Poll

Do you want automatic sandboxing (virtualization) to increase avast protection?

Yes. Make it available (on by default, i.e., for all users).
Yes. Make it available (off by default, i.e., for advanced users only).
No, I think the "default allow" policy (signatures, rules, etc.) is enough.
I don't understand the difference (please, post your doubts).
Other (please, post your opinion and why).

Author Topic: The future of avast protection  (Read 185786 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: The future of avast protection
« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
We can't only rely on reactive policy of signatures (even they're generic ones).
There is still one problem that's being overlooked.
The disease (virus, trojan worm etc) always comes first and it's discovery is always delayed.
The cure is even further behind and there's no way around that simple, nasty fact.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »
There is still one problem that's being overlooked.
The disease (virus, trojan worm etc) always comes first and it's discovery is always delayed.
The cure is even further behind and there's no way around that simple, nasty fact.
We don't need the disease (virus, infection) to have the cure (protection, cleaning).
For that we can think on behavior blockers, HIPS and sandboxing.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
Does anyone?
I think not...we will always be playing catch up...
Precisely. We need something more to protect us nowadays... We can't only rely on reactive policy of signatures (even they're generic ones).

Do you really think that a sandbox will protect us any better, I don't. Why, because on its own a sandbox doesn't improve detections and if something isn't detected within the sandbox, what is to say if nothing is detected and it is run outside the sandbox. Most of you want a sandbox, but then you want it to be able to have your cake and eat it too.

By allowing various things to be able to have access to the system and not remain inside the sandbox and save files, add-on updates, etc. etc. all of which weakens any point in having a sandbox in the first place.

We already have emulation which in a way is trying to emulate what the file would do and if that behaviour would be considered suspect. These areas are what I would consider to be of far more importance than sandboxing.

I just don't see sandboxing as the be all and end all in security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »
Do you really think that a sandbox will protect us any better, I don't. Why, because on its own a sandbox doesn't improve detections and if something isn't detected within the sandbox, what is to say if nothing is detected and it is run outside the sandbox. Most of you want a sandbox, but then you want it to be able to have your cake and eat it too.
On demand sandbox, ok, it will depend the user and the detection.
On access sandboxing no.

By allowing various things to be able to have access to the system and not remain inside the sandbox and save files, add-on updates, etc. etc. all of which weakens any point in having a sandbox in the first place.
Better than nothing. You can think in a balance between protection and usability of the browser in this case.

We already have emulation which in a way is trying to emulate what the file would do and if that behaviour would be considered suspect. These areas are what I would consider to be of far more importance than sandboxing.
On demand emulation. No on access.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2010, 01:50:39 AM »
Now, with Avast 6.0 (which is coming sooner than you may think), it's a different story. Avast 6.0 will feature the in-the-cloud heuristics based on the age/prevalence data (as suggested above by sded) as well as new stuff related to the use of our sandbox.
Vlk, will it be on the free version also, I mean, the cloud features of avast?

GloobyGoob

« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2010, 02:53:33 AM »
On demand emulation. No on access.

Tech, I think DavidR meant code emulation. (Not virtualization)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2010, 11:34:25 AM »
I think avast! will be able to make good cloud tech since the userbase is so big. You can get good results back if you have large user base, meaning you also get access to loads of data regarding file age and prevalence and other stats...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »
since the userbase is so big.
Another reason to build the cloud with the free version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
Avast 6.0 will feature the in-the-cloud heuristics based on the age/prevalence data
Worth a reading about false positives & age/prevalence of files/samples.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371197,00.asp

By the way, avast is an AMTSO member (Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization).
http://www.amtso.org/members.html

robinb

« Reply #264 on: October 21, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »
all i know is AVAST take your time with version 6 and constantly test it prior to coming out to the general public.  and i am so glad you listen to those here in the forum and your beta testers.  After having so many problems with AVG 2011 on my computers and so many of my clients computers I am a true AVAST converter and hope to stay!

robin

clocks

« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »
all i know is AVAST take your time with version 6 and constantly test it prior to coming out to the general public.  and i am so glad you listen to those here in the forum and your beta testers.  After having so many problems with AVG 2011 on my computers and so many of my clients computers I am a true AVAST converter and hope to stay!

robin

I think the Avast 5 beta program was very well done, and I suspect they will follow a similar path with v6.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2010, 01:34:23 AM »
I think the Avast 5 beta program was very well done, and I suspect they will follow a similar path with v6.
avast beta programs are very well conducted in my opinion: speed and stability, moving forward all the time.

Diddy

« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2010, 07:59:38 AM »
HI can someone please explain to me what vik is talking about when he is talking about sandboxing and how the sandboxing feature will be in the free avast version is this like a safe place to put files is it just like using virus chest in avast?  please explain in detail please.

I am only an intermediate computer user and I do not understand what vik is talking about when he is talking about sandboxing in avast free.

thanks a lot have a great day

medway01

« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
HI can someone please explain to me what vik is talking about when he is talking about sandboxing and how the sandboxing feature will be in the free avast version is this like a safe place to put files is it just like using virus chest in avast?  please explain in detail please.

I am only an intermediate computer user and I do not understand what vik is talking about when he is talking about sandboxing in avast free.

thanks a lot have a great day

I'm not quite sure about sandboxing myself, there are many ways to implement it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_%28computer_security%29

The idea is to isolate things like browsers from your main system so anything nasty coming in through a browser does not have any way to gain access to your computer and alter files and infect. Everything inside the sand box is in theory isolated from the Operating system and the files on your computer.

I beleive it works by running browsers and other programs you choose in 'virtual enviroment' I think !

This is about the best I can do, hopefully someone with more experiance will be along :-)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »
The idea is to isolate things like browsers from your main system so anything nasty coming in through a browser does not have any way to gain access to your computer and alter files and infect. Everything inside the sand box is in theory isolated from the Operating system and the files on your computer.
Vlk is saying that according to the executable behavior, it could be isolated in the sandbox automatically, preventing it to do any harm to your computer.