Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: New Official Avast Program Update 5.1.889 **  (Read 194881 times)

Dch48

Re: ** INTRODUCING: New Official Avast Program Update 5.1.889 **
« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »
Avast knows what definitions to use, it also does housekeeping to prune old defs folders.

The self-defence module is there for a purpose to prevent deletion of avast elements, folders, files, etc. Of course you can disable the self-defence module, but I would certainly wouldn't recommend the deletions of defs folders as you have no idea how that may impact on avast.

I would let avast do its own housekeeping in this respect, mine has the current 110126-1 and last 110126-0 (virus definitions) defs folders (11012600 & 11012601). So it has been doing its housekeeping with nothing older than the current and previous version remaining.

What is displayed in your defs folder ?
Interesting, mine always has just the most recent defs. It never retains any old ones.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2011, 12:27:07 AM »
Depends when you look, before or after avasts housekeeping and how soon after a virus definitions update. Mine still has the current one and the last one, but it isn't something that I'm overly concerned with.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hemmi1

« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2011, 08:24:43 PM »
I've used Avast! for about two years on two machines, and love it. However, "upgrading" to the security suite on my Windows XP machine was good, but on Windows 7 machine was a disaster. While I couldn't run Outlook or normal Windows, I was able to back up to my external hard drives.

After uninstalling the Suite, I downloaded (and paid for) the Pro version like I had, and my Windows 7 machine is running just perfect.

After installing the Security Suite three times without success, I think I'll stick with Pro. So, Sunday night I spend $64.95 (for two machines and for two years) and Tuesday night I spent $34.95 for one machine, one year. Since I only have two machines, Avast! is not a terribly good deal for the money. :'(

dslentz

« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »
I notice no mention of the problems this update is causing - It appears to be mostly with Windows 7 64 bit systems.
Getting "Program stopped working" errors - I have had 2 customers with this problem!
Please address this so I can go back to using avast!

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2011, 03:09:09 AM »
On This Version of Avast is it possible for me to clear the Shield logs? like the logs under shields>Webshield>Shield log  ???
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:02:25 AM by Coolmario88cp »
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

CarolynK

« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2011, 05:27:09 AM »
I wish I had read all of this before I downloaded it (and paid for it).  I had used Avast in the past, but always the free version.  I decided I liked what this gave me as far as protection.  I recently purchased a new laptop and decided this would be a good  time to try the paid version.

Software downloaded fine.  It worked fine for a few days and then when it updated I get a message telling me my license is invalid.  I tried re-inserting the license, but no luck.  I uninstalled Avast and did a clean download and inserted the license.  Works until I go to update and then I get invalid license file again.

I have spoken to them on the phone and they have no idea.. All they wanted to do was to access my computer remotely.  I am a bit frustrated honestly because I have no idea how to fix this problem.  Does anyone have a fix for this problem?  If not I guess I will need to switch to another anti-virus and see if I can get a refund.

Sparxx

« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2011, 12:44:58 PM »
I wish I had read all of this before I downloaded it (and paid for it).  I had used Avast in the past, but always the free version.  I decided I liked what this gave me as far as protection.  I recently purchased a new laptop and decided this would be a good  time to try the paid version.

Software downloaded fine.  It worked fine for a few days and then when it updated I get a message telling me my license is invalid.  I tried re-inserting the license, but no luck.  I uninstalled Avast and did a clean download and inserted the license.  Works until I go to update and then I get invalid license file again.

I have spoken to them on the phone and they have no idea.. All they wanted to do was to access my computer remotely.  I am a bit frustrated honestly because I have no idea how to fix this problem.  Does anyone have a fix for this problem?  If not I guess I will need to switch to another anti-virus and see if I can get a refund.

Hi CarolynK,
please start a new thread for your problem, I'm sure you'll get help here as Avast is not only an amazing av product, it's comunity is wonderful also.

Meantime you can try and repair your avast installation (Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs-> Uninstall\Repair Avast -> Repair).

Flash999

« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »
On This Version of Avast is it possible for me to clear the Shield logs? like the logs under shields>Webshield>Shield log  ???
Yes! Me too. You can disable Avast! self protection, kill services and delete Log.db in Avast! folder. Clear!

