Author Topic: Need Avast to re-warn me about ''Rapport Cerberus''  (Read 15284 times)

JC19483

Need Avast to re-warn me about ''Rapport Cerberus''
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
Hey, all,
Avast flashed a message up saying there was a suspect file named ''Rapport Cerberus'' in the my documents parts of my computer. Initially I thought it was just to do with the Rapport internet banking security software, so chose to ignore it. I should of deleted it as it turns out ''Rapport Cerberus'' is malware/a virus/whatever. How do I get Avast to recognise the file again, so I can delete it? I've tried running the boot scan, but that didn't detect it. I've also ran Malwarebytes, which also came up clean. I imagine this friggin' file is gonna cause problems if I don't sort it, so I'd really appreciate any help :)

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Re: Need Avast to re-warn me about ''Rapport Cerberus''
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
You can always upload the file to VirusTotal to see if it's a false positive.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

JC19483

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »
Thanks, for the response.

Well, I've typed ''Rapport Cerberus'' into a search, and it comes up numerous times as malware or whatever, so it seems legit?

Does this mean I can still find the file? All I want is for Avast to just flash the message up again, so I have the option to delete it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 12:42:53 AM »
What were you doing at the time of the alert ?

If browsing it is possible that this was an alert by the Web Shield (in which case it should have stopped it getting on to your system).
- Check the avast the avastUI, Real-time Shields, Web Shield, Show report file and report the file name and full location of the detection ?
Note: change the URL from http to hXXp or www to wXw, to break the link and avoid accidental exposure to suspect sites, thanks.

If you were doing an on-demand scan at the time - Check the avast the avastUI, Scan Computer section, Scan Logs and report the file name and full location of the detection ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JC19483

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:46:45 AM »
Thanks.

I was just browsing, on a site I know is safe. It was an alert I'd never seen before, and it had a weird name... can't remember it. I haven't experienced any of the problems that appear to come with ''Rapport Cerberus'' like slowdown, being re-directed, ect. I've gone through everything on Avast to find it, I thought, but I'll try all the stuff you've just suggested :)

JC19483

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Yeah, just tried all that stuff, but can't seem to find anything. Surely if there's a problem I should be able to get Avast to re-identify it, right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 02:48:17 AM »
There is no such thing as a safe site now, the most prevalent method of attach is through sites that have been hacked.

It 'should' be in the Web Shield, Show Report File that I said if it were a web shield alert, the only option is abort connection, e.g. it drops the infected items connection. See example image of the type of alert you would receive with the web shield, is that the one you saw ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:51:53 AM »

As David said above, no web site is safe.

Every 1.3 seconds a new web page is infected.
Every month almost 2 million web pages across 210,000 websites are infected with Malware.
Malware attacks have grown by more than 600% since 2008.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 09:24:30 AM »
Have a look at this thread where a similar name was detected on another users machine, in the docs and settings folder.

Might give a pointer on where to search your own machine. Whether in fact it's malware or not is another issue, and once file/s have been located each one can be uploaded to virus total (link is above).
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

JC19483

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
Thanks, guys.

No, David, it wasn't that kind of alert. It was the kind that was in the thread that Tarq included a link to, and it looks like the exact same file.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
Do a search on the computer for the file.
You might need to show hidden and/or system files, and I'd be inclined to look in the folder shown in that alert message, first.
If you locate the file upload it to www.virustotal.com and let us know the result.

Do you know how to navigate through folders in explorer? (Windows explorer, not internet explorer.)

JC19483

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »
I've just been trying to search the computer, but as yet it's bearing no fruit. I'm not sure if I know how to navigate through folders :)

JC19483

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »
Gmer and Malwarebytes both didn't detect anything, which I assume they would if there was a problem?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
You're probably right.
If a scan by Avast does not reveal the file, there is probably little point in going hunting for it.

I would perform a disk cleanup,using the inbuilt utility or a program like Ccleaner to do this (if you aren't familiar with Ccleaner, do read the help file; you can delete stuff you might not want deleted. It is safe to tick the "temp" files and "temporary internet files" boxes.)

To navigate through folders, just double click the "my computer" icon, then select the folder that you want to examine. Some are, by default, hidden.And some files within non-hidden folders are hidden. They have to be shown in "folder options" to be visible in explorer.

JC19483

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »
I use Ccleaner daily. Perhaps that already got rid of it. I have tried searching my computer but the only time the file name in question as been recognised is when I get a message with a red cross saying ''\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus\19917\RapportCerberus_19917 refers to a location that is unavailable.'' Thanks, so much for your help, by the way.