Poll

Do you want automatic sandboxing (virtualization) to increase avast protection?

Yes. Make it available (on by default, i.e., for all users).
Yes. Make it available (off by default, i.e., for advanced users only).
No, I think the "default allow" policy (signatures, rules, etc.) is enough.
I don't understand the difference (please, post your doubts).
Other (please, post your opinion and why).

Author Topic: The future of avast protection  (Read 185763 times)

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: The future of avast protection
« Reply #285 on: November 28, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
I'm not happy that it says it uses .NET 4 and Silverlight. Is that for all versions or just the business one?
I think it was for the server edition.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #286 on: November 28, 2010, 06:16:17 PM »
I'm not happy that it says it uses .NET 4 and Silverlight. Is that for all versions or just the business one?

Your not the only one, I thing .net sucks, especially the so**ing updates, the worst windows update without doubt.

Why silverlight when the current avast uses flash (and that technically isn't required if you don't care about stats), I have been avoiding silverlight like the plague so far.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #287 on: November 28, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »

Even if it is for the server version - I'm always concerned about why .net is used, I haven't the slightest idea what it brings to the party.

MailWasher Pro has added .net 3.5 as a requirement for its latest version and for me it just slows the loading and closure of the application and I don't see any benefit with it running .net at all. It doesn't seem to do anything that it didn't before other than bells and whistles graphics, which I don't believe is the purpose of .net.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #288 on: November 28, 2010, 09:12:19 PM »

Why silverlight when the current avast uses flash (and that technically isn't required if you don't care about stats), I have been avoiding silverlight like the plague so far.

I think MS is pushing silverlight for it's sites, one example being xbox.com, plus it is shipped with new installs of Win 7...

I think they are trying to overthrow flash, but so far I haven't really seen anything that makes it better...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
It's for the Business Client version (network installations managed by the browser).
The best things in life are free.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »
I think they are trying to overthrow flash, but so far I haven't really seen anything that makes it better...
Considering how unsafe fkash is, provided silverlight is more secure , it migh be a good idea.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #291 on: November 29, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »
It's for the Business Client version (network installations managed by the browser).

I think it's actually just for the Small Business Console.  The installations of Avast on the client computers won't be any different than a standard free edition.  The framework and silverlight is needed just to render the Small Business Console in a browser.  The .NET framework is probably for controls in the application (like right-mouse click, drag & drop, etc.).  Since it's run from a web browser and not an actual program, they need the framework for the extra controls.  Silverlight, I imagine, is probably just for animations and graphics such as reports, graphs, etc.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

clubhouse

« Reply #292 on: November 29, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »
It would be nice to have a reset to default (out of the box) setting for those of us who aren't so techy but tried to make changes and lost our way :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
This has been asked for so many times we can't keep count and would be extremely handy for fault resolution as knowing that the user hasn't tweaked avast to within an inch of its life and gone an inch too far.

Another favourite question is can the current users settings be saved.

clubhouse

« Reply #294 on: November 29, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
Ok, I'll try a different tact, despite many requests before a restore to default option isn't available...is this a huge technical conundrum or not considered worthy of attention?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #295 on: November 29, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
We as avast users can't answer why it hasn't been includes if if it might be in avast 5.1, as there are no clear details of exactly what it consists of. All I can suggest is that as far a priorities go, I guess there are other things that are of a higher priority.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2010, 02:11:30 PM »
Not really part of the protection but, a smaller GUI would be of great help in netbooks with small screen. avast! here covers the whole screen when brought up. Context menu scan screen covers almost two-thirds.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #297 on: December 10, 2010, 03:04:39 PM »
Not really part of the protection but, a smaller GUI would be of great help in netbooks with small screen. avast! here covers the whole screen when brought up. Context menu scan screen covers almost two-thirds.
So drag it in from top and side and now you have a small a GUI :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
You can resize the avastUI by dragging the edges in, in the same way as other windows. However it does only go so small and no more, that size is remembered when you next open it. Mine goes down to 795 X 570 which may help on a netbook.

Unfortunately that trick doesn't work with the context scan window, it only allows you to reduce the height and worse news, it doesn't remember the setting.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #299 on: December 10, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
Just to mention: this is a tread about the future of avast protection, not GUI :)
The best things in life are free.