Author Topic: Want to download Avast 5 free - Guide me softly.  (Read 2595 times)

ckiwi

Want to download Avast 5 free - Guide me softly.
« on: June 30, 2010, 01:48:22 AM »
I have a Windows Vista Business, Service Pack 2. I currently have Avast! 4.8 Home Edition-free. I have done some reading in the forums and have already download the aswclear5 and setup_av_free to my desktop. I was looking through Avast 4 folder and came across, uiAux2, 06/04/2010, saying my license has expired and am not fully protected. I have not received any notice to this. I have been doing scans, and things are ok, nothing infected.

I have read, after unistalling Avast 4, along with other steps ,to reboot? Would this be "restart" computer.
I have windows firewall, do I leave this alone or will I have to "allow?" Avast through? I start getting nervous when there is so many steps that need to be taken.
I read about "Maintenance tab" where the heck is that? lol

I go to Control panel, uninstall Avast 4.8. Reboot.
Then I run the aswclear5. Reboot.
Run the setup_av_free. Reboot.
And all is ok. lol finished.
I also read, I will get an e-mail with new free license key and then register it.? Where, can"t remember that one. Could check the forums again as how to do this.
If my firewall blocks this, I go to Firewall settings and under, Off (not recommended) and check the box. And if so, will I have to uninstall Avast5 and then re install it?

Computers scare me. If I have to turn off the firewall, it says the computer is vulnerable to hackers or malicios software.

I would have liked to just stay with Avast 4 but read that it will no longer be available soon. I have also read about soooo many people having trouble with Avast 5. So, please be gentle to this newbie, with your instructions.

I will check back later to make sure I have the right instructions and will wait till tomorrow before I attack this, giving me the whole day to ask more questions if I get stuck.

Thank you so much in advance.

GloobyGoob

Re: Want to download Avast 5 free - Guide me softly.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 03:21:32 AM »
Hello there,

1. Yes, rebooting means restarting the computer.
2. I'm pretty sure you should allow avast in your firewall.
3. The maintenance tab (in version 5) is shown in the screen shot below.
4. In avast 5, there is an easier registration process. Just go to the maintenance tab, then click on registration, and click register now to fill out the form.

Also, don't worry ;), the majority of avast 5 users run without any problems. Remember that 100 million people use avast and there aren't 100 million posting problems in these forums.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:23:08 AM by GloobyGoob »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:27:39 AM »
To register your avast 5 installation, click on Maintenance, than Registration for online registering.

1) Open Avast.
2) Click on "Maintenance" then "Registration".
3) Fill out the form for your license key and click "Submit".

When the time is about to expire you will receive a popup notice to register it again.
Note that you will also need to do steps above if you ever need to reinstall the program.

Which is your firewall?
The best things in life are free.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:34:27 AM »
Which is your firewall?

In the first post, ckiwi mentioned having Windows Firewall.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:51:25 AM »
Which is your firewall?

In the first post, ckiwi mentioned having Windows Firewall.
Sorry. Missed.
So, it won't ask for avast to connect as it does not offer outbound protection (without tweaking).
The best things in life are free.