Author Topic: How do I exclude a file/folder as an FP so it doesn't show up and report it?  (Read 9315 times)

Offline cheater87

My friend keeps having one and shes getting annoyed with it popping up while scanning.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Gargamel360

Are you sure this is a f.p.?
Have you checked it here?>>http://www.virustotal.com/

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Soofly gets struck again?

What's the file name and path?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Treating the problem rather than the symptom is the way to go here. First confirm the FP or Detection using VT as mentioned. If confirmed as an FP send the sample to avast for analysis (exclude if you accept the risk) and the detection is likely to be corrected (quickly). This helps all avast users.

You don't say what version of avast your friend is using 4.8 or 5.0 ?

If 5.0:
Check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\*
That will stop the File System Shield scanning any file you put in that folder.

If only GData and avast detect it - GData uses avast as one of its two scanners so counts as 1 detection and almost certainly an FP.
Send the sample to avast as a False Positive:
Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update.

- In the meantime (if you accept the risk), add it to the exclusions lists (see note below):
File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add and
avast Settings, Exclusions

Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the File System Shield and avast Settings, exclusions lists.

Note: don't exclude the folder this file is in but exclude the file (or it leaves too big a hole in security, copy and paste the full path to the file into the exclusions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cheater87

How would we exclude just the file if we have trouble finding it? Can you please post screen shots or an easy way to do it?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:56:06 PM by cheater87 »
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

sooflymami

This file C://hp/bin/Killlt.exe keeps detecting everytime I scan on avast. Is this a FP?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:01:15 PM by sooflymami »

Tgell

This file C://hp/bin/Killlt.exe keeps detecting everytime I scan on avast. Is this a FP?

Probably a FP. By the way, you probably should have started a new thread instead of posting under this thread.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/Killit-exe/td-p/246320

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/562136-killit-exe-found-panda-active.html

Gargamel360

Is it classified as a PUP when it is detected?

sooflymami

Is it classified as a PUP when it is detected?
I don't know if it's classified as PUP or not. How do I check if it is?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
What was the malware name given in the detection.

Did you enable scanning for PUPs in your scan ?
If so that is a likely consequence, as the purpose of the file could be used for good or evil.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sooflymami

Re: How do I exclude a file/folder as an FP so it doesn't show up and report it?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
What was the malware name given in the detection.

Did you enable scanning for PUPs in your scan ?
If so that is a likely consequence, as the purpose of the file could be used for good or evil.
I only saw the file name saying infection. Where do I go in order to have the PUPs turned off in my scan?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:00:16 AM by sooflymami »

Offline cheater87

Re: How do I exclude a file/folder as an FP so it doesn't show up and report it?
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 12:04:46 AM »
Is it better to have PUP on or off? I'm going to install Avast tomorrow to help her with it. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 12:17:03 AM »
The default setting is unchecked, so personally I would suggest leaving the settings at their default settings until more familiar with the program (they provide a good balance between protection and performance). And even then don't go changing any setting they you don't fully understand.

Don't forget for the most part these on-demand scans are going to be scanning inert/dormant files, should they be active the resident on-access scanner would scan it.

Offline cheater87

Seems that only folders and not files within them can be excluded.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Seems that only folders and not files within them can be excluded.
For sure not. We can exclude folders as well as single (or multiply) files.
The best things in life are free.