Author Topic: avast! Free Antivirus v 6.0.1000 vs Spyware Terminator v 2.8.2.192: error!  (Read 24456 times)

Offline markinson

Hi! First of all, sorry for my english!
In short time, this is my situation:
- my O.S. is Windows XP Professional 32 bit (just updated);
- Spyware Terminator v 2.8.2.192 (tried with different definitions dbase versions);
- Avast! Free Home Edition v 6.0.1000 (tried with different definitions dbase versions).
When I open the GUI of Spyware Terminator (and even if I try to update the dbase) I always receive this message: "Spyware Terminator. Invalid floating point operation.".

I think there is a problem with this side of ST frame (following).

In fact, if the image in the frame appears, suddenly I receive the error.
Uninstalled Avast! 6, no more problems with Spyware Terminator (the same installation that "crashed" having Avast! 6).
And so on: if I roll back to Avast! 5 I have no problem.
I have other computers (for example with Windows 7 Professional 32 bit) and the same configuration: no problems with ST and the new Avast!.
Thank you so much in advance!
markinson (from Italy! :) )
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:31:30 PM by markinson »

SafeSurf

Did you upgrade to Avast v.6 or do a clean install?

Since Spyware Term (ST) is a security software, did you add it to Avast's exclusions and also add Avast to ST exclusions?

Offline markinson

Thank you so much for your answer!  :)

Step by step ...

Did you upgrade to Avast v.6 or do a clean install?
Both!
First I upgraded my Avast 5.1.889 (english version) to Avast 6.
When I received this error, more and more times, I uninstalled Spyware Terminator (using Revo Uninstaller) and clean all my system, keeping mine Avast 6.
Then I installed again ST, but always the same problem.
So, I cleaned once again all my O.S. by Spyware Terminator, installed ST (off-line) and update (always off-line) the ST dbase. In this situation, I mean "off-line", I haven't had no problems!
In fact, "off-line" the frame I just said befor never appear (because ST needs to be connected to show this banners).
This thesis, I suppose, is supported by the fact that I simulated just 10 minutes ago all the situation in an "isolated" (not connected to internet) virtual machine (WinXP Pro 32 bit, but not updated). I haven't had no problems!

More ...
I restored all my O.S. from an Acronis backup image (a snapshot about of January).
Then, I re-installed all my software (in particular: ST and Avast 5, not 6!).
I installed ST, updated its dbase (connecting to internet), and keeping my "old" Avast 5.
No problems.
So, I upgraded to Avast 6 (using the updating procedure in Avast 5) and here is this damned problem!
In this way, I understood (I think! ::) ) that there is something between Avast 6 and Spyware Terminator.

And so on ...
I uninstalled Avast 6 (by Revo Uninstaller, reboot, etc. etc.) and downloaded (from Avast official site) the new cleaner of Avast to remove all (potentially) debris (reboot, etc. etc.), too.
Then installed Avast 6.0.1000 (this time the italian version). The clean was so deep (I suppose) that I had to register once again!
Anyway, I received the same error.

Since Spyware Term (ST) is a security software, did you add it to Avast's exclusions and also add Avast to ST exclusions?
I'll do this attempt and I'll be back as soon as possible.

I hope I was enough able to explain the situation ...  :P
Thank you so much!

Daris

Spyware Terminater has Anti Virus also I'm assuming you're only running the Spyware protecton....I had Spyware Terminator maybe 5 years ago or longer...With the Crawler Toolbar....Sorry to say cause I did like it at the time...Super Antispyware and MalwareBytes found dozens of Trojans on my computer which was running full version of Spyware Terminator....Also ST is a big program with the download including the Full version for which you get a choice on installin on the install ...I wasn't too happy about the program at that time...Maybe they fixed it since then....Also I did some research on the company and they did have Lawsuits against them with the Crawler toolbar....I'm guessing that they are a better company than before, and cleaned up their mess...And yes Avast does have issues with Spyware terminator especially on the install because ST has the Anti Virus....Actualy ST has problems with alot of different Malware protection programs even on the scan, and seems to block the installation.....Also when I uninstalled ST it does leave alot of reminants on your comp...Just my opinion...Luck and hope it works out for you.

Offline markinson

I'll do this attempt and I'll be back as soon as possible.

I've done all the possible attempts, but I always receive that error (in all Avast modules, I mean the AutoSandbox, too).
If I disable the Avast resident shield (for 10 minutes, for examples), then close ST from the systray and wait some minutes, launching ST (and Avast is still not fully operating) I obtain no error (and, maybe a randomness, the banner frame remains blank).

@Daris  :)
First: thank you so much for your suggestions!

To answer all your questions ...
Spyware Terminater has Anti Virus also I'm assuming you're only running the Spyware protecton....
You're right!  ;)
I didn't install the antivirus provided with ST.

More (1): I have never used the Crawler Toolbar.

More (2): when I removed ST I used Revo Uninstaller.

Anyway, I'm enough sure the problem is: WinXP Pro + Avast 6 + Spyware Terminator.

Once more clue: starting my pc I decided not to connect to internet. Then opened ST (so the banner frame was necessarily blank!), I didn't obtain any error.

Some ideas?
TNX  :)
markinson

SafeSurf

I see a few problems.  First you are using Revo to uninstall Avast, which you cannot do.  You need to use the Avast Uninstaller Tool only: http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe - I'll explain more about this later.  Many security software, especially antivirus, cannot be removed properly using Revo, even though it is a good software.  Instead you need to use the AV Uninstaller.

Second, I suggest that you uninstall ST from your machine then reboot.  If you want another program as a backup, use MBAM (Malwarebytes) http://www.malwarebytes.org/.  They have a free (on demand) or one-time paid (resident) version.  If you use the paid version, add MBAM to Avast exclusions.  Most of us use MBAM and there are no conflicts with Avast.

Third, I also suggest that you download and install CCleaner, a free system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.  You will want to run this after uninstalling ST and again after uninstalling each version of Avast (see below).  I also use it after each online session for Internet cleaning and many of us here also use it as well.

Problem:  It appears that when you restored from your previous image, you now have Avast 5 and 6 on your machine.  So I suggest that you uninstall Avast (all versions) and do a clean install:

1. Save a copy of Avast 6.0.1000 and save it to your HDD if you have not already:
Free:    http://files.avast.com/files/avast6final/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.  Uninstall version 5 and reboot into Safe Mode.  Uninstall version 6 and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot.  Run CCleaner after boot up.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let me know if the above fixes your problem.  Thank you.

Offline markinson

Once again, thank you so much for your answer and sorry for my english!  :)

So ...

I see a few problems.  First you are using Revo to uninstall Avast, which you cannot do.  You need to use the Avast Uninstaller Tool only [...]
Just done. I tried this ways:
  • uninstalling Avast by its uninstaller (and reboot), then installed again --> no way;
  • uninstalling Avast using Revo Uninstaller (so, by Avast uninstaller first and then by RU) --> no way;
  • uninstalling Avast by its uninstaller and using Avast Uninstaller Tool, too --> no way.

Second, I suggest that you uninstall ST from your machine then reboot.
Just, done --> no way.

If you want another program as a backup, use MBAM (Malwarebytes) http://www.malwarebytes.org/.  They have a free (on demand) or one-time paid (resident) version.  If you use the paid version, add MBAM to Avast exclusions.  Most of us use MBAM and there are no conflicts with Avast.
You're right and in fact I'm using MBAM, but, as you said, the freeware version, doesn't offer a resident shield by spyware (in a different way of Spyware Terminator and SpyBot Search & Destroy).

Third, I also suggest that you download and install CCleaner, a free system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. [...]
I use CCleaner since its name was Crap Cleaner (v 1.32.xxx)! :D
No way even if I try with CCleaner.  :'(

Problem:  It appears that when you restored from your previous image, you now have Avast 5 and 6 on your machine. 
Sorry, I've done an incorrect explanation!
The image that I have restored is a fully functionally O.S. that completely overwrite the existing installation. So, it's as I have a new O.S. ... I mean: restoring an image created with Acronis True Image is as a totally roll back of all the machine. Ultimately, once I restored the image I have only Avast 5 on my system.

So I suggest that you uninstall Avast (all versions) and do a clean install:
1. Save a copy of Avast 6.0.1000 and save it to your HDD if you have not already:
Free:    http://files.avast.com/files/avast6final/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.  Uninstall version 5 and reboot into Safe Mode.  Uninstall version 6 and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot.  Run CCleaner after boot up.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let me know if the above fixes your problem.  Thank you.
All done, but no way ... I'm so sorry!

I can tell you this ...
I was not connected to the internet and I installed once again ST (obviously the dbase was not updated). I have deactivated the ST "shield". Opened it, no problem.
Then I activated its "shield" and, again, no problem.
So, I connected to the internet ... and suddenly, as I launched ST, here is the damned error!
Before all of these, I set up all the necessary exceptions (both in ST and in Avast).
Now I'll try to switch off my pc, then start it again and launch ST, befor the connection ... I'll tell you.
Thank you very very very much for your patience!!!
markinson

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

You're right and in fact I'm using MBAM, but, as you said, the freeware version, doesn't offer a resident shield by spyware (in a different way of Spyware Terminator and SpyBot Search & Destroy).
It seems like there may be some conflict with ST and Avast.  Have you considered upgrading MBAM Free to MBAM Pro (paid, which offers resident protection) and getting rid of ST?

My other question is do you use Teatimer (TT) in Spybot (SB)?  Many others have reported conflicts with TT and Avast.

Just to clarify, what version of Avast do you now have installed on your machine?  Don't worry, I do have a lot of patience.  :D

Offline markinson

Hi, Guys!
Here I'm. Sorry for delay!!!  :P

@Tech
Markinson, please, consider http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19387.msg607589#msg607589
I'm so sorry for this problem. I've take a look to the image you posted and I understood the problem. I have never thought something like that! Please, sorry me! How I could set right this situation?

@SafeSurf
Thanks a lot once again!!!  ;)
It seems like there may be some conflict with ST and Avast.
I think so. I contacted ST Team and I said them to take a look to this thread, just to have all the possible informations.
The "strange thing" is that this error is only in a Windows XP Professional pc ... in other machine it's all ok (with other O.S., I mean).

Have you considered upgrading MBAM Free to MBAM Pro (paid, which offers resident protection) and getting rid of ST?
I prefer ( :P ) to use only freeware software or open source ...

My other question is do you use Teatimer (TT) in Spybot (SB)?  Many others have reported conflicts with TT and Avast.
Great!  :D
We have the same ideas!!!
In fact I decided to install, in the pc with O.S. WinXP Professional, SpyBot and its resident shield (TeaTimer, Immunize, and so on): no problems! No crash!

Just to clarify, what version of Avast do you now have installed on your machine?  Don't worry, I do have a lot of patience.  :D
Now I decided to install and have Avast 6.0.1000, waiting for a solution (coming from Avast! or ST).

I repeat: the resident shield of ST doesn't crash the pc, only if I launch the GUI of ST I receive that kind of error.
Something more:
  • the problem appears in 95% of situations, but not always;
  • the problem appears not depending to the internet connection open or close (only if I install ST as "new", and consequently the dbase is out of date, I don't receive the error, but, as I update ST, here is the "crash" --> more: if I try to roll back the dbase - deleting the new dbase under Documents and Settings, and so on - the problem is always there).

SafeSurf, If you'll come to Italy we'll have a big big beer together!!!  ;D

SafeSurf

In fact I decided to install, in the pc with O.S. WinXP Professional, SpyBot and its resident shield (TeaTimer, Immunize, and so on): no problems! No crash!
If you do experience problems with SB with TT, people who use both tell us it is TT that is the problem.  So just keep that in the back of you mind if you need to de-immunize or uninstall:

Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html.
- How to disable Spybot-S&D (temporarily).  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html .  Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner. TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.

I'm glad so far the suggestions I've given you have worked out.  MBAM Free will be fine.  Just remember to update the definitions PRIOR to scanning every time.  I like free stuff too. ;)

I still think for some reason ST is the problem.  IMO, I would go without it and stay with MBAM and Avast and now you have SB...that should cover you for protection. 

You can if you like try the Pre-Release version of Avast 6.0.1021 (beta)
Free: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1021/setup_av_free.exe and you can do this as an upgrade from your existing v.6.0 or a clean install to see if this fixes your problems, or just leave everything alone for now and see how things work out.

Thank you for your offer if I come to Italy. ;)  I've never been there but would like to visit some day.  First I need to fix your problem though.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Offline markinson

@SafeSurf
Great!  ;)

If you do experience problems with SB with TT, people who use both tell us it is TT that is the problem.  So just keep that in the back of you mind if you need to de-immunize or uninstall: [...]
No problems until today ...  :P

I'm glad so far the suggestions I've given you have worked out.  MBAM Free will be fine.  Just remember to update the definitions PRIOR to scanning every time.  I like free stuff too. ;)
All right!

I still think for some reason ST is the problem.
I'm absolutely agree!!! The only strange thing is that the problem appears in my Windows XP Professional ... I mean: if it is a question about Avast vs ST, why it doesn't appear in all the Microsoft O.S.?

You can if you like try the Pre-Release version of Avast 6.0.1021 (beta)
I saw this new pre-release (I'm a fan of Softpedia!!!), the only problem is that the pc where I do all my attempts is very important to me ... so I've some fear ...

Thank you for your offer if I come to Italy. ;)  I've never been there but would like to visit some day.  First I need to fix your problem though.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.
Now I decided to install both SpyBot and Spyware Terminator.
SpyBot --> (immunize, TT, etc. etc.) --> no problems
Spyware Terminator --> always the same problem --> waiting for a solution

At this point, I think there is something in the "evolution" of the update of the "first install" of ST.
I repeat:
  • the first time I install ST (so, with a out of date dbase), I haven't no problem (not connected to the net);
  • suddenly I update ST, here is the problem and it remains even if I remove all elements update (I use some tricks to understand what change during updating  ;)).

I'm having a glass of wine to your health, too!!!  ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Spybot is not really recommended to run with avast as it's scanning technique's are outdated and there have been some confict's and even more so if you have the teatimer active.
I also wouldn't use ST, MBAM is by far the best antimalware out there, you have the free version which is manual update's and scan's or the pro version which is $25 for life time license.

Offline markinson

Hi, Craigb!  :)
Thanks for your answer.

Spybot is not really recommended to run with avast as it's scanning technique's are outdated and there have been some confict's and even more so if you have the teatimer active.
I also wouldn't use ST, MBAM is by far the best antimalware out there, you have the free version which is manual update's and scan's or the pro version which is $25 for life time license.
I'm agree with your opinion, but, I think, there's another problem: why this happens.
I haven't had no problem before and after the installation of SpyBot.
I always have had problems with the use (installation and after the update) of Spyware Terminator, only in a Windows XP Professional.
Which is the difference between Avast! 5 and Avast! 6 that determines this error in Spyware Terminator?
This is the point ... I think.
Thank you!

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
markinson
I'm using Avast 6.0.1000 Free with ST 2.8.2.192 on Vista Home Basic SP2 and have no incompatibility problems. Recently I had some problem with Avast scanning my computer and ST was under suspicion. But the real cause was in another program (even in its old setup file). I am not sure what program is guilty in your case but I would like you not to hurry and accuse ST.
May the FOSS be with you!