Author Topic: Avast UI wont start, no prior changes  (Read 23076 times)

tavikas

Avast UI wont start, no prior changes
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:20:48 PM »
hi,

when I turned on my computer today, I found that the system loaded faster than earlier.
Shortly after boot there were process called AvastSetup.exe, which dissappeared soon. Now there are only AvastSvc.exe process running from Alwil. (there were more processes the day earlier). Also there are no system tray icon available.

I then tried to open Avast UI manually and ended up with this message: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application mayfix this problem."
Although, when I open Windows Security Center I can read: "avast! Antivirus reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on."

There has been no changes in system or avast setup within last few weeks, however it is saying that application configuration is wrong. And it worked correctly yesterday. Who reconfigured the application then?

I decided to try Avast uninstaller's options.
First Update: seems I already had latest version of everything. No change.
then Repair: repairing lasted about 5 minutes and I even saw a progress-bar, however after reboot there was still no change.
Windows says everything is OK, but loading is faster and Avast UI wont start.

My main question is am I still protected or not?
additionally I would be happy to access UI again too

System: Windows XP Home SP3
Avast version: 5.0.594

thanx in advance (and sorry for possible typos, it's not my main language)

visualized proof attached!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast UI wont start, no prior changes
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »
Seems a clean install would be a good idea...!
1. Run this in safe mode. http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
2. Reinstall avast. http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Problem solved..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

tavikas

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
did as suggested

1. downloaded the tool
2. restarted in safe mode
3. ran the tool
4. restarted to normal
5. installed avast again
6. restarted

result:
- UI not available
- only avast related service running: AvastSvc
+ Windows is alerting about newest version being out-of-date

HELP highly appreciated

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »
did as suggested

result:
- UI not available
- only avast related service running: AvastSvc
+ Windows is alerting about newest version being out-of-date

HELP highly appreciated

1. Run a boot time scan with avast.
2. Download and run free Mbam. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
3. Report your results.
4. Which other security related software is installed on your machine..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

tavikas

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »
1. Run a boot time scan with avast.
2. Download and run free Mbam. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
3. Report your results.
4. Which other security related software is installed on your machine..??
asyn

How can I order boot time scan without UI or tray icon?
Last boot time scan with Avast was about 2 weeks ago - no malware

Mbam found 8 malwares. log attached. scan screenshot attached

Other security related programs installed on PC (all been there since ages):
- Spybot Search and Destroy (spyware and malware detection tool)
- HijackThis 1.99.1 (malware detection tool)
- RootKitRevealer from Sysinternals (rootkit detection tool)
- CCleaner from Piriform (i.e. registry scan)
- Windows Firewall (temporarily activated)
- before first installation of Avast may 2009 there were F-Secure antivirus installed. (do not remember the version). That was uninstalled prior first avast installation.

I would also like to comment that in my PC there have been a program called Mirar for about a year already. Several security related programs were able to detect it as suspicious but none are able to make any action against it, including Avast. tho, I can't see any suspicious processes running on my PC. (when trying to remove from "add/remove programs" it tries to install uninstaller which does not uninstall old program but adds more. Those uninstaller products are however easily removed/defused)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:39:30 PM by tavikas »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:37:55 PM »
- The avast5 tray icon is a part of the avastUI.exe process and there should be a startup entry for C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe

First try a reboot if no change - Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.

Check the option in the Appearance tab of avast!5 Settings, Basic section.
What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Ensure that any of these doesn't block the AvastUI.exe startup entry, Spybot is getting to be a real pain in the rear as there are many such conflicts relating to this in the forums. There are better anti-spy/malware applications that don't seen to have this issue, MBAM being one.
You could create your own startup shortcut in the startup folder (though not advised yet as we wouldn't be able to find the cause):
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Start Menu\Programs\Startup for C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe /nogui (I believe the switch, /nogui just means don't open the GUI).

####
The MBAM log detections appear to be good - Run MBAM again and this time when the scan is complete, all detections should have a check mark in the box to the left of the entry, leave them selected (or select if not selected). At the bottom of the window there is a button, Remove Selected, click that and the items will be removed.

