Author Topic: avast! 6: How do I remove the avast! gadget permanently?  (Read 34467 times)

Offline apeka

avast! 6: How do I remove the avast! gadget permanently?
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
Hello,

I updated to avast! 6.01 Free today and now alle the users profiles are getting this unwanted gadgets in the Vista and W7 desktop gadget sidebar. I uninstalled the avast! gadget from all gadgetlists with every user, but nevertheless it keeps coming back after login. It doesn't show up in the gadgets collections anymore though. I guess it's loading by default from somewhere...How do I get rid of this permanently?

Hally

Re: avast! 6: How do I remove the avast! gadget permanently?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
Hi :)

I'd also like to know the answer to this question  ???

Hally

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
It is probably in the shared gadgets folder and since still installed by avast will be restarted.

Avast Gadget removal - 1. Control panel -> Programs and Features -> avast! -> Change -> uncheck the box "avast! gadget"

- OR -

2. right-click the desktop, select Gadgets, right-click the avast! gadget and select Uninstall (not as it seems in this case).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hally

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »
Hi David :)

As much as I hate the flamin thing... Think I'll leave it be for Now!  :-\

It should be easier to remove than that  ::)

Avast should have either...
a) Made it permanently closable via the gadgets X ( Otherwise why even give it a X Close? )
b) Made somewhere within the Avast 6 UI where we can Un-Tick / Tick if we want the gadget or not.

Don't even understand what it's purpose is  ??? Other than to take up the biggest part of my Sidebar  >:(

Thanks!

Hally

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
That really isn't hard, no more difficult than the old avast repair option, just one step more. If it were giving me as much grief as your post implies, I would certainly take that extra step.

A lot depends on if you had the avast 6 beta installed and if you updated from the beta to the 6.0.1000 release version or did a clean install as effectively there were two processes at work.

Those who did a clean install of 6.0.1000 shouldn't have had this problem of it being installed in the shared gadgets folder (as it is this which brings it back).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hally

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »
Hi David  :)

Never had the Beta installed!
Updated from Avast 5 to Avast 6 via right clicking the Avast Taskbar Icon.

One More Question Please!

If you have a look at the 2 pictures below.
1st : Taken from the Avast 6 Quick Start Guide.
2nd : Taken from my laptop.
Can you spot the difference?
Which one is correct?
OR...
Is there a difference between the gadget for Vista and Windows 7  ???

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »
Since Avast 6 Free doesn't have SafeZone, the button was removed.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71645.0
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Hally

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
Hi  :)

That Explains It!

Thanks Gopher John  ;)

Hally

Offline apeka

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Hello Everybody,

Thanks for the replies...Control Panel -> Programs -> change avast! and uncheck the gadget did the trick for me.... I still think avast! should have set the gadget default to off or had this switch incorporated in its program settings. This surprise feature reminded me of other software that installed stuff in the background and no clear way of switching that off later. Hope avast! isn't going the wrong way by adding all kinds of nifty, useless features now and make the basic program unstable (like AVG did with version 2011). I understand that it is free software, so maybe I should get a Pro version when the registration period ends and hopefully have less surprises then... ?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:22:50 PM by apeka »

Hally

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:23:26 PM »
Hi David  :)

It is probably in the shared gadgets folder and since still installed by avast will be restarted.

Avast Gadget removal - 1. Control panel -> Programs and Features -> avast! -> Change -> uncheck the box "avast! gadget"

- OR -

2. right-click the desktop, select Gadgets, right-click the avast! gadget and select Uninstall (not as it seems in this case).

Option 1... Gadget Gone!

If I'd been able to make it Smaller - or - Close it via it's X ... Then it could have Stayed!

But as it was... Just Had To Be Gone! ::)

Thanks!  ;)

Hally

jmm

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
fine, but that disables webrep - the app is still there but the 3 bars are grey (this site has no rating) for all web sites - definitely a bug in there...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:10:55 PM by jmm »

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »
fine, but that disables webrep - the app is still there but the 3 bars are grey (this site has no rating) for all web sites - definitely a bug in there...

No, it certainly has nothing to do with webrep. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc;)

jmm

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »
errare humanum est but how come webrep dont work no more after disabling gadget in "prgrams and features"?

jmm

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 12:21:02 PM »
hold it! it's mysteriously working again... wow!
ite missa est...

doktornotor

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
errare humanum est but how come webrep dont work no more after disabling gadget in "prgrams and features"?

I would suggest to read the Wikipedia article. These two things have nothing in common. Besides, no rating doesn't mean WebRep is not working, usually there simply are not enough votes for the site so the rating would be highly misleading. The other cause might be server downtime, again completely unrelated to gadgets.