily accessible to those who do need help, since that is who the tab is for.

Yes, absolutely, this is still the plan (if the service proves to be useful), but this couldn't be done without a program update, so we decided to implement it as it is.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

twl845

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2010, 11:49:33 PM »
I guess after 82 posts we got our answer.  ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »

The in-product banner was just one of the ways the service was advertised.
It was also being displayed during the check out process, for example (when the user purchased the product) - and that's where the setup-related calls were probably coming from.

Probably... ;)
As the testing phase seems only to affect the english versions I neighter can confirm nor deny it.
asyn

zfactor

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2010, 01:16:53 AM »
well it depends. if i have no way of turning this garbage off ill look elsewhere. as i stated with a way to turn it off well i guess i can accept that. so we will see. this was a bad move all around imo...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2010, 01:32:16 AM »
It should be relatively easy to stop it as many have hinted, if it is imported into the avastUi, that must be connecting to achieve that, are you getting the drift ;)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2010, 04:03:36 AM »
Igor rose valid points (#42).
Vlk too. I think the new way to display the info in the GUI (#52) is much better than the original one.
But I think it could be written only the telephone support and a button. Further information could be displayed further, not static in the GUI.
The telephone support idea seems ok.
The best things in life are free.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2010, 05:56:44 AM »
 ??? ???
Not meaning to stir the pot,
but I did not see the third party sales being addressed.
If I have to call for support, the last thing I want is someone from
half way across the planet trying to SELL me a bill of goods.
Users of avast, novice or not, want support, not a used car salesman.
I guess I find this a bit distressing. Software support is NOT a new thing.
There are several working models to chose from. You should not have to
re-invent the wheel.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »
The business model is that iYogi handles calls from avast customers for free--to help them with installation, product issues, removing viruses, etc. After helping the customer, iYogi does offer to sell the customer a service contract for complete PC and home electronics support.

Please feel free to give me any feedback you have--positive and negative.  The more detailed the better.  you can leave it here on the forum or email me directly to steckler at avast.com.  Thanks much

I am adding this to the back end as a reminder of what was discussed earlier.