Author Topic: avast! can't eliminate files - problem has been here since January  (Read 2645 times)

12-es_csaj

When I "play" with eicar.com, I create it or download it via SSL, avast! can't put it into chest. It asks me what to do -- I set it to ask when it can't move the object into the chest --, and when I select delete or move to chest, it asks again. When I choose Block, it calms down. If not, I have to turn on the Silent/Gaming Mode.
The original file disappears - but not avast! what is kill it -, but a .tmp file appears. In some occasions, I can't delete it from Windows Explorer or from TotalCommander, because it disappears and a new one is created with a new name. And when it get bored, it finishes the play. Then, I can delete the current (the last) temporary files. But sometimes they're gone by themselves.
By the way, thousands (!) of .tmp files can be created and deleted in about one or two minutes.

In a Hungarian forum, I was suggested to disable Windows Search service - because the process that is made the "game" was SearchProtocolHost.exe according to avast!. I disabled that. But the symptoms are almost the same. The "gamers" are the programs which create or download the eicar.com (according to avast!).

I'm not think it is avast!'s fault, but maybe... But I know that I need some help!
If a malware is on my computer, avast! won't be able to eliminate it!

Ohh... just one more thing. This occurs not always but almost always....

Mod.: I ran MBAM today after an update. And also I usually run ESET's online scan.

PS: Again... Sorry for my bad English!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:57:44 PM by 12-es_csaj »

12-es_csaj

Re: avast! can't eliminate files - problem has been here since January
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
I disabled the Windows Search the day when I started this thread. The problem were there, but a bit differently. But all was written in my first post.

Now, I tried again.

I set the File System Shield to Repair, if it fails then Move to Chest and if it fails then Block (no action).
I downloaded eicar.com via SSL to the Desktop.
avast! couldn't move to chest it, it only blocked it.
The eicar.com was there for about a second, and then a .tmp appeared.
I scanned (from context menu) the file, and tried to move it to chest or delete it, avast! gave me the following error: There aren't any space left on the disc (sorry for the bad translation, I translated it from Hungarian  ;D ).

To sum up, there's something that deletes the origin file, prevents avast! from "hurt" it, and creates a .tmp file.

I don't know which process, because avast! writes the browser as the accessing process.

Please help me, I don't want an undeletable trojan or virus or something worse!

12-es_csaj

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Another one (picture)...

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »
And when it get bored, it finishes the play.

Please help me, I don't want an undeletable trojan or virus or something worse!

:'(