Author Topic: AD BLOCK disabled  (Read 9785 times)

twl845

AD BLOCK disabled
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »
Hi, I have discovered that when my Chrome browser is virtualized by Avast! Pro, my AD-Block extension is disabled. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the AD-BLOCK but now can't re-install. When my Chrome isn't virtualized AD-BLOCK is fine.

YoKenny

Re: AD BLOCK disabled
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »
I have never had to run Chrome virtualized.
Even DavidR does not run his browser virtualized.

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:55:52 PM »
Quick work-around might be   openAvast!>>RealTimeShields>>ProcessVirtualization>>ExpertSettings>>Parameters>>Check "All Settings (incl. extentions, add-ons, etc.)"

twl845

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
What's it for then?  ;D

twl845

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:02:31 PM »
Quick work-around might be   openAvast!>>RealTimeShields>>ProcessVirtualization>>ExpertSettings>>Parameters>>Check "All Settings (incl. extentions, add-ons, etc.)"
I tried it and it still doesn't install. I click the install button and nothing.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »
Oh you are trying to install a browser extention while sandboxed?  That might always fail, I have never updated sandboxed, I always update/install browser related things normally, then they are fine when I run it sandboxed. 

But as you said, it works fine not virtualized, so I assume you installed it normally, and is simply is not there when you run it sandboxed?  Have you tried emptying the sandbox contents yet from the expert settings?

twl845

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:32:21 PM »
Oh you are trying to install a browser extention while sandboxed?  That might always fail, I have never updated sandboxed, I always update/install browser related things normally, then they are fine when I run it sandboxed. 

But as you said, it works fine not virtualized, so I assume you installed it normally, and is simply is not there when you run it sandboxed?  Have you tried emptying the sandbox contents yet from the expert settings?
I emptied the sandbox and still won't install. As I mentioned in my original post, AD-BLOCK was installed, and I noticed that it was grayed out (disabled on its own). Then I couldn't enable it, so I uninstalled it and tried to re-install it and it won't. I have 6 other extensions that have no problem running virtualized.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:39:26 PM »
What's it for then?  ;D

First I don't use Chrome, I have never liked it of the few times I tried it, it is much less configurable and has much less add-on support as firefox, my default browser.

I don't use the avast Pro version so no process virtualisation anyway and I toyed with the idea of sandboxie some time ago but that was as far as I got. But then I have other pro-active measures, I always run Internet Facing applications, browsers, email clients under DropMyRights. This runs them as a limited user limiting the potential harm any malware can do, e.g. not inheriting the privileges of the user account you are using, most people run as an administrator group account.

I also have a robust backup and recovery strategy, these measures have stood me in god stead for many years.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

twl845

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »
When Chrome first came out it was pathetic,but I left it installed just to see how it would progress. I too am a big FF fan so I used that. Lately Chrome has become much better, and as you say, FF has a much better extension program. Especially themes. Chromes choice of themes is terrible. I like how Chrome has a nice clean delivery though, and loads faster than FF for me. Once loaded it runs really nice so I made it my default for a while, and now that I have Avast! Pro I have it running virtualized full time. If I get hit I just close down and the source of the problem is gone once I'm running out of the sandbox. I run an extension called Click and Clean where I can delete the cache, history, and cookies in or out of virtual. So I can run virtual while the unvirtual stays clean.

twl845

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:25:18 AM »

I emptied the sandbox and still won't install. As I mentioned in my original post, AD-BLOCK was installed, and I noticed that it was grayed out (disabled on its own). Then I couldn't enable it, so I uninstalled it and tried to re-install it and it won't. I have 6 other extensions that have no problem running virtualized.
Who! I had shut my computer down for a while, and when I started it again and loaded my virtualized Chrome, the AD-BLOCK is now back and running. The only explanation I can think of is when I emptied the sandbox on your suggestion, and restarted, it was fixed. Thanks for your help.  ;D

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 06:28:27 AM »
Since the beginning of electric machine time, the electric machine gods have declared nearly all problems may be fixed by turning the power off, then back on. 

So it has always been, and so it shall remain.

twl845

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 01:38:55 AM »
The AD-Block disabling returned. While in virtual mode in Chrome browser watching a U-Tube video, I noticed there was no sound. Then the web page crashed and efforts to revive it were futile. I shut down Chrome and re-started it but it was unresponsive. I shut Chrome down again and disabled the virtual, and found it still unresponsive, so I shut it down and accessed Firefox but during accessing it I got a dialog page saying it couldn't access the server. I shut down FF and rebooted to find everything OK unvirtualized. Apparently Avast! Pro virtualized isn't compatable with Chrome (on my computer) and what ever screws it up affects Firefox too. As I type this on Firefox virtualized, there doesn't seem to be any problem. I'm going to use the virtualization only on FF for a while to see if it screws up.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:42:51 AM by twl845 »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 02:05:29 AM »
Hi twl845,

You are using Avast! Pro 5.0.677, and not the 5.1.822 BETA, right ???

I have emailed Petr Kurtin ( the sandbox developer ) about your problem.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

twl845

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 04:34:21 AM »
Hi twl845,

You are using Avast! Pro 5.0.677, and not the 5.1.822 BETA, right ???

I have emailed Petr Kurtin ( the sandbox developer ) about your problem.

Greetz, Red.
Hi Red, Yes I'm using Avast! Pro 5.0.677. I bought it a short time ago. Thanks for your interest and help. Just an update. I've been using the virtual on Firefox for about a half hour, and I can't make it screw up. FF is using its own AD-BLOCK as well as NoScript with no adverse effects from using Avast virtual so far. However, Chrome is still affected. :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:41:10 PM by twl845 »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
If you uncheck "Store files..." checkbox in Expert Settings, does it help? Thanks.