Author Topic: Resolved: upgraded from 4.8 to 5.0, and all programs stopped  (Read 11244 times)

rubybear

Resolved: upgraded from 4.8 to 5.0, and all programs stopped
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:23:08 AM »
I just installed Avast 5.0, I had 4.8.  Once my computer restarted, not one of my programs showed up in the system tray, and I could not access any of them through start, programs, either.  Couldn't go on the internet.  Couldn't even do a system restore.  I had to restart in safe mode so I could restore before the installation.  Now Avast 4.8 isn't working at all, and I have no anti-virus program running because of this.

I have Windows XP SP3.

I am afraid to try installing Avast 5.0 again, I hope there is another free anti-virus program out there.  I loved Avast, but I don't know what they did with this new version!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:55:20 AM by rubybear »

jhp40

Re: upgraded from 4.8 to 5.0, and all programs stopped
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:32:42 AM »
I installed AIS 5 today and have yet to get it to function six hours later.
Piece of total crap it is.

rubybear

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:47:20 AM »
I am now frantically searching for another free antivirus program, because windows says I'm unprotected.  I'm thinking of completely uninstalling the now unuseable 4.8 version of Avast, and downloading AVG.  Anybody recommend that program?

It was a good thing I created a restore point BEFORE downloading Avast 5.0, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use my computer at all.  However, it somehow turned my old version 4.8 into garbage in the process.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 07:55:01 AM »
I would suggest downloading a fresh copy of avast and the removal tool and save to download's, delet your current avast though add remove program's then reboot into safe mode and run the removal tool then reboot again, you should be able to install your new copy of avast now, sometime's installing over the top of previous does not work a clean install is always recomended.
If you have ever had any other av's in the past it is advisible to get the removal tool for these as well which you can find here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
I wouldn't recomend avg, my second choice after avast would be mse, but please try  my suggestion's first :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:57:15 AM by craigb »

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
I would suggest downloading a fresh copy of avast and the removal tool and save to download's, delet your current avast though add remove program's then reboot into safe mode and run the removal tool then reboot again, you should be able to install your new copy of avast now, sometime's installing over the top of previous does not work a clean install is always recomended.
If you have ever had any other av's in the past it is advisible to get the removal tool for these as well which you can find here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
I wouldn't recomend avg, my second choice after avast would be mse, but please try  my suggestion's first :)
+1  Yup, clean re-install sounds right for you, rubybear.

Welcome to Avast! forums. You seem angry.  Please start  your own thread to vent your own anger (or maybe try to get help for your problem).  Thanks and have a nice day!  ;)

jhp40

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:08:05 AM »

Welcome to Avast! forums. You seem angry.  Please start  your own thread to vent your own anger (or maybe try to get help for your problem).  Thanks and have a nice day!  ;)

[/quote]

Already started. Yes, I am angry when I spend money on a program that won't even run and spend over 6 hours trying to fix it.
NEVER in my 30+ years of computer experience have I run into such a bad program.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:16:31 AM by jhp40 »

rubybear

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:22:02 AM »
Question - to uninstall version 4.8 do I run the removal tool file aswClear5.exe, or aswClear.exe?

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:24:01 AM »

I believe you need to use aswClear.exe as the other is for version5.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:37:49 AM »
Question - to uninstall version 4.8 do I run the removal tool file aswClear5.exe, or aswClear.exe?
Once you've downloaded the removal tool, when you open it you should get a list with all the version's listed, you'll need to run the tool for both of the version's you had installed with reboot's in between.

rubybear

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:23 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I think I'm going to have to wait til tomorrow to go through all these steps.  It's 11:40 pm where I live, and I need a fresh mind to start this whole process.  I'll post again to let you all know if it worked.  I'd really like to stay with Avast if I can just get the program to work for me!

Signed,
Unprotected for now...

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
@ rubybear,

Here is a detailed guide for the uninstall and clean install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  You will need to uninstall BOTH versions 4.0 and 5.0 at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know if this fixes your problems.  Thank you.  :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
@ jhp40,

Since you have a different Avast product from the OP who started this thread, I suggest you start your own thread and we would be happy to assist you there.  I understand you are upset, but we will help you and work things our for you to get things running.  Thank you.

swarnava

@Ruby
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 01:15:31 PM »
you must also download v5 removal tools for remove Avast in future

rubybear

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 01:31:24 AM »
Just installed Avast 5 using your instructions.  This time I got a woman's voice saying Welcome to Avast.  Then the window shows up saying "urgent, my Avast service is stopped", and there is a big UNSECURED notice telling me to click the FIX NOW button.  When I do, nothing happens at all, it is just frozen with the hourglass on my cursor.  

NOW WHAT???

By the way, I didn't reboot after installing this, because this was the same window that showed up yesterday when I tried to install it before (over V4.8).  When I rebooted that time, none of my programs would work, so I'm afraid to do it.  I shouldn't have to reboot, since the program window shows up, apparently I should be able to use it properly.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:40:45 AM by rubybear »

Gargamel360

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 01:37:25 AM »
NOW WHAT???

Now I ask if you have any other AV/security software installed on this pc.  

If the answer is "no", try a repair.  Proceed as if you are uninstalling Avast! normally through add/remove programs, but choose the "repair" option from the menu when it appears, then follow the presented steps.

edit
By the way, I didn't reboot after installing this, because this was the same window that showed up yesterday when I tried to install it before (over V4.8).  When I rebooted that time, none of my programs would work, so I'm afraid to do it.  I shouldn't have to reboot, since the program window shows up, apparently I should be able to use it properly.
Oh, then a simple reboot might solve it (yes you should not need to if not prompted, but yet it works sometimes nonetheless) 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:47:49 AM by Gargamel360 »