Author Topic: Avast 5.0 Internet Security blocking local wireless network printer  (Read 4371 times)

Arizona Willie

Before installing Avast my home wireless network worked fine. My owner could use the laptop from the living room and access the net and send stuff to the printer which is wired to the router.

Since installing Avast she can still access the internet and get email etc. no problem.

But, she can't print anything from the laptop.
It just says there was an error communicating with the printer.

The printer works fine from this desktop.

Pre-Avast everything was working.
Installing Avast was the only change made ( well removed AVG too of course ).

What can I do to fix this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5.0 Internet Security blocking local wireless network printer
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »
Sounds a little like a conflict - Ensure all remnants of AVG are gone.

- AVG8.x (or higher) Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arizona Willie

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »
Thanks for the link. That worked. I ran that on both the laptop and desktop and it cleared up.

One mystery though is that it now say the printer was removed but when I look in control panel for printers the printer is there and marked as default.
But there is also a printer icon marked ( copy 1 ) and I selected that and then things took off working. So now I made the copy the default and all is well.

The mystery is what happened to the default printer that the system thinks it was removed even though the icon is there and marked for default printer ( or was ).

Computers --- you gotta love em.

Anyway, problem solved. Printer working.

=====================
Sounds a little like a conflict - Ensure all remnants of AVG are gone.

- AVG8.x (or higher) Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »
You're welcome.

Some AVs get their hooks into everything and fail to remove them all completely.

It may be that the printer setting were changed and the copy 1 version retained of the original settings before any change.

Why this would be done is beyond me, the main thing is that things are now working as they should be,
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security