Author Topic: Excluding items  (Read 14862 times)

Nikilet

Excluding items
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:14:57 AM »
I am using Avast Internet Security 5. I've been debating now for some time about whether to purchase Malwarebytes and use the free SUPERAntiSpyware ---- or purchase SUPERAntiSpyware and use free Malwarebytes. I've decided to purchase Malwarebytes.

I went to their forum and they gave me a whole list of things to exclude in Avast, including one item to exclude under the firewall. If this is necessary, then do I need to exlude Avast items in Malwarebytes as well?

These are the items I was told to exclude in Avast:
    * C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    * C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    * C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    * C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
    * C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
    * C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
    * C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    * C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    * C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

As this item was included as well:
Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Thanks

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Excluding items
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:57:44 AM »
I use the paid version of the software that you mention. I could possibly miss SAS but NEVER Malwarebytes antimalware.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:14:51 AM »
I used to have both SAS and MBam together but found SAS much heavier on my OS. I too would not be without the power and reliability of MBam! :)

Nikilet

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 04:45:02 AM »
I really appreciate the answers I received, but no one answered the question about the things to exclude.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 05:01:33 AM »
Hi Nikilet :)

As far as I know the exclusions are not realy needed, but they just speed up the MBAM scanning :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:23:02 AM »
According to the MBAM forum, this was posted by one of our Evang. in another thread:

If you decide to install the Pro version of MBAM, you will have to add the exclusions into the file system shield and to the exclusions in settings.

For Windows XP: CODE  C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista and Windows 7: CODE  C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7: CODE  C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

These will need to be added one at a time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was written when MBAM was v.1.46, and the version has since changed to 1.50.  So you may want to verify with the MBAM forum.  In the meantime, it can't hurt to add the exclusions to be on the safe side.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »
If you decide to install the Pro version of MBAM, you will have to add the exclusions into the file system shield and to the exclusions in settings.

Not needed. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 10:18:46 AM »
I needed to use it on a Vista using MBAM Pro but only added some of the exclusions listed above.  Pro is resident protection.  Someone's update, not sure who....caused MBAM to become a FP and I did not have MBAM as an exclusion.  Since then I've had no problems.  This information came from the MBAM forum itself.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 10:25:01 AM »
I needed to use it on a Vista using MBAM Pro but only added some of the exclusions listed above.  Pro is resident protection.  Someone's update, not sure who....caused MBAM to become a FP and I did not have MBAM as an exclusion.  Since then I've had no problems.  This information came from the MBAM forum itself.

Well, there was an issue with swissarmy some time ago, but this has been corrected, I don't know of any problems right now...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
I do think the MBAM 1.50 is much better, so perhaps this has fixed things.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »
I do think the MBAM 1.50 is much better, so perhaps this has fixed things.

I don't know, which issue(s) you had....!!??
But sure, we don't need to discuss old problems with new versions. ;)
asyn
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:56:50 AM by Asyn »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
The exclusion's may or may not be needed but from the info and advice that was supplied to me by the MBAM moderator's is that the exclusion's should be placed into all av's that are running alongside MBAM. Nikilet you can add the avast program file to the ignore list in MBAM, might not be necessary but i always exclude my security software from one another just in case, i dont want any lockup's :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 11:09:47 AM »
Nikilet you can add the avast program file to the ignore list in MBAM, might not be necessary but i always exclude my security software from one another just in case, i dont want any lockup's :)
Good suggestion for now until we confirm with MBAM.  I am very familiar with Nikilet's machine nightmare history, and I am sure the OP does not need another problem.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 11:12:15 AM »
...i always exclude my security software from one another just in case, i dont want any lockup's :)

No problem, but keep in mind, that if any of your security programs files should get infected somehow, the other program would be unable to find it, if you excluded it from scanning... ;)
asyn

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »
...i always exclude my security software from one another just in case, i dont want any lockup's :)

No problem, but keep in mind, that if any of your security programs files should get infected somehow, the other program would be unable to find it, if you excluded it from scanning... ;)
asyn

Im just doing what the power's that be suggest to do.
Asyn do you run MBAM PRO ?