C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5 -> Delete Log.db
        |
   This is hide

Sorry for my English. I'm from Poland.

Offline SusanLeake

« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2011, 04:43:21 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after the repair. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual version, etc.

Though yours seems to be more than just this, if the repair doesn't work I would suggest that you do a clean reinstall.
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.1.889 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only), somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.x, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

You didn't say what version of avast you are using so the above assums you are using the free version.

Thanks, David.  I have uninstalled 5.0.889 and installed latest version.  I am now on 5.1.889 and all shields are active (thank goodness) but on restart it is still telling me the licence key is not entered (a pop-up window appears before Avast loads) but my program is licensed until 2013.  

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
Did you actually enter your previous key if so does that date of license expiry match that displayed in the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration section ?

Did you do the 2nd step in my instructions as that is important to ensure any remnants of the previous install are gone ?

If the above are yes, then try the avast repair again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SusanLeake

« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
Did you actually enter your previous key if so does that date of license expiry match that displayed in the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration section ?

Did you do the 2nd step in my instructions as that is important to ensure any remnants of the previous install are gone ?

If the above are yes, then try the avast repair again.

license as reported is correct.  I rarely shut down this machine - simply put it to sleep because it can be a nightmare to boot.  I am intending to either replace it and/or wipe it and start again as it is an early Vista and has been problematic since day 1 and I know now that the registry is corrupt.

When I have the courage I will repair and restart but my AV is now working properly - thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #281 on: January 29, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
You're welcome.

Nesivos

« Reply #282 on: January 29, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
I notice no mention of the problems this update is causing - It appears to be mostly with Windows 7 64 bit systems.
Getting "Program stopped working" errors - I have had 2 customers with this problem!
Please address this so I can go back to using avast!

Its could just be that a lot of AIS users also use W7 x64

My guess is that it is more of an "Application" conflict as opposed to a W7 x64 problem.

However it could also be problem with WOW64 and some corrupted or missing files.   Anytime you have a "bridge conversion" program it can cause problems.

Best Practices for WOW64
Updated: June 17, 2010

Microsoft Word file
Updated: Jun 17, 2010

The PC industry is gradually transitioning from an installed base of primarily 32-bit systems to one of primarily 64-bit systems. In the interim, many application developers will continue to build 32-bit versions of their applications or will provide both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. To ease the effort that is involved in porting applications and to help encourage adoption of 64-bit computing, Microsoft provides Windows 32-bit On Windows 64-bit (WOW64), an emulation layer that enables 32 bit Windows-based applications to run seamlessly on 64-bit Windows. This paper defines best practices for building applications that run on WOW64

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/64bit/wow64_bestprac.mspx

I have two W7 HP x64 computers and used the GUI to update to 5.1.889.

No problems with the update or since. :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:11:39 PM by Nesivos »

sasank

« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2011, 01:52:41 PM »
Hi Vlk,

Congratulations about the successful lauch of new version.Any how advacements comes along with some issues which is a known thing.I have one such thing.I have inserted a pen drive and when i right clicked and select the 'scan' option window showing the scan status is not getting displayed.I didn't observed it in earlier version.Reply me ASAP.

PC Specifications:
------------------
     O.S :Windows7
     RAM :4GB
HARD DISK: 500GB
PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE2 DUO

Regards,
sasank.

fabiotrentino

« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2011, 02:04:39 AM »
Hi Vlk,

Congratulations about the successful lauch of new version.Any how advacements comes along with some issues which is a known thing.I have one such thing.I have inserted a pen drive and when i right clicked and select the 'scan' option window showing the scan status is not getting displayed.I didn't observed it in earlier version.Reply me ASAP.

PC Specifications:
------------------
     O.S :Windows7
     RAM :4GB
HARD DISK: 500GB
PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE2 DUO

Regards,
sasank.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally think Avast antivirus just a perfect, automatically blocks viruses properly and that makes me most happy is to have a forum just perfect, organized and solve almost all your problems. About version 5.1, version 6.0 in 1289 says it all power of the software, Avast is the very best in security for large numbers of computer users 180 million ... If 180 million users say the program is perfect not to use? :)

I'm an Avast user forever.

Thank you.