Author Topic: lots of registry-entries left from avast 4  (Read 5396 times)

wilbor

lots of registry-entries left from avast 4
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:45:34 PM »
a few days ago I updated avast 4.? to version 5. Today I found out that there were no more entries in windows event viewer since then (yes -meanwhile I know there is no more support for this in v5  ;)) Looking for the reason, i had a look in the registry and found out, that there are lots of keys left pointing to avast4.
Is there a safe method to delete all this or would it be necessary to uninstall avast completely (if possible- no avast4 folder is left  ???) and make a clean re-install of v5? At the moment, v5 seems to work fine but with all that leftover-crap I'm not sure, the upgrade was 100% correct.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: lots of registry-entries left from avast 4
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
I think there no reason to worry about that, that's ok, but anyway, if you want to do a very clean install. you may uninstall version 5, and then run avast uninstall utility for version 5 in safe mode, and after reboot uninstall utility for version 4 in safe mode and then install avast 5 again after reboot in normal. Again I say there are no need to do that.

http://sites.google.com/site/boelectronic/computer/how-to/change-installed-antivirus/avast

A registry cleaner like Auslogics Registry cleaner or CCleaner can take care of that!
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »
Omid i decided to give this auslogic registry cleaner a go because your always recomending auslogic's product's to everyone, i left all the setting's as standard and not ticked advanced and to my disapointment i find that it has taken alot of the registry key's out of my total media player and has also disabled several of my sidebar programs and more than likely has probably disabled alot more program's,lucky for me there's a quick restore of these program's with rescue centre but i will definately never use or recomend any auslogic product ever again. Ccleaner is a far better program and has never done anything like this to my computer ever.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

The uninstall tool could be run twice to remove leftovers of version 4.8 and then of 5.0.
Legacy keys and old service/drivers entries will be removed by Windows after some time.
The best things in life are free.

wilbor

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »
Thanks Omid & Tech! For today, I first made a run of "wise registry cleaner" which found (I suppose)and deleted the obsolete Avast4 keys. Tomorrow or wednesday i'll do the rest (uninstall and re-install) following your description.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:24:23 PM »
Ok then. Post back when you're able :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( I'm sorry it caused problem for you. I never had problem with that, I've installed that on many different computers and they are working fine. well, I will link this topic to Auslogics support and will ask them for response.

Excuse me for bad advise.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:19:55 AM »
:'( :'( :'( :'( I'm sorry it caused problem for you. I never had problem with that, I've installed that on many different computers and they are working fine. well, I will link this topic to Auslogics support and will ask them for response.

Excuse me for bad advise.
No big problem, it was easyly fixed but do not trust there software now, had a similar problem with the wise registry cleaner once when i was still running vista so i no longer have faith in there software either. Please let me know how you go with auslogic's support,one of the things that were affected the worst was the windows weather sidebar gadget,it just deleted the options screen all together  ???

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
Well, I'm glad at least rescue center worked for you!

http://www.auslogics.com/en/contact/

wilbor

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »
Ok then. Post back when you're able :)

"done!" ;D
Everything works fine, setup.log shows no problems, all ok. Thanks for the support.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »
Omid i decided to give this auslogic registry cleaner a go because your always recomending auslogic's product's to everyone, i left all the setting's as standard and not ticked advanced and to my disapointment i find that it has taken alot of the registry key's out of my total media player and has also disabled several of my sidebar programs and more than likely has probably disabled alot more program's,lucky for me there's a quick restore of these program's with rescue centre but i will definately never use or recomend any auslogic product ever again. Ccleaner is a far better program and has never done anything like this to my computer ever.

Auslogics Support to me:
Dear Omid,

Apologies for that and thank you for sending this link! We will get our developers to look at this ASAP.

Best regards,

Support Team | Auslogics Software
http://www.auslogics.com

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »

Auslogics Support to me:
Dear Omid,

Apologies for that and thank you for sending this link! We will get our developers to look at this ASAP.

Best regards,

Support Team | Auslogics Software
http://www.auslogics.com
Thank's for reporting that Omid