Author Topic: Some Files Could Not Be Scanned - Error: Reached the end of the file (38)  (Read 7276 times)

Offline baabel

For the last three days' scans, I have received this message:

"Some Files Could Not Be Scanned - Error:  Reached the end of the file (38)"

The file referenced by the message are two program install files on a install CD that I am storing on my harddrive.

Avast never had a problem with this before, but it seems to now.

Any ideas what I can do to avoid this message appearing?

Windows XP,with SP3.

Avast Free Antivirus.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
What are those files?

Offline baabel

QuickBook installation files:  565 MB.

They've always been there.

Avast never had a problem with them until a few days ago.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Hmm... I'd need to take a look at the affected file to be able to say more...

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Maybe I need to add my friend who use QuickBook and 'another antivirus' (AVG) has same problem during full scan of his laptop
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Well, there is nothing suspicious about the error message itself (could be a corrupted or unsupported archive type) - it's just that I'm not aware of any recent changes/updates in archive unpacking code... so if the file has been there for a long time, and the message started to appear just know, I'd like to check it to see if there isn't any strange bug somewhere...

aisuser

I just got this same result in regards to an SWSETUP file on Windows XP Pro SP3 and it never showed up before either. It's in regards to MS Works in the SWSETUP file after a full scan with pup turned on and sensitivity set to high. Funny thing is since I have MS Office, I removed MS Works from my laptop months ago, and never got this result on a full paid version Avast scan until today, January 24.

Offline baabel

Omid, in the recent past I used AVG Free, until their latest program update (2011) started interfering with one program on one computer and wouldn't update itself on another computer. 

This shouldn't be due to a change in QuickBooks, since the QuickBooks isn't even installed on this computer; I am merely storing the install CD.  Very strange.

Igor, I am not sure how to check the QuickBooks file, other than by installing it, which I really do not need to do on this computer.

Aisuser, it is very strange how you got the same message regarding a MSWorks setup file.

I'll bet there was a smal change in AVAST which is causing it to stop reading certain setup files or CD's.  In my case there are two files mentioned in the message, the Windows XP setup and the Windows 2000 setup.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I believe I already found out what's going on in another thread... I suppose the path in the error message contains the "[Emul]" part, right?
No, the engine certainly hasn't stopped scanning anything - the opposite, actually... some more files are unpacked (or rather emulated), which results in the following errors. I'll hide the errors somehow in a virus database update in a few days.

phoenix1

I've been getting the same message  ??? So any help would be great, thanks!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Some Files Could Not Be Scanned - Error: Reached the end of the file (38)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »
The help is simple - just ignore that message.

jgolla

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
Interesting.  I got a similar message today in my weekly scan.  The files were in my windowsxp folder and ended with update.ver.  However, now that I read this forum thread I should mention that since my previous scan last week I did install a VERY OLD version of Quick Books.  I will ignore the files for the scans' sake - but just wanted to add my experience in case it helped with the assessment.

Yvonne 123

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 09:29:06 PM »
I am a computer illiterate and have just installed Free Avast a couple of weeks ago.  I too have been getting this message re two files for a few days.  I haven't installed anything new.  I guess from an earlier post I can just ignore this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 10:45:46 PM »
Yvonne 123, Igor has answered before... Reply #10.
The best things in life are free.

Offline baabel

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 10:21:20 AM »
Yes, Igor, the path does indeed include [emul], you are absolutely correct.

I will await the update of the database.

Thank you!