Though I don't think that is what is blocking the avast icon.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:40:20 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tavikas

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »
after I removed avast in safe mode and reinstalled from blank page the problems are still there.
All threads found by mbam has been quarantined.
After restart mbam did not find any threads.

I have rebooted several times and there are no change. Either does not help trying to repair new installation.

Check the option in the Appearance tab of avast!5 Settings, Basic section.
What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

How do I check anything if the program is not accessible? AvastUI.exe is located at C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe but if I run it I get error shown in first post. the problem is still there and I can't open UI to check Appearance tab in Basic section.
All security based programs are listed in my last post. I do have Spybot installed, but I last ran it about a week ago. Avast first failed today. there were no problems between them before. How can they be in conflict so suddenly?
Are you suggesting me to uninstall Spybot?
EDIT: I checked that I have Spybot installed without TeaTimer (system change trace) function. So it is limited version I have.

I also created startup shortcut for AvastUI.exe (with /nogui) - it resulted with error message while system booted (This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.")
DO note that I already re-installed Avast today.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:06:58 PM by tavikas »

tavikas

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »
If I am correct the executable for boot time scan is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\sched.exe
Am I correct?

When I clicked this file icon the screen flashed for a moment and nothing else happened.
Followed reboot was without no scan.

How can I run boot-time scan with no access to UI or system tray?

There are no errors during installation or during first reboot after installation. It just wont start.
Not automatically, not manually.

tavikas

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:38:12 PM »
here is spybot scan results made after mbam said no malware. Spybot found 16 entries...
different programs give different results, but I'd still prefere to get Avast fully working again.

Anyways, have to go. Be back tomorrow

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 07:07:22 AM »
You should be able to open the Avast GUI by also going to Start > All Programs > Avast Antivirus (click on it and the GUI should open up) even if it is not in the bottom tool bar.  Does this work?

Do to a Boot-time scan, once the GUI is open > Scan Computer > Boot-time Scan > Schedule Now > Restart.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
Are you suggesting me to uninstall Spybot?

Yes..!!
asyn

tavikas

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »
either I go to 'C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe' or 'Start > All Programs > avast! Free Antivirus > avast! Free Antivirus' the result is same. Also the start menu shortcut is linked to executable in program files folder. I believe I have said it already.

going to remove Spybot.
And after that repair option from uninstaller or another clean install?

tavikas

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 10:28:36 AM »
okay, removed spybot and after reboot I ran CCleaner registry scan.
There were several spybot entries and 1 from Alwil:
Missing MUI shortcut
location C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\setup\avast.setup
registry key HCKU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
tho, the avast.setup process is running from time to time

What readings should I have from that?

Anyway, another reboot after cleaning registry from spybot:
UI - not starting
repair
no change

there are no trace of spybot in system anymore, but UI wont still start.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »
there are no trace of spybot in system anymore, but UI wont still start.

Follow steps in reply#1 again.
Solved now..??
asyn

tavikas

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »
Follow steps in reply#1 again.
Solved now..??
asyn

started safe mode of Windows XP and ran uninstaller. no errors shown. Restart required by uninstaller
restarted in normal mode and reinstalled latest version of Avast. No difference compared to my first post.

Then I found CD I made last summer where I had Avast 4.8 installer. I thougt why not try older version of program.
rebooted safe mode again and removed avast. Booted again and installed Avast! 4.8...
When I checked 'Add or Remove Programs' -> 'Change or Remove Programs' -> 'Avast! free Antivirus' and clicked update tab without clicking check for updates button, this is information I see:
Current version:
- Program: 5.0.594
- vps: 100809-1
- setup: 5.0.594

Latest version available:
- Program: 5.0.594
- vps: 100809-1
- setup: 5.0.594
Publishing date: Aug 09, 2010

BUT
Windows security center alerts Avast being out of date (yes, I used 4.8 installer, but why uninstaller says it is 5.0.594?)

Seems I can't use it and I can't loose it. weird

I have been pleased to be user of Avast for over a year, but currently unable fix problem that came over night.

Are there any additional data that I could provide to you about my system that could help solve the problem?