Author Topic: Script Blocking has stopped scanning  (Read 9674 times)

justchecking

Script Blocking has stopped scanning
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
version 4.8

Just redownloaded McAfee Firewall, and now script blocking doesn't work.

Hermite15

Re: Script Blocking has stopped scanning
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »
1 upgrade to Avast 5
2 the scriptshield is practically useless anyway, I removed it. Keep it if you browse with IE, otherwise ditch it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:08 PM »
Don't know much about McAfee FW, but if it brings troubles drop it.
There are other free firewalls that work well together with avast...!
Btw, the latest build of avast is 5.0.545, maybe you want to update... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

justchecking

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »
Just bought/renew McAfee, been running the 2 combos for over year and half.

Have pro version.  Why would I want to upgrade?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
Just bought/renew McAfee, been running the 2 combos for over year and half.
Have pro version.  Why would I want to upgrade?

You are in avast forum...!! ;) ::)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

justchecking

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »

You are in avast forum...!! ;) ::)
asyn

Yes, I know that.  But if its not working now, how do I know it will work later? (I.E. after I upgrade).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »
Yes, I know that.  But if its not working now, how do I know it will work later? (I.E. after I upgrade).

Ok, sorry then, my mistake..! ;)
About your update question...
Most of us are already using the 5.x version. Support/Updates for 4.8 will be ended late 2010.
Also 5.x is faster and much better..! But again, I can't say much about the McAfee Firewall tough. (Even can't remember any discussion related to it.)
asyn

justchecking

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »
Do I need to uninstall 4.8 before installing 5.0?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »
Do I need to uninstall 4.8 before installing 5.0?
Yes. The setup of version 5 will do it automatically.
The best things in life are free.

justchecking

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »
What parts of Pro for 5 need to go through firewall?

I've got a pretty clean system, use firefox with noscript, etc.  Not a dummy  ;D

I payed 9.99 for Norton Internet Security (because I was Comcast Customer), and I just wanted the firewall because it works well with all my programs on the standard setting, and had been working well with Avast 4.8.  I also updated the iavs today.  Will probably go with it again, but are there instructions on how to set up Pro with another firewall?   And will the script blocker work again?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
Needs access avast??.setup file (a temporary one used to update).
avastSvc.exe also needs access.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »
1. I've got a pretty clean system, use firefox with noscript, etc.  Not a dummy  ;D
2. I payed 9.99 for Norton Internet Security (because I was Comcast Customer), and I just wanted the firewall because it works well with all my programs on the standard setting, and had been working well with Avast 4.8.

1. Good, so we can speak a more technical language, I guess..! ;)
2. Nevertheless, I'm quite confused now... So are you using Norton or McAfee Firewall or else..??
asyn

justchecking

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »
1. I've got a pretty clean system, use firefox with noscript, etc.  Not a dummy  ;D
2. I payed 9.99 for Norton Internet Security (because I was Comcast Customer), and I just wanted the firewall because it works well with all my programs on the standard setting, and had been working well with Avast 4.8.

1. Good, so we can speak a more technical language, I guess..! ;)
2. Nevertheless, I'm quite confused now... So are you using Norton or McAfee Firewall or else..??
asyn

Also tired and want to go to bed.  Mcafee Internet Security (I believe).  So I can download all that crud if I wanted to, but I don't.

I don't have, and never had, any avast??.setup files.  I've only allowed Avast.setup through, everything works fine.  I don't have AvastSVC.exe, I have ashSve.exe.

I would prefer it worked like it did before, otherwise, would need to go with free version.  Want to know if SOMEONE knows (since I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Firewall - McAfee only, a few times - and this has never happened before) - WHY the Script blocking stopped working?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 03:32:33 PM »
1. Also tired and want to go to bed.  Mcafee Internet Security (I believe).  So I can download all that crud if I wanted to, but I don't.
2. I don't have, and never had, any avast??.setup files.  I've only allowed Avast.setup through, everything works fine.  I don't have AvastSVC.exe, I have ashSve.exe.
3. I would prefer it worked like it did before, otherwise, would need to go with free version.  Want to know if SOMEONE knows (since I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Firewall - McAfee only, a few times - and this has never happened before) - WHY the Script blocking stopped working?

1. If you are tired, maybe better go to sleep and we'll work this out tomorrow..! As believing doesn't really help us to solve your problem, you better be sure what you're using..! ;)
2. That's because you didn't update your avast..!
3. Once again, if this really is a McAfee FW, I don't know much about it. So, if problems occured after updating the McAfee firewall, it would be probably worth going to their forum to work this out...!?
asyn

justchecking

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
I did update the virus definitions last night too (I do manual, and know how to change the service in services, it has always been that way).  It was IAVS update only.

So, 2 things involved.  Not just McAfee (I thinkd it stopped working after the IAVS update).