Author Topic: c'mon NEW AD IN PAID VERSIONS????? what the heck??  (Read 70163 times)

Gargamel360

Re: c'mon NEW AD IN PAID VERSIONS????? what the heck??
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2010, 06:18:06 AM »
Knowing it will be gone makes this not as bad.
Seems more geared toward new subscribers, getting the 30day support out the gate, but instituted across the board even to current subscribers made it more alarming.
Can't deny that this is the type of light support a huge percentage of the user base is looking for either.

3rd party help isn't always bad.........is it? ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
If I have to call for support, the last thing I want is someone from half way across the planet trying to SELL me a bill of goods. Users of avast, novice or not, want support, not a used car salesman.
+1

I guess I find this a bit distressing. Software support is NOT a new thing. There are several working models to chose from. You should not have to re-invent the wheel.
Any suggestions to address this?
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »
If I have to call for support, the last thing I want is someone from half way across the planet trying to SELL me a bill of goods. Users of avast, novice or not, want support, not a used car salesman.
+1

I guess I find this a bit distressing. Software support is NOT a new thing. There are several working models to chose from. You should not have to re-invent the wheel.
Any suggestions to address this?

a suggestion? yes >>> that Avast would have two technicians, ie Avast Technicians, constantly monitoring the forums, moderating, answering etc...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »
a suggestion? yes >>> that Avast would have two technicians, ie Avast Technicians, constantly monitoring the forums, moderating, answering etc...
This is not the point. You must read and understand the situation as posted by Vince and Vlk. The problem is how to support people that does not know how to enter into a forum to ask for help. The point is telephone support. Constructive solutions. Innovation. The forum is not the solution for this particular issue.

Hermite15

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
This is not the point. You must read and understand the situation as posted by Vince and Vlk. The problem is how to support people that does not know how to enter into a forum to ask for help. The point is telephone support. Constructive solutions. Innovation. The forum is not the solution for this particular issue.

I knew you were gonna say this but I just don't agree about reducing the issue to what happened with ticket submissions, and would rather consider the forums as the first platform of support for everyone, from noobs to advanced users, may be with new sections for basic help etc...
 As to your advice, thanks, but I read the posts ::)
 Adding: it's too easy to just let go, let the forums in the hand of just users, and have the Avast guys intervene only during beta testing phases. The third party solution offered by Avast is still another way to escape the issue. See what Microsoft finally did with Technet forums, see what Google is doing with Chrome/Gmail etc... forums...there's a lot Avast could learn from these experiences. The original software provider must be present on all fronts, period, even to address non-technical issues posted by noobs...could be also done with canned messages, a wiki, an IRC etc...and certainly not by redirecting people to a company that will do its best to sell them their crap (even if the so called "support" remains "free" beyond the 30 days trial period initially announced).
 Avast also needs to have, as I mentioned in another thread earlier, people paid to respond to requests sent through mail tickets, people paid and people with required skills, and not the girl typing letters and doing the photocopies answering the phone : "Hello, welcome to Avast!" >>> "bye, and have a nice day :) "

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
I just don't agree about reducing the issue to what happened with ticket submissions, and would rather consider the forums as the first platform of support for everyone, from noobs to advanced users, may be with new sections for basic help etc...
I'm not reducing the forum importance or miss considering it. Just that telephone support requires a solution.

let the forums in the hand of just users
It's already there... ::)

and have the Avast guys intervene only during beta testing phases.
They're here. This is already achieved. ::)

The third party solution offered by Avast is still another way to escape the issue.
The issue is telephone support. The one who is escaping from it is you not them.

See what Microsoft finally did with Technet forums, see what Google is doing with Chrome/Gmail etc... forums...there's a lot Avast could learn from these experiences. The original software provider must be present on all fronts
Did you ever get support from Microsoft? Support, really?
And Google, could you ever talk to them?
Lucky you.

Hermite15

« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2010, 03:28:38 PM »
sorry Tech but you won't achieve anything by truncating bits of my post, your whole post makes no freakin' sense, it's completely irrelevant, you're posting one of your canned answers, as usual :D

>>> "reinstall Avast! from "the" scratch" >>> would be time you edit it and remove that "the"...or pick up an English course one of these days ;D I mean you're a pretty limited guy, don't give me lessons ::) ...you just keep reacting to that thread where I reported your CTM disaster, you know, the one you forgot to mention ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:33:01 PM by Logos »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »
The forum certainly cannot be a solution for everyone, that's pretty naive; if some users are unable to install the program (I mean, download the installer and run it), they would hardly be able to register & post on the forum.

Hermite15

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2010, 03:38:22 PM »
The forum certainly cannot be a solution for everyone, that's pretty naive; if some users are unable to install the program (I mean, download the installer and run it), they would hardly be able to register & post on the forum.

what's pretty naive ??? ::) you mean those same noobs/kids etc... already using hotmail and facebook wouldn't be able to register here? you're kidding?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Logos, you always overreacts...
I'm not English native. I'll correct the post as you've suggested. I acknowledge my errors and faults.
Your criticism is not constructive. You're not pointing the solution and any constructive solution.
The telephone is not for kids with computer skills, but for mothers and grandmothers, people that aren't used to computers.

What the hell does CTM have anything related to this?

Jack 1000

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
I just found out when opening Avast UI, was gonna start a new thread, not needed obviously >>> I deeply disagree with the procedure >>> that's adware, sponsorware, whatever you wanna call it, no such thing should be present on the pro/AIS versions. Absolutely unacceptable guys.

>>> blocking Avast UI should get rid of that, no problem for the "free" version, but that's an issue on AIS as network utilities need avastUI to connect...

and here's a link to the sponsor's site:
http://www.iyogi.net/

Rated Yellow by WOT.  Web of Trust. (Caution)  Is this the image you want to present, Avast?  At least if small ads might be needed from time to time, they should at best lead to safe sites!!!!

Jack

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
No, I'm not kidding.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »
WOT is the last trustable source I would add to my computer...
It's silly or worse, it's stupid, because it misses infected sites and block other ones.
Users' opinions couldn't rule the security world. It's a place for technicals.

sded

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
The Opera fraud/malware protection thinks the iyogi site is fine.

Hermite15

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2010, 04:02:36 PM »
No, I'm not kidding.

doesn't really matter...