Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: New Official Avast Program Update 5.1.889 **  (Read 194877 times)

g0dsends

Re: ** INTRODUCING: New Official Avast Program Update 5.1.889 **
« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »
had no issues with avast since the day i bought it.keep up the good work guys  :)

hydrogen

« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:59 AM »
I have several brand new HP i7 Core Windows 7 x64 machines and I did clean  install and upgrade  thrue GUI on some of them from 5.0.677  to the latest 5.1.889 with the same results (some modules not on, and errors on reboot)
I have 12 licenses of OSS and 12 Licenses of OFP and 7 of avast pro, my wife runs mid size office with over 30 PC's ,the other day she have asked me if we should change security app on all machines to avast, as  for now there is only 7 machines with it,  well  my mind is made up for me.
 One thing is to prematurely release  update  that will cripple  computers but acknowledge that so people don't have to wonder  about  it, and  another to dance around  and  insinuate that  some users machines are in fault because that's what some  tech guys seems to be doing here.
I've just renewed subscriptions of avast pro 3 licenses for another 3 years, but I have no hard fillings shifting to my next favorite competitor  totally to  Outpost SS ;)

Offline SusanLeake

« Reply #257 on: January 24, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

My update does not seem to have worked.  According to the program I am still on 5.0.889.  Also my web shield is now OFF and has been since Thursday 20th when I had the prompt to update (which I did)

No button pushing will restart it, not even the FIX NOW button. 
Also every time I restart my computer it tells me my license key has not been installed but the program tells me I am subscribed.

HELP!

FYI I am using Vista Business on my desktop machine which is having the problem.  My XP laptop is working properly!

kevinc

« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
Hello, i am having a major problem on my computer after installing the avast update 5.1.889.  I can't be sure that this is the issue, but, after thinking about it for awhile, this is the only thing downloaded on my computer since i started having the issues.  I am unable to open any programs on my computer except for IE for some reason.  I get an error message that says dwwin.exe error.  can't open control panel to remove or repair avast.  any suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2011, 06:26:58 PM »

My update does not seem to have worked.  According to the program I am still on 5.0.889.  Also my web shield is now OFF and has been since Thursday 20th when I had the prompt to update (which I did)

No button pushing will restart it, not even the FIX NOW button. 
Also every time I restart my computer it tells me my license key has not been installed but the program tells me I am subscribed.

HELP!

FYI I am using Vista Business on my desktop machine which is having the problem.  My XP laptop is working properly!

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after the repair. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual version, etc.

Though yours seems to be more than just this, if the repair doesn't work I would suggest that you do a clean reinstall.
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.1.889 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only), somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.x, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

You didn't say what version of avast you are using so the above assums you are using the free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
Hello, i am having a major problem on my computer after installing the avast update 5.1.889.  I can't be sure that this is the issue, but, after thinking about it for awhile, this is the only thing downloaded on my computer since i started having the issues.  I am unable to open any programs on my computer except for IE for some reason.  I get an error message that says dwwin.exe error.  can't open control panel to remove or repair avast.  any suggestions?
Try what has been suggested. The only thing I would add is that dwwin is the Dr. Watson utility built into Windows that detects when there are problems with the operating system.

Offline SusanLeake

« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after the repair. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual version, etc.

Though yours seems to be more than just this, if the repair doesn't work I would suggest that you do a clean reinstall.
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.1.889 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only), somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.x, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

You didn't say what version of avast you are using so the above assums you are using the free version.

Repair did not work - it still tells me the version is 5.0.889 and if I try update it tells me I am already on ver 5.1.889. 
I am using the professional, paid subscription version.  Can you give me the link please

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2011, 03:52:30 PM »
Direct link for the Pro version http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LarryGS

« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »
The problem with updating, at least on my computers, is that there are multiple definition versions in the Program Files folder. Avast can't seem to decide which version to use and the older of the versions cannot be deleted.

Feature Request: Avast needs a better means of preventing this scenario, and a better means of detecting and resolving it when it occurs.

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »
Avast knows what definitions to use, it also does housekeeping to prune old defs folders.

The self-defence module is there for a purpose to prevent deletion of avast elements, folders, files, etc. Of course you can disable the self-defence module, but I would certainly wouldn't recommend the deletions of defs folders as you have no idea how that may impact on avast.

I would let avast do its own housekeeping in this respect, mine has the current 110126-1 and last 110126-0 (virus definitions) defs folders (11012600 & 11012601). So it has been doing its housekeeping with nothing older than the current and previous version remaining.

What is displayed in your defs folder ?

imemine

« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
Last night I did the upgrade from the previous version to 5.1.889.  I'm using windows vista on my laptop.  I was having major problems installing, my computer would lockup. Finally in safe mode I uninstalled Avast, rebooted to regular mode and installed 5.1.889 and it worked fine except now I can't receive email using windows email (vista) unless I turn off the Avast email protection to scan incoming email.  I can't figure out what is wrong and some of the posts here are from 2003 and forward, I can't seem to find anything on this that is current. 
Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
M

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »
- Please start a New Topic of your own as this topic is huge and your problem should be investigated outside of it. 
- Go to this link, [urlhttp://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0[/url].  Click the New Topic button (see image, click to expand) at the top of the list, post there and we will try to help you there.

imemine

« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2011, 10:21:39 PM »
thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »
I dont see anything that gives me the New Topic option
Go here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0
There is a button in the top right side.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »