Author Topic: New *release* build of avast now available (5.0.677)  (Read 132889 times)

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
Re: New *release* build of avast now available (5.0.677)
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2010, 04:31:40 PM »
David,

I tried both GUI manual update, and try to download with download manager the stand alone installer/setup file after failed with GUI. I tried using Orbit Downloader, some browsers' default download manager (including Opera, Forefox and Chrome), the last I am trying DownloadThemAll (Firefox extension), but all the setup file download stopped at 99%.

I am using dial-up connection with average download speed about 10-15 kbps, so it took about an hour to download avast setup file (theoretically). The download process started normally, I download a lot of files and updates for my other softwares without problem. But after reaching the last percent, the speed drop to zero, I don't know what happening, I don't thing my connection go down, since I can browse website or download other file - just as fine as how it should be - like opening this forum page.

Orbit Downloader, shows the cycle of trying to create new download link and closed download link endlessly (seems just like that), and DonwloadThemAll don't show anything but a zero download speed. And if I tried to pause and resume again, the same pattern started again and again for the last percent. I have been trying those methods again few times a day to see (and pray) if one of them would work - but still no luck.

Since everyone seems doesn't have any problem with the update, so I thought the problem lies within my system/computer, but I just can't guess where it is. I'll try to download on other computer, or try to find another ISP, and see if I can download the setup.

Thanks for the help anyway :)
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2010, 06:13:48 PM »
Well I'm at a loss as to what it might be as trying to download outside of avast, e.g. orbit and download them all, suffer the same fate, if it were avast it would get through on the others.

So the only thing I can thing of is the dial-up connection, but why Orbit or Download Them All can't resume I don't know, perhaps it can't reconnect to the same download681.avast.com/iavs5x server.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2010, 01:34:31 AM »
David,

I thought something like that too. I just moving to new area, maybe the dial-up connection (I use CDMA 1x network) having trouble, since I never experienced something like this before on my previous area (where I got EVDO Rev. A network).

Thank you, sorry for the trouble :D. I'll try again today, I just love avast :).
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2010, 02:14:08 AM »
You're welcome, no trouble.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pabloinla

« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2010, 03:03:57 AM »
Using build 5.0.667, I searched the board for issues related to Tray Icon Not Loading. Some recommended adding a command to the Registry. That looked too permanent and forgettable to me. It would continue no matter what updates or removal of software one might encounter if like me you forget all the long strings to find that Run location.
Instead I created a .bat file, a file that will execute a command created in Windows Notepad. Here are the recommended steps to create this simple command and get it up and running for Windows XP.
Start>Run>Notepad.
Notepad is a simple text editor. Type in or copy these two lines into Notepad:

c:\"program files"\"alwil software"\avast5\AvastUI.exe /NoGUI
exit

Save the file by naming it something like TrayIcon.bat. When you look at the save interface, it will show a box saying Text Documents (.txt)  Change this to All Files (*.*) using the drop down arrow. If you don't do this it will add .txt to the end of the name (TrayIcon.bat.txt) and will not execute.

I saved this file to the root of my C:\ drive. Easy to find.

Then add the name of this file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup by adding a new shortcut C:\TrayIcon.bat.

This file and the startup command are easy to find and edit, modify or delete.  Hope this works for you as it has for me.

Dch48

« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2010, 05:30:11 AM »
Using build 5.0.667, I searched the board for issues related to Tray Icon Not Loading. Some recommended adding a command to the Registry. That looked too permanent and forgettable to me. It would continue no matter what updates or removal of software one might encounter if like me you forget all the long strings to find that Run location.
Instead I created a .bat file, a file that will execute a command created in Windows Notepad. Here are the recommended steps to create this simple command and get it up and running for Windows XP.
Start>Run>Notepad.
Notepad is a simple text editor. Type in or copy these two lines into Notepad:

c:\"program files"\"alwil software"\avast5\AvastUI.exe /NoGUI
exit

Save the file by naming it something like TrayIcon.bat. When you look at the save interface, it will show a box saying Text Documents (.txt)  Change this to All Files (*.*) using the drop down arrow. If you don't do this it will add .txt to the end of the name (TrayIcon.bat.txt) and will not execute.

I saved this file to the root of my C:\ drive. Easy to find.

Then add the name of this file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup by adding a new shortcut C:\TrayIcon.bat.

This file and the startup command are easy to find and edit, modify or delete.  Hope this works for you as it has for me.
I haven't seen anybody say that they had a problem with the icon not showing. There already is a registry entry that runs AvastUI.exe with the NoGui switch at startup. This .bat file seems redundant.

Dvdesa

« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
Hey, I'm new in hereand i don't know where else to post so ill just say it here (and i really cant because of this lag):  After i updated to the new release, i have had some serious mouse and keyboard lag that only resets when i reboot my PC. Also my RAM usage has been bouncing in heaven and i don't even have other programs running. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:11:12 PM by Dvdesa »

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2010, 10:50:01 PM »
Welcome Dvdesa,

one tipp: it's better to hide your email-adress in your profile because of Spamers... ;)
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »
Hi all,

I just let know that I have solved my problem. I used other PC and ISP to manually download the new avast engine, and installed it on my notebook, and it works fine.

Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
@ Dvdesa,

Please start a New Topic of your own as this will just confuse the current thread and we will help you there. 

Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.  Thank you.

Bernie157

« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »
As reported in another thread, one of my computers has 5.0.377 installed and says latest program version is 5.0.418.  Clicking Update Program button goes nowhere.  Why doesn't it just say that .677 is available and let it install?  I'm sure this is covered somewhere but I can't read the whole board.

Bernie

Hermite15

« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2010, 10:14:03 PM »
As reported in another thread, one of my computers has 5.0.377 installed and says latest program version is 5.0.418.  Clicking Update Program button goes nowhere.  Why doesn't it just say that .677 is available and let it install?  I'm sure this is covered somewhere but I can't read the whole board.

Bernie

whatever the problem is, just download 5.0.677 and install it manually over your current version. No need to wait until something happens

Bernie157

« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2010, 10:50:20 PM »
I have installed 5.0.677 now and it seems to be running OK.  Thanks.

Bernie

GaAs

« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »
Hi, VLK, Hi Avast Team.
Unfortunately there is a problem.
I set avast 5.0.677 as follows:
"Real-time shields"
1) scan when opening: i add "scan all file";
2) scan when writing: i add "scan all file";
3) used "transied caching" and "do not scan system dlls";
4) sensitivity: heuristic sensitivity high, use code emulation, scan for potentially unwanted programs.

Results: When I open a folder that contains many executables, explorer takes at least 15 seconds before access to files or the scroll bar can be used.
Sometimes it generates the total freezing of explorer processes which must be forcibly closed by the task manager.
Also reducing the level of heuristics or disabling the emulation code this happens.
I noticed that the problem occurs because of an "scan all files, regardless of other settings, and seems to be concerned avastsvc.exe which absorbs more than 60% -70% of CPU resources when the problem verification.
Could you please check? Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:30:15 AM by GaAs »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »
1) scan when opening: i add "scan all file";
2) scan when writing: i add "scan all file";

No surprise your systems slows/hangs, if you have these options checked... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0