Author Topic: My avast has gone crazy!!  (Read 15239 times)

DoubleDiamond

My avast has gone crazy!!
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:20:36 PM »
My avast seems to have gone stir crazy. It has been for the past hour apparently detecting trojans and malware threats and deleting/moving hundreds of files, some of which I am sure it is not supposed to be moving! I now can't open adobe acrobat, tray applications, picture manager and a number of other programs. Reinstallation of these programs does not work - I get told there are missing files or installation is already running. I am getting repeated warning messages from these programs which will not go from my screen.
I have run Super antispyware and Spybot search and destroy and Malwarebytes anti malware with no obvious results

I am wondering if I have some sort of virus which has attached itself to avast to make it do this. I went briefly into firefox earlier ( I normally use Google Chrome) and this was when the problems started. I operate Windows XP

I tried copying the virus chest list from avast but it wont let me. The viruses it is alleging are VBS:ExeDropper.gen and Win32:Ramnit-C

Please let me know if you need any further information and advise me of how I can access this

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer

Hermite15

Re: My avast has gone crazy!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:32 PM »
can you post any log with related content to your issues? (just attach it/them to your next post, no need to copy/paste)

>>> C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log

ps: or/and screen shots of Avast alerts about infections.

Jtaylor83

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
PE_RAMNIT.A (Trend Micro)

Worm:Win32/Ramnit.A (Microsoft)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:59:40 PM by Jtaylor83 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
I have just had one of those on another forum and Dr Web did a nice job on it

Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop.
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file, then on Start and allow to run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, chose the Complete Scan.
  • Select all drives. A red dot shows which drives have been chosen.
  • Click the green arrow at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click 'Yes to all' if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look and see if you can click the following icon next to the files found:

• If so, click it and then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable as you'll see in next image:

• This will move it to the %userprofile%\DoctorWeb\quarantine-folder if it can't be cured. (this in case if we need samples)
  • After selecting, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Reboot your computer to allow files that were in use to be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web you saved previously in your next reply along with a new OTL log.
NOTE: During the scan, a pop-up window will open asking for full version purchase. Simply close the window by clicking on X in upper right corner.

DoubleDiamond

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:22:45 AM »
can you post any log with related content to your issues? (just attach it/them to your next post, no need to copy/paste)

>>> C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log

ps: or/and screen shots of Avast alerts about infections.

Hi - have tried to open this file by using *run* and it tells me the location is unavailable.I can't do a screenshot because the picture manager wont open to let me attach/post it

DoubleDiamond

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »
PE_RAMNIT.A (Trend Micro)

Worm:Win32/Ramnit.A (Microsoft)

Thank you but what do I do with this information?

DoubleDiamond

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:38:22 AM »

• Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file, then on Start and allow to run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • When the scan has finished, look and see if you can click the following icon next to the files found:

• If so, click it and then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable as you'll see in next image:

• This will move it to the %userprofile%\DoctorWeb\quarantine-folder if it can't be cured. (this in case if we need samples)
  • After selecting, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Reboot your computer to allow files that were in use to be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web you saved previously in your next reply along with a new OTL log.
NOTE: During the scan, a pop-up window will open asking for full version purchase. Simply close the window by clicking on X in upper right corner.

Thank you but the downloaded file refuses to open - it says I need an updated version of windows!! Google chrome has started telling me too that I need windows XP - ermm I have that!

rrosy

no puedo actualizar avast 5
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:47:40 AM »

POR  FAVOR  URGENTE  AYUDA, HACE SEMANAS  QUE  NO PUEDO  ACTUALIZAR  MI  AVAST ESTOY  EN  PELIGRO  Y  EN  MI  OTRA  PC  LE  PUSE  AVAST 4 PERO  ME  DICE  QUE  EL  PAQUETE  ESTA  DAÑADO,  NO  SE  QUE   PASA PORQUE???  QUE  ES  LO  QUE  IMPIDE  QUE    DESCARGUEN  LAS  ACTUALUZACIONES  SOSSSSSSSSSS
TENGO  XP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:06:59 AM »

POR  FAVOR  URGENTE  AYUDA, HACE SEMANAS  QUE  NO PUEDO  ACTUALIZAR  MI  AVAST ESTOY  EN  PELIGRO  Y  EN  MI  OTRA  PC  LE  PUSE  AVAST 4 PERO  ME  DICE  QUE  EL  PAQUETE  ESTA  DAÑADO,  NO  SE  QUE   PASA PORQUE???  QUE  ES  LO  QUE  IMPIDE  QUE    DESCARGUEN  LAS  ACTUALUZACIONES  SOSSSSSSSSSS
TENGO  XP

Por favor, inicie su nuevo tema propio, ya que esto no está relacionado con un secuestro en cuenta.
~~~~
Please start your own new topic, as this is not related an considered hijacking.

Probablemente sería mejor usar la sección española de los foros, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=25.0
Haga clic en el botón Nuevo Tema e iniciar el nuevo tema.
~~~~
It would probably be best to use the Spanish section of the forums, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=25.0
Click the New Topic button and start the new topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jtaylor83

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:34:33 AM »

• Close Dr.Web Cureit.

Thank you but the downloaded file refuses to open - it says I need an updated version of windows!! Google chrome has started telling me too that I need windows XP - ermm I have that!

Download and burn Dr. Web LiveCD using ISO Burner from a non-infected computer to a CD.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
Yep sounds good  ;D

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »
i had the same prob in the past,infected by win32 hidrag,avg went crazy it was detecting like 10 viruses PER SEC!it's really annoyin >:(
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »

DoubleDiamond

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 11:14:57 PM »

• Close Dr.Web Cureit.

Download and burn Dr. Web LiveCD using ISO Burner from a non-infected computer to a CD.

I am really sorry to be so dumb, but I am not sure how do to this. Am now on daughter's pc and have downloaded the burner but when I click on the link for Dr Web, all I get is this

Name   Size   Date Modified
[parent directory]      
LiveCD-5.0.3-en.pdf   1213 kB   03/02/2010 23:00:00
LiveCD-5.0.3-ru.pdf   1229 kB   03/02/2010 23:00:00
md5sum   59 B   20/09/2010 23:13:00
minDrWebLiveCD-5.0.3.iso   134 MB   20/09/2010 23:09:00

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes