Author Topic: Firefox 4 being downloaded at the speed of light  (Read 7296 times)

Hermite15

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox 4 being downloaded at the speed of light
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
I won't be downloading it any time soon, I'm waiting a while to let most add-ons to be updated so they are compatible with FF4.

Been through that hassle before with a number of add-ons that I use regularly not being compatible.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »
Loving the groups at the moment, great idea :)

David, how will you know that all are updated? ;)
The only ones of mine that I use regularly that aren't updated to work are:

• VirusTotal
  • Malware Search

Though to be fair, I don't use that many...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:11:21 PM by spg SCOTT »

Silk0

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
Downloaded already yesterday and I'm liking so far.
Even the few add-ons I use are compatible in this version which is great.

And is crazy how the number is increasing (~ 5000 downloads per minute). Can't wait to see how many downloads are going to be done in 24 hours.

Update

3,000,000th Download was reached on 10:15 PM (GMT +0)

Downloads dropped down to ~ 4300 per minute.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:20:59 PM by Silk0 »

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »
@spgscott : disable compatibility check for a few weeks, it's no big deal and that will get you VirusTotal up and running on FF4 ;)... there are some real incompatibilities, VT isn't one of them, they just didn't bother updating the max version line in the xpi.

if you want to do it and you don't know how, just ask me, there two ways ;)

edit: I had VTZilla disabled purposely for a while, I just re-enabled it, it is compatible, so no need to use any trick for it, what version have you got? mine is 1.0. I guess you haven't updated it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:38:37 PM by Logos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »
David, how will you know that all are updated? ;)
The only ones of mine that I use regularly that aren't updated to work are:
  • VirusTotal
  • Malware Search

Though to be fair, I don't use that many...

I use both of those and I have 34 others to keep them company, plus themes also. So I would imaging that several others would be effected.

Just checked and I have loads that would have to wait update. Not sure if I would want to disable compatibility checking though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:38:40 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:36:55 PM »
@spgscott : disable compatibility check for a few weeks, it's no big deal and that will get you VirusTotal up and running on FF4 Wink... there are some real incompatibilities, VT isn't one of them, they just didn't bother updating the max version line in the xpi.

if you want to do it and you don't know how, just ask me, there two ways Wink

edit: I had VTZilla disabled purposely for a while, I just re-enabled it, it is compatible, so no need to use any trick for it, what version have you got? mine is 1.0. I guess you haven't updated it.

Not such a big deal really, I have VT in a separate group now so it is slightly redundant  ;D

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 03:43:28 AM »
I'm waiting to download, too. There will undoubtedly be an update in a week or two. I've already heard of some outdated system driver issues but didn't bother to check it out. Of course, that would be a good thing if FF4 caused people to update their drivers! 8)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »
@spgscott : disable compatibility check for a few weeks, it's no big deal and that will get you VirusTotal up and running on FF4 ;)... there are some real incompatibilities, VT isn't one of them, they just didn't bother updating the max version line in the xpi.

if you want to do it and you don't know how, just ask me, there two ways ;)

Tech I have the same the version and it won't enable any ideas ???
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
Tech ??? ;D

...okay, from Logos :D : I just found that the extension is saved here on the disk in a location where I keep modified xpi's.Did that a while ago, August last year it seems, so sorry for the wrong info, the extension "as is" is not compatible:

>>> 1 uninstall what you got in FF (the VT extension)
    2 go get it again either on Mozilla add-ons site or VT site
    3 don't try to install it again, instead save it to disk

4 you must open it (the xpi) with any archiver, and mdoify this line inside the install.rdf file so that it appears so:

<em:maxVersion>4.0*</em:maxVersion>

... then save what you did and drag the extension to the add-ons panel in Firefox.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:05:49 AM by Logos »

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
there's another slightly modified link to FF4 download stats:
http://glow.mozilla.org/#arc

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
I won't be downloading it any time soon, I'm waiting a while to let most add-ons to be updated so they are compatible with FF4.

Been through that hassle before with a number of add-ons that I use regularly not being compatible.

yeah waiting on a compatible McAfee site adviser add on. 
Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

doktornotor

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 10:33:47 AM »
yeah waiting on a compatible McAfee site adviser add on.  

Waste of time. Outdated DB, plus highly questionable vendor practices regarding rating and SA-related business in general. See e.g. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=290710

A user with 2,359,021 reviews ( 1,410.64 posts per day) - oh rly?  ::) :-X

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
Tech ??? ;D

...okay, from Logos :D : I just found that the extension is saved here on the disk in a location where I keep modified xpi's.Did that a while ago, August last year it seems, so sorry for the wrong info, the extension "as is" is not compatible:

>>> 1 uninstall what you got in FF (the VT extension)
    2 go get it again either on Mozilla add-ons site or VT site
    3 don't try to install it again, instead save it to disk

4 you must open it (the xpi) with any archiver, and mdoify this line inside the install.rdf file so that it appears so:

<em:maxVersion>4.0*</em:maxVersion>

... then save what you did and drag the extension to the add-ons panel in Firefox.

Logos that option has worked and I finally got VT running in my FF v4.0 addon ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:10:04 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

doktornotor

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »
A much easier way to work around compatibility checks: Add-on Compatibility Reporter  ;)